Coyote Hunting tactics please

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sureshotscott
500 Club

Coyote Hunting tactics please

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:27 am

Any of you coyote hunting beasts want to give me some suggestions?

Last weekend I set up on the west edge of a lake on a big piece of public timber. Got in pretty quiet from the north. Winds out of the west. Set up the Primos Alpha Dogg caller and sat down a little north and after a few minutes began with female coyote whimpers and howls. Started with low volume, gradually increased.

After about 40 minutes I packed it up. Good to get out though.

Any suggestions on tactics or use of this caller? It can make turkey and many other calls. If you were going to hike to a different spot after an outing like that, how far would you go? Or would it be more productive to drive to a completely new spot?

moog5050
500 Club

Re: Coyote Hunting tactics please

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:28 am

we generally hunt them at night over fields and try to call them out of timber or swamps. Baybee cottontail, platinum gray, titmouse tantrum, and coyote pup distress no. 3 are some of the regular calls, but if they aren't working we will throw in others including fawn in distress. Locator calls are good if targeting only yotes. We generally start volume low and increase slowly and also vary up and down. occasionally we will go silent for a few minutes too. Watch the downwind side as yotes definitely like to circle in. If you are hunting daytime in timber, a moving decoy will help. I just really prefer the night hunting. Cant recall the name, but there is a pretty good book on basic calling sequences on amazon that worth a read.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:30 am

Also, we try to move to different properties after a 30-45 min sit depending on activity, but if you have a large enough parcel, I would not hesitate to try a spot 1/4 to 1/2 mile away (especially if windy when its harder to hear the calls).
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:07 pm

moog5050 wrote:we generally hunt them at night over fields and try to call them out of timber or swamps. Baybee cottontail, platinum gray, titmouse tantrum, and coyote pup distress no. 3 are some of the regular calls, but if they aren't working we will throw in others including fawn in distress. Locator calls are good if targeting only yotes. We generally start volume low and increase slowly and also vary up and down. occasionally we will go silent for a few minutes too. Watch the downwind side as yotes definitely like to circle in. If you are hunting daytime in timber, a moving decoy will help. I just really prefer the night hunting. Cant recall the name, but there is a pretty good book on basic calling sequences on amazon that worth a read.

Night hunting isn't an option for me, but lots of good info here. Thank you.
GWsaddleuser

Unread postby GWsaddleuser » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Remember, yotes don't always come from in front of you. ...... meaning- they don't know which way your facing so try to set up with your wind blowing across some type of obstruction (lake, highway, neighborhood). If this is impossible, try set up with a cross wind cause yotes will try to work to the down wind side.
Set your call upwind of you so the dog will work the call's wind and end up in your lap.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”