Favorite lures ?

• Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Favorite lures ?

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:16 am

Lets see your favorite lures and hear about what you catch with them... It seems to me, most lures are designed to catch fishermen rather than fish... So, you might be helping some fellow beasts out in there decision making. 8-)

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Favorite lures ?

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:22 am

walleye- flicker shads, roundhead jigs, or slip bobbers set-ups, spinner rigs with night crawlers or gulp crawlers if the sheephead are bad

northern- #4 or #5 mepps spinners, 5 for diamonds dare devil.

bass- rubber worms, frogs, chug bugs, pop'r, night crawlers with a sinker 18" up the line from the hook.

I have done ok with the banjo minnow as well.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:39 am

My favorite lure all around is the Mepps aglia... No buck tail. Silver blade. Size 0 - 3 have a different body than 4 & 5's

This is the body size I use for pike and other big fish. (#4 & #5) I have caught tons of pike on these and some walleye and some bass along with occasional surprises.

This is the size I catch crappie, white bass, small mouth, etc. on. Note the different body type. (size 0-3)
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:21 pm

hot 'n tot thin fin in blue and silver or just a gold Aberdeen hook and split shot with a crawler or leach. catch all my walleyes on these 2 rigs but I only fish at night with them. not much of a daytime fisherman unless the gills are hitting then its a gold Aberdeen with a bobber.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:45 pm

hands down my favorite rig is a slider hook

I vary my plastic based on the water I am fishing, but I have caught small mouth, large mouth, striper, and walley with these combine with a variety of different plastics. They are fully snagless when you twist and hook them back into the plastic, e.g. 6" plastic worm, pumkin color..

I can fish a rocky bottom or the slop with them to skip over Lilly pads

plus the action you get with them is just plain fun :dance:

the plastic's tail will be positioned slightly off the bottom, so you can slow fish them in any condition...

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Pounder and Hard Heads are my main stay.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:01 am

I like to fish for trout and panfish. I like using Panther Martin spinners for trout. I usually use the little buck-tail spinners they make. Link: http://www.panthermartin.com/Lures/spin ... &dcolor=BY. I have caught some dandy brown trout and a few big brookies too with these spinners. I also use Mepps Aglia super-lite spinners too. When I fly fished alot, I would usually stick to nymphs and wet flies. I really liked the Green Emerger, Hare's ear Nymph, and Wooly Buggers. I even used a few streamers.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
JJWI

Unread postby JJWI » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:36 am

Mepps #3 Comit Minnow. Bought one last night, went fishing with the kids this morning by the dam. First cast out, a white bass hit it right away. Caught 4 white bass with it in 15 minutes! Walked a little down by shore, caught a 16 inch large mouth! Then I lost it on a snag! :cry: My son had a #0 Comit minnow on his and he was getting strikes on it also. He just gets excited and sets the hook to hard. I then switched to a #3 Aglia long blade with a white dressing on it and started getting in to the bass again. Until I snagged and lost that one too! :cry: But I was pretty amazed at the action that Comit minnow got on a pretty heavily fished area.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:28 pm

I fish almost exclusively for Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Northern. I have 6 or 7 different tackle boxes in the garage containing what seems like every lure ever made. When I go fishing I end up taking a backpack with 2 clear plano cases and a number of different plastic baits. I think the majority of my bigger bass, 5 lb +, have been caught on soft baits rigged Texas style with out a weight. I have a canoe so I mainly fish smaller lakes and ponds with less boat traffic. I would say that other than plastics my other choices are swim jigs, Rapalas, and frog baits. I love Jitterbugs at night. I don't use live bait anymore, I used to fish bass tournaments and got accustomed to just artificials. I will use a live bluegill or trout for Pike though while I cast lures on a different line.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:36 pm

dan wrote:Image

I bought some cheaper generic versions of these with different colored blades this spring and was impressed. Caught rainbow trout, LM bass, bluegill and a couple of channel cats on them.

My go to is tube jigs; red body, yellow skirt. Caught 6 bass in 10 minutes tonight with them.

The Flicker Shad and Bitsy minnow I bought a month ago work pretty well.

Never been much of a fan of plastic worms, but caught the second largest LM bass of my life on one earlier this year.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:35 am

I think the majority of my bigger bass, 5 lb +, have been caught on soft baits rigged Texas style with out a weight.

Funny you say that... I am a big fan of taking the weight off too... I free line and feel you can get much better action and detect bites better with no weight.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:28 pm

The more I fish the more I realize how important the hooks are. TroKar hooks for bass fishing make a difference. They are surgically sharp and their shape make them punch through the tough bass mouth... and hook up easier with softer hooksets.

Also, if you are Lindy rigging or pulling blades for walleyes, swap out your hooks with Mustad Slow Death or TroKar ReVolve hooks and just give them a try. Feed the crawler all the way up the shank of the hook and pinch off leaving an inch of tail. They are a basic Aberdeen hook with a bend in the shank. The crawler slowly augers through the water. Walleyes can't stand it. If the fish hits, they get hooked. They almost always hook up in the side of the mouth. I bet we caught 30% more fish this year simply because we weren't missing many of the ones that would strike.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:32 am

Found a video showing how to use the slow death hook rig I mentioned. Here he bends an aberdeen hook himself. He shows how to tie the hook onto the leader with a palomar leaving a 1/4" tag end to help hold the bait, and shows how to bait the hook.

Starts around the 9:30 mark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnM_8xYWTbA
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:39 am

Cod jigs. These are homemade "pipe" jigs. I use others too that I don't have a pic of.....They weigh about a pound, some smaller-some bigger.

And this is what I catch with them.

Giant(for the species) 29lb CUSK.

Real big cod.

Whale cod!

Medium (25+-lbs) hake.

One coming in. (cod)

Big fat hake. (jig still in mouth)

I could go on and on with the fish. Just as I like to slay big bucks, I also love catching big fish!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:54 am

Spysar wrote:Cod jigs. These are homemade "pipe" jigs. I use others too that I don't have a pic of.....They weigh about a pound, some smaller-some bigger.

And this is what I catch with them.

Giant(for the species) 29lb CUSK.

Real big cod.

Whale cod!

Medium (25+-lbs) hake.

One coming in. (cod)

Big fat hake. (jig still in mouth)

I could go on and on with the fish. Just as I like to slay big bucks, I also love catching big fish!

Junkie. :lol: Those are awesome lures & very impressive fish!

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”