Rice Lake , Ontario

• Advertisement

HB Store

E72
500 Club

Rice Lake , Ontario

Unread postby E72 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:04 pm

Heading up there with my family for the first time this July . Wondering if anyone has fished there at all ? Thanks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Re: Rice Lake , Ontario

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon May 13, 2013 2:32 pm

I have years ago. It's a walleye factory. Loads of little guys. It a lrge weedy lake with a max depth of about 20 feet. Loads of slop for largemouth bass. They top off at 5-6 lbs in that lake. there is good fishing where the Indian river comes in. Good a smallies in at the inflow and outflow of the otonabe river. It has a healthy population of smaller musky but July is a tough time to target them. Don't be surprised if you pick up the odd one as an in incidental catch. Lots of bluegill and sunfish too for the kids.

The lake is very productive but also highly pressured. It's in the heart of the kawarthas, basically cottage country for Toronto. Any reason you picked this destination. It's a busy spot being a short drive away from Toronto?

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks for the reply. Well mainly since this will be our first fishing vacation ,I wanted it to be successful one for my wife and son catching fish. I havent been to Canada since the late 90s and they have no idea that fishing is 100 times better there than here in Ohio. :lol: I heard about the great numbers of good sized panfish and good numbers for bass catches in Rice. Walleye would be a bonus so really catching anything and having a couple meals would be great. We are staying at a family friendly resort that Ive heard nothing but good things, so that was important too. My son is only 9 right now and my wife likes a swimming pool, which they have. Just hoping its something we will want to go back every year for wether its Rice or somewhere else. ;) oh and also only a 9 hr drive.
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Tue May 14, 2013 9:52 am

Fishing is way better in my neck of the woods. But the drive is not. I'm sure you'll have a good time though. Enjoy.

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:11 am

I don't doubt that at all. When he's a little older we might venture up your way. Thanks.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue May 14, 2013 1:41 pm

I have to ask Dhurt......how big is that pike? Looks like a dandy.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”