musky/northern fishing

• Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: musky/northern fishing

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:02 am

dan wrote:Any pic's of the pike? any size to it?

No, and no. I was not overly pleased that the guy we were with just unhooked it at boat side. Oh well.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:59 am

muddy wrote:
dan wrote:Any pic's of the pike? any size to it?

No, and no. I was not overly pleased that the guy we were with just unhooked it at boat side. Oh well.

Common practice up here Mud... Its probably a good idea to explain you don't see many pike and might want a pic before fishing.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:16 am

Sorry for the non-pic, didn't know Mark was going to move that fast. :oops:
I beleive Mark thought he was doing you a favor......he hates pike when musky fishing.

We will have another trip again Muddy......a lot of respected fisherman had a tough bite last weekend after making the calls this week.

No excuse on my part, I promised you a musky and we will get you one on the next trip or die trying.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:21 pm

No worries. ;)

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Sounds like you guy's had a typical weekend of musky fishing.

The only way to catch them is to put in lot's and lot's of time and it can get frustrating at times. I read that a musky might have a 15 minute feeding window and you need to be in the right place at the right time. I always tell people if you like non-stop action you probably shouldn't take up musky fishing because you will be bored right away. Some people don't have the patience and it's common to go weeks without a fish in the boat but when you catch one it's all worthwhile.

It's more like hunting than fishing so that's probably why I enjoy it so much.
I will be heading up to Canada next week with my Dad to try our luck on Lake Of The Woods.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:32 am

Dewey wrote:I read that a musky might have a 15 minute feeding window and you need to be in the right place at the right time. I always tell people if you like non-stop action you probably shouldn't take up musky fishing because you will be bored right away.

Don't read, just do - that's where the valuable lessons are learned. Fish are weird, period. Fish "might" have a 15 minute feeding window is the same as saying tomorrow they might have an hour feeding window. . . It's not something to overthink.

To understand the passion, you have to expect the reality of a strike or follow opportunity on EVERY SINGLE CAST. . . If you're head is in it to win it like mine is every single time I'm on the water, you'll never get bored. Seeing a fish doesn't break a trip, it only makes it ;) Catching a fish is just icing on the cake.

Do you get bored in your treestands? Hopefully not because if you do, you're head and/or heart isn't into it. If it is, you expect the unexpected every minute - why else would you move your head at a snails pace like an owl to see what crunched over to your left? Because you're not bored and you're whole being is into the hunt and it leaves you :D every drive home... even if you come home empty handed with as many clean arrows as you left with.

Every cast could be THE cast, and that's why it never gets boring. When you finally connect on that fish you've been hunting for days - if it takes that long - all that time spent chasing is forgiven and there you are, in your element with a smile on your face and a picture that says a thousand words.

Mark Lijewski, who I'm assuming Hodag had take he and Muddy out, is as passionate about the sport as you can be - he's like me. Muddy, when you hook up to a Pike while on the musky prowl, it's seemingly a nuicance who not only faked you out, but consumed a cast that COULD HAVE produced a musky :lol: I know, it's blatently taking the resource for granted, but hey, when you're musky fishing and your a freak like some of us, even putting sun screen on or peeing out of the boat is time wated, lol. , I pee with my rod in my hand - I waste no time.

Just how big was this northern, anyway?
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:31 am

Dewey wrote:Sounds like you guy's had a typical weekend of musky fishing.

The only way to catch them is to put in lot's and lot's of time and it can get frustrating at times. I read that a musky might have a 15 minute feeding window and you need to be in the right place at the right time. I always tell people if you like non-stop action you probably shouldn't take up musky fishing because you will be bored right away. Some people don't have the patience and it's common to go weeks without a fish in the boat but when you catch one it's all worthwhile.

It's more like hunting than fishing so that's probably why I enjoy it so much.
I will be heading up to Canada next week with my Dad to try our luck on Lake Of The Woods.

Dewey,

I will respectfully disagree with about everything you said.

I plan on and usually do catch a fish on every outing. If it took me weeks between fish I'd take up golf. :lol:

15 minute windows can happen but nothing with these stupid fish is consistant. On must adjust everytime out on the water.

Mark Lijewski is who we hooked up with for a morning....the man is no doubt the best of the best.

Sam, haven't fished with you yet.....are you in the same class as Mark? I know I'm not and freely admidt it. Like them or not, tournaments tell alot about a fisherman and when he wins the WMT points standings year in and year out that indicates the man's consistancy. As far as I can see, no one can say the same thing.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:18 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:Sam, haven't fished with you yet.....are you in the same class as Mark? I know I'm not and freely admidt it. Like them or not, tournaments tell alot about a fisherman and when he wins the WMT points standings year in and year out that indicates the man's consistancy. As far as I can see, no one can say the same thing.

Hodag, I did not say that, nor did I suggest that... Read back, brother, I said he's "passionate, like I am". Now, I'm not sure how to answer your egotisticle question, I've never done a compare contrast...

What you know about tournaments is limited to what you see from the sidelines. The WMT hosts only 2 of there many tournaments in the Southern part of the state (Okauchee/Pewaukee), the rest are up north in Vilas, Onieda and surrounding Counties... I suppose a season worth of pre-fishing may help some individuals and I respect that.

No, my ego isn't bruised, but you're blasting someone who consistently boats over 50 legal musky per season fishing part time... I'm guessing that tells you a little bit about what "class" I'm in :roll:

Musky fishing isn't about ranking in a class for comparisons to other people, and that isn't what tournament fishing is about, either! It's about passion, good times and for some, occasionally putting their odds to the test in hopes of making an extra buck - a little icing on the cake, if you will.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Hodag Hunter,

Congrats......you are a better musky fisherman than I am and most of the people I know. Anybody that can catch a musky every time out is a legend in my book. Heck, even a Vilas County legend like Tom Gelb get's skunked more than he is successful.

Did you ever read "Time On The Water" by Bill Gardner? That is a great book about a guy that took a year off of work to musky fish and attempt to win the Vilas Musky Marathon. It was pretty eye opening the challenges he encounterd trying to catch a legal musky. What he experienced is pretty typical for most musky fisherman. These are tough fish to catch and just when you think you have them figured out they give you a weekend like you and Muddy experienced.

I'm not saying they are impossible to catch but I know plenty of people that tried to fish for musky and gave up because of the amount of dedication and casting for hours upon hours with nothing to show for. I takes a special breed to keep at it and I'm pretty sure you know what I mean.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:51 am

Ok guys my last post.....if I offened anyone with my comments I apologize.

Sam, good for you on the 50 fish a season, I haven't broken that mark since kids came along....time is limited. About 30 a year for me.

Dewey, I believe mentioning "usually" every time out I expect to catch a musky. Before this weekend my boat was at 7.58 hours per fish....my hours alone I was about 5.5 (haven't run these calcs yet as the spreadsheet doesn't do an auto calc for this). I do keep a detailed log (xl spreadsheet) of every time out calculating total boat hours, moon phase, hours, water depth, surface temp, baits, wind direction....and so on.

Tom Gelb? The man has caught (2) 50 pound class fish in WI....he is as close to God status as one can get for trophy fish in WI. His style and mine are vastly differnt. I fish number lakes early and chase the bigger ones later in the year as the water warms and then cools again. He has freely admited fishing 21 days in a row with out a strike....when a fish does hit it is usually a dandy. This takes great dedication, if he wanted 20-30 pound fish I'm sure he would catch one just about every outing. I haven't broke 40lbs.....my current goal.

Please look at it this way, my passion is musky fishing, about equal with bowhunting, at times(some years)even more so. When I saw this post by Muddy I dove in head first as this is something I love to do and very good at.

Now bowhunting for mature whitetails I wish I could tell you I shoot one every year, I don't. Not even close. I'm not dedicated enough with all the preseason work, scouting, tracking down new locations every year and so on. Why not? because I'm with family or fishing with the little free time I have. Do I scout preseason, sure, just not what is required to kill a big buck year in and year out.

There are guys on this site that shoot a mature buck every year, sometimes multiple bucks.....something I've never done. But because they do shoot these great animals year in and out I don't get frustrated or mad......I respect them because of the hard work and dedication they have applied to gain the results. I guess the reason being a member here to this site....learn as much as I can.

So again, please no hard feelings.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:39 am

Group hug!

I'm just pumped that I'm gunna buy a musky fishing setup so I don't have to borrow all the time. Anyone have some good used stuff for sale!?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:15 am

I have yet to catch a legal musky... But I have noticed on the outings with Todd ( been out with him for musky 3 times) That each time we have multiple strikes and follow ups. He is always very apologetic and says he usually can boat at least one in a day of fishing. That did not seem right to me either before fishing with him... Seems to me in todays stocked lakes with everybody releasing its a lot easier to boat a lot more fish in less time than back a few years when "the fish of 10,000 casts" and other sayings were created... Not to mention we have much better equipment today.
If you compare it to deer... There are a lot of people who make comments directed at me that there is no way I could legally kill the deer I kill where I kill them. I take this as frustration at ones self accomplishments.
When a hunter/fisherman feels good about how he is doing, its hard to find out someone else in the same area is doing much better.
Harsh words and criticism are easy... Learning what the other person is doing and adding it to what you already know will make you better. We can learn from everyone.
Take the criticism/ questioning with stride. It means your at the top of the game ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:05 am

dan wrote: Harsh words and criticism are easy... Learning what the other person is doing and adding it to what you already know will make you better. We can learn from everyone.

I agree Dan!!

I just hope my posts were not taken the wrong way. Everybody has different levels of skill when it comes to hunting and fishing and I was never questioning anybody's success. Quite the opposite, I show respect for anybody that can catch a musky just about every time out on the water. The point I was trying to get across is that I know hard hard this is to do and I would like to show my respect to these guys. 8-)
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 am

Best musky guide in WI is hands down Scott Kieper out of Hayward area. I've fished with Pete Maina,Dave Dorazio,Steve Jensen and a few others. This guy fishes circles around them.He practically sleeps in his boat,will fish all night if clients are down for it. Dude boats over 200 a season and if you want bonafide 50+" fish he is the one. One look at his portfolio is all one needs. Guy's just on another level and humble about it. He's one of the few that are hammering the true giants while others head for MN and Canada with less pressured water. Tell him JT sent you his way. Down to earth and the real deal. His cell# is 715 216 0664 (Kieper's Catch n Release)

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”