Spring walleyes... Whats the best rig?

• Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Spring walleyes... Whats the best rig?

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:17 pm

What is your go to set up for river walleyes in spring? Bait? Rod? Hook?

Brad

Re: Spring walleyes... Whats the best rig?

Unread postby Brad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:33 pm

I just got into walleye fishing last year by my house. I caught on pretty fast I think and got a bunch of them. I am now using a 7'7 Fenwick Walleye elite tech rod, medium light, with a Pfluger Presidential reel. I spool up with 6 or 8 pound Northland bionic line, or Berkley Xl. I have caught fish in the river on lindy rigs, rapala countdowns on #7 or #9, a phelps floater with split shot, a jig and plastic, jig and minnow, jig and ringworm, and by a plain hook and medium or large fat head and 2 split shot 18 inches above the hook. I caught the most fish on a plain hook and minnow and two split shot, probably 5 to one. Best part is if you get hung up your out about a nickel. I got a few from the boat but did the best wading.
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:19 pm

Pretty much only vertical jig the river... The old tried and true Jig and a minnow. Sometimes use a stinger hook for those short biters. Slow lift and pause. Have to keep the line tight and as vertical as possible.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:23 pm

6ft 8in Sellus spinning rod with shimano stradic(fairly old)... Spooled with 10 lb power pro with three way swivel... 8-10 inch 8 lb leader line on one side with a 1/2 oz pencil weight and the other side with a 4-6 ft flourocarbon leader line with a fly/streamer... Sometimes with 2... Aka Wolf River Rig... Oh and I forgot to add the tipped minnow when they get finicky.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:26 pm

ompaathao wrote:6ft 8in Sellus spinning rod with shimano stradic(fairly old)... Spooled with 10 lb power pro with three way swivel... 8-10 inch 8 lb leader line on one side with a 1/2 oz pencil weight and the other side with a 4-6 ft flourocarbon leader line with a fly/streamer... Sometimes with 2... Aka Wolf River Rig... Oh and I forgot to add the tipped minnow when they get finicky.

Does that work pretty good on rock/boulder bottoms? I am always getting hung up even with the lindy rig, maybe this might work a little better for me.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:38 pm

3/8 oz jig, tipped with a minnow, cheater hook, heavy spinning rod 6.5 ft.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:01 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:
ompaathao wrote:6ft 8in Sellus spinning rod with shimano stradic(fairly old)... Spooled with 10 lb power pro with three way swivel... 8-10 inch 8 lb leader line on one side with a 1/2 oz pencil weight and the other side with a 4-6 ft flourocarbon leader line with a fly/streamer... Sometimes with 2... Aka Wolf River Rig... Oh and I forgot to add the tipped minnow when they get finicky.

Does that work pretty good on rock/boulder bottoms? I am always getting hung up even with the lindy rig, maybe this might work a little better for me.

I tie my own flies/streamers therefore I use a light wire hook I forgot what size they were but If I snag a rock I usually pull back straight causing the hook to straighten out a bit to unsnagg my self...Then I would use a pliers to return it back to original... These hooks I use may seem as if they are weak but even though after bending them back and forth I've manged to pull in some 20-30 lb carps and buffalos with it so I never changed.. Oh and having thr fly/streamer leader line really helps keep it elevated in the water column.. I sometimes use 2 on days when they are hot.. Spawning.. For instance... Just to give them options...Hope this helps... I've fished the Fox, Rock, Wolf, Winnebago,, Crawfish, and St Croix with this method and it works real well...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:55 pm

One thing to keep in mind... mono floats, flurocarbon sinks
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 pm

jlh42581 wrote:One thing to keep in mind... mono floats, flurocarbon sinks

Yes that's true thats why i use such a long leader.. Even though it looks funny fishing this way..

addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 am

For walleyes, my go to set up is a 1/4oz jig with a minnow.

Love the wolf river rig and a few crankbaits as well.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:23 pm

anyone getting any fish? my set-ups, I have a few and it also depends on where I fish. DePere (fox river): jig and minnow. 6 1/2 or 7 foot medium rods 8 lb gamma, (too bad they don't make it anymore). if the fish are hitting lightly, I actually use an 8'6" fly rod that is a 6 weight. I tape an open faced reel on the handle half way up since a fly rods reel seat is all the way in the back. a friend turned my on to this and it's really fun and works great. When I fish the Menominee River in Marinette, I use the same 6 1/2 or 7 foot rods and cast thundersticks. fire tiger or bright yellow with the bright orange belly. fishing Marinette is by far the most fun for me. we where waders and walk the river. we fish an hour before dark to 2 or 3 am.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:01 am

headed up to Marinette tomorrow to fish for 2 1/2 days on the Menomonee River. anyone else fishing the run?
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:03 pm

The guys we saw getting ready to head out tonight as we were loading the boat probably have the best set up........

16' boat, headlamps, big metal tub and 2 spears per boat. Makes me sick. Oh and legally they are to have a 3rd party to count fish at the landing when they return......no one else anywhere in sight.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Fox River Osh Kosh today's Walleyes...

today's entire catch... Includes 9 Walleyes, 20 Whitebass, and 2 crappies...

Wet morning... Cold... Everyone on the boat must of caught atleast 30 fish per person.... The small 6-7 inch WhiteBass kept everyone entertained...Our target was Walleyes... Used a variety of baits and lures... But 2 were favored more... Streamers and gulp were their favorite today.. The 10-15 inch whitebasses and crappies were bonus today.. Lot of boats out.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:53 am

Great catch Ompaathao!

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”