New to coyote hunting

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BRoth82
500 Club

New to coyote hunting

Unread postby BRoth82 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 am

So I just started hunting coyotes after a buddy wanted to try it out, he had a call and a decoy.

The first time we went out was a couple weeks ago just before the full moon, since we have snow here in SW MN and the sky was clear we thought we would setup on the downwind side of a slough bottom out in a fence line. We called for maybe 10 mins and he said he could see one at about 75 yards but the grass prevented him from getting a shot, we switched the call over to a rabbit in distress, 2 mins later we catch another coyote circling downwind of us at 80 yards or so, we tried to howl to get him to stop but he was trotting fast. I was using my deer rifle (a .270 with 130 grain fusions) I put the crosshairs on his front shoulder well as good as i could see them since it was 10:15pm, and touched off the shot. It dropped in its tracks, it was a young male with a good coat. We made to other stands that night and had 3 more coyote howl back at us on the other side of a drainage ditch about 100 yards away but they got our wind and took off.

2nd trip out, we decided to go in the morning this time with the full moon and clear skies again we decided to sit by a slough bottom and a fence row, I could see 300-400 yards around us. We started off with a female challenge call, then switched to a rabbit in distress, not 5 mins later I could see one standing at 60 yards (no idea how it got there without us seeing it) I got it in the scope and dropped that one as well, i hit it a little far back and gut shot it. the exit hole was big and nasty. We made 1 other sit that morning but didn't hear anything, it was an awesome spot though with a lot of fresh tracks that were a day old at the most.

3rd trip, again a little cloud cover but still a bright moon, we decided to go back to the last spot that had all the tracks. We setup behind a rock pile with the moon to our backs with the decoy in the moon light, again we started with a female challenge call and immediately we got 2-3 coyotes to respond within a couple hundred yards of us. After 2 mins or so we switched to a rabbit in distress, I'm facing West and my buddy is 15' to my left, running the call and facing South, we both have rifles. All of the sudden I hear his say oh S**T, oh S**T I turn and there's a coyote at 15 feet barreling down on the decoy, I got it in my scope for a split second before it turned and high tailed it out of there. We both took a running shot at it and missed then a second coyote joined the first, we got them to stop at 150 yards and both touched off a shot but missed. We made on more sit that night and had 6-7 howling back at us a mile away or so.

Things we have figured out: I need to get a smaller caliber gun, they really like the rabbit in distress call, keep watch at all times it can happen quick, one of us needs to bring a shotgun with next time.

This is some addicting hunting that's for sure, and everyone around here wants you to shoot as many as you can. So gaining permission to hunt private pieces is really easy.

Racks&Beards

Re: New to coyote hunting

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:18 am

Sounds like y'all got em figured out. Good job. Keep at it!! It's amazing how fast they can sneak in and nearly be in your lap. I've been turkey hunting in the spring and calling with my decoys out, then get a jump scare cause there was a yote standing 15' off to my side eyeballing my turkey decoys that I never heard sneak in.

When it comes to coyotes though....there's no such thing as "too much gun". :lol:
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:47 am

Awesome!!! I’ve always wanted to try yote hunting it sounds like a good time.
Haste makes waste
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:11 am

Lots of used 223's on the market.

I would go for a good used 22-250 my self hiow ever.

Try day time hunting easier to see them in the day lite.

If they are responding to a distress rabbit must not be many hunting coyotes in that area.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:00 am

Now that the bug has hit me, I bought a call and a decoy. Now looking for a used .223, not that easy around here since few people hunt coyotes by me. Most of the guys that do hunt them circle the sections until they see one in a field and then just unload while they're running away.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:17 am

Its addicting that's for sure. Calling them in is a blast.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:18 am

Williams Gun sight comapny Davison Michigan. 800-530-9028. will ship to your FFL holder.

(3 22-250 used. I would stay away from the bull barrels unless you going to go shoot P dogs and set in one spot all day.http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/sproducts.aspx?srch=y

(8 223 rifles, I reload so I stay away from auto loaders unless you buy or make a case catcher.http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/sproducts.aspx?srch=y

alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:18 am

Williams Gun sight comapny Davison Michigan. 800-530-9028. will ship to your FFL holder.

(3 22-250 used. I would stay away from the bull barrels unless you going to go shoot P dogs and set in one spot all day.http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/sproducts.aspx?srch=y

(8 223 rifles, I reload so I stay away from auto loaders unless you buy or make a case catcher.http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/sproducts.aspx?srch=y

Here it is a good way to loose your guns, truck, hunting rights and pay a huge fine and maybe even some jail time.
the people and the law doesn't take kindly to road hunters.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”