Is deer hunting and fishing the same thing?

• Advertisement

HB Store

kenn1320
500 Club

Is deer hunting and fishing the same thing?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

I took my kids 7 & 9 out fishing today at a pond. This was their first outing, other then 20min the night before at a different lake with brand new poles. I set up both poles, baited hooks and the action was intense. What I cant explain is my daughter who is the youngest, absolutely spanked the gills and my boy caught maybe half as many. The night before 4 fish were caught, she got 3 of them. So how do you explain her success over his? They are both casting out a bobber with a worm under it. Is she better at fishing cause she scouts the lakes, works harder, has better equipment, "wants it more", or is she simply just luckier? Since the answers to all those questions is obvious, it has to be plain old luck. Ive sat in a shanty using the exact same bait as a friend one time, he was catching them 10 to my 1. Another time I was slamming the fish ice fishing with my brother n law in a shanty. I was catching fish left and right, he wasnt getting anything. A tip up went off and we ran out and I let him get it, but the fish wasnt there. We heard noise in the shanty and we looked at each other and ran to find my pole/bobber sitting there and his new pole was gone. The only bite he got and he wasnt holding the pole. He didnt know the area, so I said use my pole and Ill go get you a new one. I was gone over 1hr and brought back lunch. I asked how many did you catch? He said not a single bite. I couldnt believe it, but why would he lie? I gave him his new pole and sat down and didnt get but a couple bites of my sub and down goes my bobber and I pull up a couple pound bass. He was like this is bullch!t. So was I better at fishing, did I have some secret? No, just plain lucky is how I chalk it up. Whats your thoughts?

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Zap

Re: Is deer hunting and fishing the same thing?

Unread postby Zap » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:56 pm

No comparison.

The rut brings with it alot of luck thou.

JMO.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:07 pm

some poeple just have it. ive seen it over and over. i have a friend that can out fish anyone with a piece if string and hook, he's just "got it" i cant call it luck because it happens all the time. he could go up against a guy with a $50k bass boat loaded with everything and he could be floating on a intertube with one crappy pole and out fish him. :doh:
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:37 am

is it luck? maybe... or maybe the bait is positioned a little bit different on one hook by one fisherman. Maybe the line is a different type, or different test on one of the poles...
Maybe one fisherman wiggles his bobber or checks his line to often, maybe one stairs at it waiting for a bite... If you believe in luck, go buy a lucky rabbits foot (which by the way, did not bring much luck for the rabbit ) But to be the better fishermen you need to figure out why someone is out fishing you, and make changes.
In that regard, it is somewhat like hunting. You create your luck. Its not a light that shines down from the heavens....

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”