Transporting fishing rods!

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Transporting fishing rods!

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 am

wondering how everyone hauls their fishing rods around? I'm sick of all my stuff getting beat up bouncing around in the back of the truck or the boat when heading out fishing. I have been dreaming up a design of a rod holder that would mount over the bed between cab and bed of truck and hold all the rods vertical behind the rear window. Wondering if fishing rods can take that beating from the wind or if it decreases their life and functional use?

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Transporting fishing rods!

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:13 am

I would be afraid of a bird or road debris hitting them.........then Snap. :shock:

If you remove the reels put them in a cardboard tube or PVC pipe. The tube can work also with the reels hanging out one end but only for a few rods.

All my rods have these for in the rod locker in the boat......Rod Sleeves.

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/n ... /nav_id/40
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am

A week ago I took Carol on a fishing road trip to my childhood haunts and my cooler came un-done from its bungee and slid breaking my best and newest rod in 1/2 :cry:
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:19 am

dan wrote:A week ago I took Carol on a fishing road trip to my childhood haunts and my cooler came un-done from its bungee and slid breaking my best and newest rod in 1/2 :cry:

I feel your pain dan. I tried backing my 2wd truck down into this ditch to launch the boat last summer, we got stuck pulling the boat out I had this kid who never fishes along told him to get all the stuff out of the truck. He lays down 6 fishing poles in the grass next to the truck. I hit the gas, truck fish tails side ways and which rod do I run over and snap in half? My brandy new St Croix I could have cried. The other 5 rods were hand me downs/wal mart rods none of which were valued at more than 20 bucks. My birthday was two weeks later, my girlfriend bought me ANOTHER st croix, and I took it up to the willow flowage and while jigging for walleyes got snagged and it snapped in half! I need a better system for caring for my rods! Those were both freak situations I would say and my biggest concern is transporting them I need something safer than the truck bed!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:I would be afraid of a bird or road debris hitting them.........then Snap. :shock:

If you remove the reels put them in a cardboard tube or PVC pipe. The tube can work also with the reels hanging out one end but only for a few rods.

All my rods have these for in the rod locker in the boat......Rod Sleeves.

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/n ... /nav_id/40

I have a big old PVC pipe for fishing rods but I hate taking the reel off when just running out for a short fishing trip. I just came up with a new design in my head I will have to get working on! I never even considered birds or road debris!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 am

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:41 am

Good links hodag thanks I will have to consider those...that first option would screw right down into the bed of my truck nicely :lol:
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:30 pm

I just bought a few of these for the dusty ride up to the BWCA not too long ago. That way I don't have to take the reels off. Cheap and convenient.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:30 pm

jack_4mn wrote:I just bought a few of these for the dusty ride up to the BWCA not too long ago. That way I don't have to take the reels off. Cheap and convenient.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=255767
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:43 pm

I can't help you with your situation but I can tell you my fishing pole story.
I was 16 and just got my drivers license. I drove up north with my dad's truck. It was a "65" ford 1/2 ton 3 on the tree w/ overdrive. When the truck was in overdrive it free wheeled. This fact will be important later in this story. I spent the week fishing and headed home. I had a bunch of fishing poles laying in the bed of the truck and a table that my Grandpa wanted me to haul home. I was driving on the twisty, hilly lake roads when the table tipped over on the fishing poles. Fearing the worst and hoping to salvage any unbroken poles I stopped on top of a hill and climbed into the topper to upright the table and check on the poles. Once inside I felt the truck rolling. I had it in overdrive so even though it was in gear it was rolling down the hill. I jumped out of the topper and chased the truck down the hill. Thank God I left the door open so I was able to reach in and steer it back onto the road instead of down the hill into the lake below. I finally jumped in and coasted to the bottom of the hill and stopped the truck. I was pretty shook up to say the least. Oh, none of the poles got broke eithor. 8-)
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:30 am

dan wrote:A week ago I took Carol on a fishing road trip to my childhood haunts and my cooler came un-done from its bungee and slid breaking my best and newest rod in 1/2 :cry:

a couple years ago i bought a brand new rod for fishing the lake. i was fishing with some friends and a gf prospect and rigged the rod, set it down to help her. a big fish took that rod as soon as i turned around. i still had the receipt in my pocket it was that new!

also in the last two seasons i broke not one but two high priced fly rods. thank god they had a lifetime warranty.
THA4
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/The.THA4

Unread postby THA4 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:52 am

For about 10 bucks you can make an indestructible rod case out of PVC.... I can carry about 12 rods per tube. Get an 8 or 10 foot chunk of 4-5 inch PVC. Find a PVC Cap that goes onto one end, and a threaded end for the other... Paint if up if you like, but the best part about this is the price. I also like to put rod socks on all of my rods before putting them in the case to help keep the eye-integrity in check. Between 2 of these, I can haul all my muskie and bass gear which totals about 23-25 rods depending on how anal retentive I am being. :shock:

These have also flown out of the boat while I have been traveling at 75 MPH, and hit the pavement, bounced, did NOT get hit by another car, and yet they show no worse for the wear. Thats what I do, hope that helps some!

here are a few pix.

This is the bottom-

Here is the top, closed

Here is the top, opened

Keepin' it real
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:51 am

Good tip THA4!! 8-)
Can't argue with the cost either!!
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks man that helps I already have one of those. Actually its identical. But I hate taking the reels off everytime I am just running down the road for a few hours of fishing. For long trips you can't beat the PVC case.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”