Wisconsin Predator Hunting Gun Caliber

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

purebowhunting
500 Club

Wisconsin Predator Hunting Gun Caliber

Unread postby purebowhunting » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:30 pm

Trying to find regulations for hunting predators at night in WI, nothing mentions weapon size. Is any caliber legal at night to predator hunt in WI? Thanks

alleyyooper

Re: Wisconsin Predator Hunting Gun Caliber

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 pm

Best place to start is with the states DNR web sites in most cases. However to me the DNR web site leaves a lot to be disired.
They have a 800 number give them a call.

Cointact information.
Contact Phone Number: 1-888-936-7463
Address: 101 S Webster Street PO Box 7921 Madison WI 53707-7921
Email: Contact Form

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:06 am

Aw man, I thought this was going to be a caliber preference discussion, I love reading those. Good luck finding your nighttime regs. Sounds like fun.

We can use rimfire only at night for coyotes in MI, right Al,? I'd have to check again, I refer to the book a lot. I picked up a 22 mag a few winters ago, I thought that would be my go to for coyotes, but got to liking the 12 gauge 3 1/2" number 4 buck shot. Hit one last year at about 60, maybe slightly farther, with it. Of course what I like the most about my single shot 3 1/2" is that it kicks the crap out of me. And since I shoot so few coyotes, I get to relive the moment for a few days after the shot, with a nice bruise.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:24 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Aw man, I thought this was going to be a caliber preference discussion, I love reading those. Good luck finding your nighttime regs. Sounds like fun.

We can use rimfire only at night for coyotes in MI, right Al,? I'd have to check again, I refer to the book a lot. I picked up a 22 mag a few winters ago, I thought that would be my go to for coyotes, but got to liking the 12 gauge 3 1/2" number 4 buck shot. Hit one last year at about 60, maybe slightly farther, with it. Of course what I like the most about my single shot 3 1/2" is that it kicks the crap out of me. And since I shoot so few coyotes, I get to relive the moment for a few days after the shot, with a nice bruise.

I come from MI so just figured there was a caliber requirement at night. Like you used to the rim fire or #4 shot or smaller. WI does not have any requirements that's why its not in the regs.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:27 am

Yup a 22 rim fire, No 5mm rim fires just 22. I'd rather stay home in bed if I could only use a 22 rim fire, even a 22 mag.

When we hunt at night ai hve a couple of shot guns I use. One is a BC Mucro built Charles Daily 12ga full and mod choked over under.

Second one is a SKB 885 ou I shoot full and full chokes in it and can use 3 inch shells but I rarely do.

They finally got their heads partly out in the sun shine and the season is open 12 months finally. Maybe in a year or two they will get their heads totaly in the sun shine and allow. center fire rifles.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”