Eric called me.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Eric called me.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:55 am

Eric called me Monday evening. Said he got a call from one of our farmers Dave McKay dairy farm, who told him a woman hit and killed a deer Friday evening so he took it back by the woods and dumped it so it wouldn't upset the family to see it laying there dead and when it warmed up start stinking.

Next day he is spreading manure near there and saw 4 coyotes feeding on the carcuss. Come and Get them.

Eric asked If I wanted to go Tuesday afternoon or morning with him and Dean. he said we could get two and Dean the rest LOL. Since we are expecting a winter storm I told him in the morning while it is still snow. Going out the door in a minute is snowing hard right now.

I arrive at Erics at 7:10 am still dark and still snowing hard. Grab my gear throw it in Erics idling truck as Dean drives in. Eric drives us to the McKay farm and parks, we climb out and start putting on our SNO CAMO as it is still coming down hard. Despite how hard it is coming down there is only about 4 inches so far. I pull the 243 out of the case and Dean instantly sees it isn’t the swift and comments on the use of the cannon.

I tell him no it isn’t the cannon, I left the 300 Win Mag home today. With the way it is snowing I don’t want to take the swift with the sun shade on and have it fill up with snow.
We walk back to the fence line over looking the woods where we set up. We had discussed before hand we would not use any decoys just a couple of callers. Would go with the coyote pack partying sounds.

That should get the attention of the ones who feel the deer is their own meal ticket.

We just get set down and the snow quit but we started getting that frozen pellets hammering our faces. I pull my baklava up so only my eyes are exposed a tiny bit. It is about 7:40 I am guessing as it was 7:30 when we left the truck. Tempture according the radio as we left the truck was 26F wind chill 15F.

We have already planed to spend extra time here due to the deer carcass being bait.
We didn’t have to wait that long however.

I could see them coming in a line fur being ruffled by the wind. Signing who would take which ones as they got close to the dead deer.

They were looking around as the caller became still I was to take the trailing one at the signal.

Eric being between Dean and I would do the signaling when ready.

At the signal I fired and saw my coyote drop where it stood, I heard a final shot after mine and knew Dean had another double.

Walk down to check the coyotes as it changed from freezing rain snow mix back to snow big flakes. All four coyotes were Female 3 of them were young probably last springs pups the forth was old and long in the tooth. She had some scars on her muzzle we assume from fights she had been in.

We decide Eric can drive back to pick them up. Once we get back to the truck Dave already had his loader tractor out and told one of us to climb in the cab. I went and pointed out to Dave where we had left the coyotes. I throw them in the bucket, climb back up with Dave and start getting the 100 questions.

How did I get started shooting coyotes, how I met the company I keep, and do we make any money doing it.

Not much money in it for 2 days Saturday and Sunday I just made $910.00.

Eric I met in Houghton Michigan my Daughter and his were in the same dorm at college and we kept running into each other as we brought in stuff to build the lofts for our daughters. We ended up having a family supper together Saturday evening.Learned we lived close to each other but our daughter went to different high schools. Mine to West high school and his went to East.

Made a date to meet once we got back home and do some small game hunting.

I got started hunting Coyotes at our UP property and then John who I used to work with invited me to join him on a coyote hunt. I met Dean thru Eric, both own business, Dean is a Realtor and Eric sells insurance. I got them hooked up with John and it has went on from there.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Uncle Lou

Re: Eric called me.

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 pm

Great story. Thanks for sharing
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Eric called me.

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Very cool story thanks for sharing!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”