Rain delayed hunt with Mike.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Rain delayed hunt with Mike.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:27 am

Mike and I had set this afternoon as a hunting date. I had a doctors appointment (wellness check) at 1:30 and surprise of all surprises it was on time. Maybe I was the first after lunch is why. Of course they had to get me cranked up and ready to shoot some coyotes, raise my blood pressure too.

This day and age of computers and I have to produce my medical insurance card and drivers license again just like 6 months ago for me and just a month ago for Kare.
Kare is trying to shush me as I am asking why they don’t have this information on their expensive computer system?

Any way I was to Meet Mike at the near by Mejires parking lot throw my gear in his truck and let Kare drive mine home. Mike called me and said it was freezing rain at his house, appeared it was raining over the area we were going to hunt this afternoon.
I said ok talk to you later this evening or tomorrow once this storm system passes.

I get home and change in to some work clothes and work on my fire wood stach for during the rain they have been talking about all day on the radio. At 4:30 I go out and talk to my dogs and harness Lily up and head out. It is now a light misty rain, we had made our way to the back of the place made the turn for the barn when the fire hall siren goes off. It is about 4 miles cross country but you could hear it real well.
The coyotes also heard it and started in the howling. Have not heard or seen a coyote at least 3 months here.

I think if the weather clears off I may go back and do a set in the morning at day break. They sounded like they were only a couple hundred yards behind my line fence.

Weather delay is finished. A busy day starting early in the morning, 32F at 6:30 AM but the wind had a good bite to it.

We didn’t get much in the way of rain here but Mike lives north of us by about 18 miles. Schools I noticed up his way were closed, ours didn’t even have a 2 hour delay like some.

I hiked back near the back line fence dropped off the ridge to a Ash tree stump along side the creek where I set the decoy and backed off about 10 yards and set the caller out. Climbed back up the ridge found a big Oak tree clump to set by with the wind in my face. Since the people up the road have chickens that are noisy in the mornings I used a chicken in distress sound. Wasn’t but 15 to 17 minutes 5 coyotes show up coming thru the logs I have along the creek bank. I allowed them to get about 25 yards from the decoy when I fired at the trailing coyote quickly hit the KIYI sound and they had all turned on the afterburners and were gone.

I sat there a extra 20 minutes with the chicken sound playing again but they never returned.

Go get my gear then check out the coyote a young male. Fur is really thick and tight on it.

Wrap it in the plastic and drag it to the cleaning room to hang for later. Fed and let the dogs out side as I didn’t have time to walk them this morning.

I am back in the house at 7:30 when Kare gets up. I take a quick shower dress and head out the door. Wellness check required a blood draw, My old doctor now retired working in Nepal with doctors with out boarders for 2 weeks always did the blood draws in her office.

Since I was in town to get a fasting blood draw We went to our favorite little diner for breakfast.

All the girls made a fuss over us being there so early.

We went and bought a few things we were in need of, then I took my truck to a repair shop we use when I can’t fix it and asked them to scan the OBDII. Auto zone had scanned it last week for me and said it had dealer codes in it. Was all he could tell me.

Little Ray scanned it with a scanner said there was no codes in there and couldn’t do history codes. Would have one of the guys come out with the more expensive scanner and found a history code for the trans, Some thing to do with trans paddles and driver requesting them and it couldn’t comply. 40,049 miles so still under warranty. Drive to the Dodge dealer service area.

Got one of the driest people who didn’t talk except to ask a question who wrote up the work order and made a appointment for next week.

Make it back home by 12:30 plenty of time to get ready to meet mike at his house at 2:00PM.

Met Mike at his house, decided I would drive to the first location a sheep farm about 15 miles from Mikes house. Trucks temp read out said 37F as were parked sun was shining and wind blowing and water running from the snow melt.

We made our way back to a fence line hill over looking a wood lot about 25 acres. Set the decoys and caller out from the woods about 45 yards. After 30 minutes we had seen nothing.

Gather our gear and drive to the next farm a dairy farm about 10 miles down the road. Trying to get as much set time in as possible so we are pretty much doing close stuff.

We arrive at the Randy Aldrich farm dress and head back to a bushy sloth to set the caller and decoys out. Again we wait 30 minutes and see nothing not even a crow.

I’m not liking this, back at the truck I tell Mike I think the heat and sun shine has the coyotes laying up tight. We decide to try another farm before calling it a day.

Next farm is a dairy farm also, John Atlas family 3d generation farm family. By the time we get parked it is starting to cool I see as the puddled water is starting to form ice. We walk back to the woods and set the decoys and caller out. Turn the screaming in distress piglet sound loose and about 20 minutes later two coyotes come slinking thru the bushes along the edge of the woods. I watch Mike so I can see the trigger sign. Once he gives it I fire the Remington 243 and one coyote is down. I see mike had also connected as we wait another 10 minutes.

Both coyotes are female, One a good bit older than the other.

We have about a hour and a half of day lite left as we stow our gear in the truck. Drive about 15 miles to a beef operation. They run a herd of mixed beef cattle free range here.

We walk back to a fence line near the wood lot about 10 acres surrounding a pond. Set the caller out and decoys. Wait the normal 30 minutes and have seen nothing.

Get back to the truck and ask Mike if he wants to do another farm and he say we don’t need to bother. He like I, thinks it is still to warm.

We talk about tomorrow Friday and he says he believes the weather is going to be warm Friday much like today.

Saturday also is supposed to be warm as is early Sunday. Mike says we should try a few places Saturday morning before it warms up.

Sundays forecast is for snow continuing to fall from Saturday night and some really high winds in the 45 MPH range.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”