Targeting a black phase coyote - any tips for hunting one specific dog?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Targeting a black phase coyote - any tips for hunting one specific dog?

Unread postby xpauliber » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:47 pm

I was out scouting for bucks on a farm I have permission to hunt on and I looked down at the bottom of one of the fields and saw 2 coyotes, one of them being jet black. The farmer had told me he missed a black coyote last year but until yesterday, I had never seen it. Now that I have, I'm determined to get him. I saw them at noon and the black one was digging through a pile of cow manure so I'm sure the food is scarce and they are hungry.

I've called in and killed one coyote on this farm 3 years ago so I have some experience with setting up so my wind is blowing into the field but I don't know how to target this particular dog. Do they have dens? I scouted out two big piles of logs on the property that I noticed tons of coyote tracks around in year's past but they were cold this year so nothing is living in them.

Is there a way to actually target a specific coyote or am I just going to have to hunt the area as much as I can and hope to get him to respond at some point?

JBL
Facebook: Joshua langworthy

Re: Targeting a black phase coyote - any tips for hunting one specific dog?

Unread postby JBL » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:19 pm

hunt over a carcass at night and wait for that specific coyote..
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 am

Is trapping out of the question? The more traps you get out, the better your odds.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:12 am

My understanding, which could be wrong, is that yotes really only use dens for rearing pups. But generally they do not stay in dens. Not sure how to target a specific yote other than setting up close to where you have see him and calling him in. Good luck. A black phase yote would be so cool!
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:39 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I should have been a bit more specific as I don't want to simply get him with whatever technique will work, I want to hunt him down. Call me weird, but if I get him, I want it to be because I went head to head against him and outsmarted him. I've thought about baiting with a roadkill or something and even though I could probably be successful that way, I don't feel like I would have "won" against him if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”