Some tips the group does coyotehunting.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Some tips the group does coyotehunting.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:58 pm

When deer season is over and we have access to many farms here in Michigan we hunt coyotes.

Once at the farm and the truck doors are shut there is no talking. We use our own signs and signals to commutate here in Michigan.

We all have a bit of masonary line frayed at the end hanging from our rifle slings to detect wind and direction, pay attention to it as wind swirles in many areas. Attention to sling swivels so they do not squeak or rattle.

Snow less than 6 inches just hoof it to the set no problem, snow over 6 inches and we have a 400 or more yard hike we use skis, real cross crounty ones we have made from the wider down hill skis with home made bindings. Works up to about 18 to 24 inches depending on the snow wet or dry fluffy stuff.
Over 24 inches we go to snow shoes, I like the narrow longer ones my self.

Carry gear in a back pack but keep the weight down so only things in them are a set of Binocs (mine is 10x50 Minoltas OLD.) I carry a range finder so I can work out ranges to trees rock piles and things so I have an idea how far away the coyote is. A rolled up bit of plastic, we roll the coyotes in it to drag out even on dry ground they drag easier that way. A coil of 1/4 inch rope to tie the plastic off and make a drag harness.
I carry the caller in the back pack a GC 350 by IOC TEC. also the decoy a Weasle ball and a base (oak 2"x12" x12") for frozed ground or deep loose fluffy snow.
A home made seating pad. good for a 30 minutes set on frozen ground.

Also in the pack is my made just for me first aid kit. My friends made it up for me after I had knee surgery and the insission had only been healing about 4 weeks and I got tangled in some thick grass during a ground hog hunt and fall on a big broken tree branch with a stub that opened up the insission and I bled like a stuck hog.

The first aid kit they made for me includes, two maxie pads, half a dozen extra large gauze pads, a dog collar that can wrap around my thigh and be a tourniquet, A roll of duct tape rolled smaller on a dowel to fit in the kit. A spool of dental floss and a couple of straight and a couple of curved neddles so I can stitch my self up if need be.
It is nice to have friends who worry about you.

Shooting sticks, Mine are made like Varmint Al's Bi Fur Pod sticks off his web page varmintal's.com .
You can sit, you can stand you can move them in any direction easy. I have a 1/4 inch chunk of nylon rope so they only spred so far and works as a sling to carry them. No added weight to the rifle.

Good rifle and optics what ever you like and is accrite to at least 300 yards here in Michigan.
My go to rifle is a Rugar 77V medium weight barrel in 220 swift, Hand loadded ammo to 3808 FPS wearing a Simmons 6x18 scope and a home made sun shade that is easy to remove or add.
For windy days I switch to a Remington 700 bdl in 243 hand loaded 85 gr bullets to just a tad over 2800FPS wearing a Bushnell Banner 3x9 BDC scope and home made sun shade.

Key is to pratice with the ammo you have,know where it will hit. pratice the postions you may have to shoot from and if you don't reload pratice with any new ammo you buy to make sure it is the same as the last box.

Every one in the group is pretty much equiped the same way.

Find a fur buyer, is nice to make some Ch Ching while having fun.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
moog5050
500 Club

Re: Some tips the group does coyotehunting.

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:09 am

Good tips Al. Do you do mostly do night or daylight hunts?
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:51 am

99% in the day time I will say but can't remember the last night hunt we did.

Same with shot guns, is rare we hunt close quarters where we use a shot gun.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:57 pm

Thanks for sharing this info Al. Good luck this fur season. I enjoy your season updates.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:26 am

All solid tips ! Cant wait until you guys get back after em!!

I enjoy your hunt stories...its almost like in there with yall. From breakfast to the last sit :clap:
Hope y’all have a safe and enjoyable season
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:56 am

I caught some kind of bug just before Christmas and it seem to be hanging on. Stuffed up head and sore throut, but I feel I am getting better. Went out and shot my Hawkins the other day when it got up to 45F.

I had a fishing trip invite to the river New Years eve like last year but called Mike and cancled a few days before. He got a neighbour to go with him. they limited out.
Called and said he had some extra for Kare and I, told him we were staying in and not spreading it around.
He stopped on the 2nd and dropped a cooler off on the porch. Held 4 ready to bake Walleye fillets, a gallon of home made chicken broth and about 4 pounds of home made eeg noddles and a note to cook the noddles in the chicken broth.

Such are my friends, I am planing on makeing him some butternut squash ravioli when I am 100% again. He loves them and probably could eat his weight in them, I know I could.

alleyyooper

Some how managed to double post. Ya I am not a computer whiz that is for sure.
The swift Ready for action with the home made sun shade. You have any Idea how much they want for a boughten one.

This is the Rugar 243 I inhearted from my dad. has a 3x10 Simmons scope and with my hand loaded ammo will drive spikes at 200 yards.

Last edited by alleyyooper on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
alleyyooper

I caught some kind of bug just before Christmas and it seem to be hanging on. Stuffed up head and sore throut, but I feel I am getting better. Went out and shot my Hawkins the other day when it got up to 45F.

I had a fishing trip invite to the river New Years eve like last year but called Mike and cancled a few days before. He got a neighbour to go with him. they limited out.
Called and said he had some extra for Kare and I, told him we were staying in and not spreading it around.
He stopped on the 2nd and dropped a cooler off on the porch. Held 4 ready to bake Walleye fillets, a gallon of home made chicken broth and about 4 pounds of home made eeg noddles and a note to cook the noddles in the chicken broth.

Such are my friends, I am planing on makeing him some butternut squash ravioli when I am 100% again. He loves them and probably could eat his weight in them, I know I could.

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:52 am

Very through list, with some great suggestions.

Not sure what part of Michigan you hunt, but wondering if it is the UP, does the increase in wolf population impact your coyote success?

I notice decreased population due to them over in our state.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:59 am

Don't hunt coyotes to much in the UPPER, we have our place near Rapid River south of US 2.

We hunt a large area from about Mt. Plesant across to Bad AXE, South nearly to Port Huron and back West tO about St. Johns.

some times we will vary a bit more west or north.

Normally when wolves are about the coyotes leave the area.

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:45 am

alleyyooper wrote:Don't hunt coyotes to much in the UPPER, we have our place near Rapid River south of US 2.

We hunt a large area from about Mt. Plesant across to Bad AXE, South nearly to Port Huron and back West tO about St. Johns.

some times we will vary a bit more west or north.

Normally when wolves are about the coyotes leave the area.

That’s a lot of ground you cover. I used to live near badaxe just 15-20 mile away on Saginaw bay. Now I live south of us 2 near Rapid. Bet your place isn’t far from me!

You get much out $ of them coyote? I know my buddies used to tell me they got more out of a big coon and it was a lot less work to skin and what not. I’m going to get after them this winter, not for the $ but somebody’s gotta thin a few out around here.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:00 am

Last winter we were getting from 70 to 90 dollars per pelt, sewen up streched and fleshed.

Our buyer has told us earlier that with the crazy warm weather this winter he is going to credit us with our pelts then after he goes to the Febuary fur auction in Canada will then pay us.

We have been dealing with him for nearly 20 years now and has always delt fairly with us.

Our place is west and south of St. Jakes.

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:29 am

I’ll shoot you a pm. Sounds like your place might be very close to mine.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”