"Fishing Beast"

• Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

"Fishing Beast"

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Well I have truly been amazed at how much I have learned about whitetail hunting in the past year. Certainly learned as much in the past 10 months as I have in the past 10 years. I went fishing the other day and got to thinking, I wish I could learn as much about fishing as I have about buck hunting.

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a fishing equivalent of the hunting beast. There has to be some fishermen out there that are as passionate about fishing as we are about whitetail hunting. Although I enjoy fishing, I can't claim to be any good at it and I think I would enjoy it more if there was a place to go to learn more quickly.

Just like public hunting grounds still carry mature bucks despite pressure, our public waters still contain trophy fish, however you can't catch them with every cast. Someone out there has had to have figured out some consistent patterns with fish feeding and how to predict it and how to predict what bait will work when. Anyhow, I realized the other day that I was fishing the same way I used to whitetail hunt. I was hoping someone knew of a good starting point?

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: "Fishing Beast"

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:06 pm

I was really hoping we could get some "beast" type fishermen to contribute here.... But, just like hunting most guys are tight lipped about there secrets.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Maybe too broad of a request, as like with hunting, people usually pick a species and focus on it. What kind of fish are you looking to catch? Pike (Northern, walleye, muskie)? Bass (smallies, Largemouth, striper)? Catfish (channels, flatheads)?
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:06 pm

It's because the topic is to large. Choose a species. Each one is a completely different, and requires different strategies at different times in different seasons. You have to know your body of water, the type of structure The fish tend to hold and relate to and just like hunting strategies for bear won't work for Whitetail deer, fishing strategies for walleye won't work for Pike or brook trout or lake trout etc. Remember that fishing is not only for three months like hunting Whitetail would be. Seasonal patterns will be different for each species. The best times to get trophies is usually when the fish are starting to stage for spawning or early in the spawn. There will be plenty of other times when these big fish Are vulnerable as well. Of course fishing quality water with big fish is the most important part.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Dhurtubise wrote: Of course fishing quality water with big fish is the most important part.

That is the most important thing to do and also more often than not, the toughest thing to do. I guess what I was getting at is that even on the lesser quality bodies of water, big fish still exist, and it seems like there are still guys getting it done on a consistent basis. But I guess I do realize that the guys catching those are also the ones spending the most time on the water.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:13 pm

i love to ice fish....and i don't mind telling how i catch fish, just not were :mrgreen: :naughty:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:43 pm

BigHunt wrote:i love to ice fish....and i don't mind telling how i catch fish, just not were :mrgreen: :naughty:

I gotta respect that!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:45 pm

dan wrote:..... just like hunting most guys are tight lipped about there secrets.

I believe this is even more true with fishing. And like Bighunt said more secret about the spots than the techniques.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 am

Why don't you choose a species you would like to target and see where the thread goes. Techniques and strategies will be specific to that fish. I don't think anyone on this site is looking for bear dens in hopes of intercepting one in a staging area.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 am

Dhurtubise wrote:Why don't you choose a species you would like to target and see where the thread goes. Techniques and strategies will be specific to that fish. I don't think anyone on this site is looking for bear dens in hopes of intercepting one in a staging area.

Ok, but I am going to start a new thread for it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”