Pike fishermen

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Pike fishermen

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri May 01, 2015 3:08 am

DH I think we pretty much explained the same thing. You're just farther north and the actual spawn is later by calendar dates.

All ice off around International Falls / Fort Francis area. Rainy River was open two weeks ago but everything else north locked up with ice when we flew up for the day.

Drove here Tuesday and will be here all summer.....planing on quite a few trips over the border and looking forward to the great fishing. Ontario has some of the best freshwater fishing in the world.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri May 01, 2015 3:11 am

If you are looking for a TRUE gator... you are a month late ;)

DH curious to the biggest GATOR you have measured... we started fishing your back yard a few years ago... 46/25.5lbs is the biggest our group has pulled.... which in my opinion is equivalent to a Booner whitetail :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Fri May 01, 2015 4:19 am

One guy I fished with pulled in a 51" pig that probably weighed 35+. It was caught in September. He was super fat. My personal best is 27 lbs, 46.5", but I've missed some bigger ones. 30 lbs is really the magic number for me, but anything over 22 lbs is hard to come by (42-44"). On those trips, depending on the body of water, we'll break 20 anywhere from 3 - 20 times, but 22 is hard number, 25 would usually top the list, but not always.

The fish in my avatar is 26 lbs, 46.5". It's my #2 pike. I caught my biggest one on a solo endeavor, funny how it always works that way (you get crap photos).
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sat May 02, 2015 8:31 am

Nice fish!
I am trying to figure out how to catch big pike in open water.
I currently have boat restrictions(18' mod V) most of the videos I've watched are Canda, Wisconsin and Minesota.
Hard to be realistic with that. Michigan does have some nice pike, just wanting to figure it out.
Any other tips you guys have?
I'm all ears.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Sat May 02, 2015 9:14 am

i'm in SE WI, we catch lots of pike. Biggest I got was a 40". We can regularly catch them in the spring using big jerk baits. once july comes we switch over to large suckers on egg sinker rigs down deep.
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun May 03, 2015 8:27 am

Can we get deeper into tactics you guys use in open water?

You touched off on N/NE bays with soft dark bottoms till the temps reach 63 degrees. After they move out to the mouths of bays, what is your tactic then?
The females retreat to deep water points, weeds etc. what lures have you found to be top producers?
Which lures for clear water and for stained water?

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun May 03, 2015 8:29 am

Jeff G wrote:i'm in SE WI, we catch lots of pike. Biggest I got was a 40". We can regularly catch them in the spring using big jerk baits. once july comes we switch over to large suckers on egg sinker rigs down deep.

How about a pic of that rig with a little more detail. Off points?

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun May 03, 2015 1:29 pm

I accidently casted into a tree just over the water one time and when I was shaking it loose it dropped down into the water and I lifted it up 2 or 3 inches and a pike hit it. So, I would start by casting into a tree!

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”