AW Shucks. afternoon

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

AW Shucks. afternoon

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:16 am

Ok I know ya all don’t want to hear about my health care girls.

So after a dinner of grilled cheese bacon and thick burger fries and coffee We head out north about 10 miles out of the village. Turn down a narrow gravel road for a couple miles reach the dairy farm of Ken Dillon & sons.

We park and hike back to the hill over looking the wood lot. Thick woods was timbered off 10 years earlier. There is a fence across the top of the hill with trees and brush to break up our outline.
We set out two decoys and two callers.

We start off with a distressed calf sound then about 15 minutes in a coyote group party sound. That must have done the trick as 4 coyotes came charging from the woods on a line to attack the decoys. We sign to shoot the last two as I hit the call button to change the sound to a challenge. That stoped them for the shots two down and I hit the Kiyi sound to stop them again One went down for Charlie but mine turned on the afterburners. I had not been able to get a shot off at the second one.

Gather the gear and then check the coyotes out. All were females fur is very nice. We wrap them and start the drag back to where the truck is parked when Ken showed up with his 1135 to load the coyotes in the bucket and give us a ride back to the truck. He had been in his work shop and heard the shooting.

We thank Ken for the ride, load the coyotes in the truck then head out for another farm about 10 more miles up the road. Yes I have been there before, used a book I keep in the truck of county road maps. It isn’t as good as the one I used 40 years ago when we would run old logging roads and fire roads with our Jeeps. The old map showed 90% of the logging roads and fire roads the new one doesn’t.
Nope don’t have a GPS in the truck.

The Wayne Meyers beef farm has been around for 50 some odd years. They free range their beef, Wayne was out unrolling a hay bale as we walked back to a stone pile near the farm wood lot. We set out a couple decoys and both callers. A full 30 minutes and nothing appeared. Waited another 10 minutes scanning the area to make sure nothing really wasn’t there.

Now we would go 25 miles to the east to another beef farm. Rodger Hiller place. They are a resent farm we have permission to varmint hunt, only a couple years now. They are also a free range farm, nobody eats their beef today because they run Herford and no body sells any thing other than Angus right. Must go for dog food.

We set up near a brushy sloth many years it would also be grassy but the cattle could graze it after our mid summer drought and it dried up.
Set out decoys and callers about 125 yards from our stand a few round bales stacked together near the fence.

One coyote came to our calls, my shot was right on the mark and another coyote was added to our stack. It was a male with very good fur.

As we were driving to the next place Charlie and I discussed we should try a mating call as it was close to breeding season for them.

Next on the list was 10 miles north to the Evan Rylie sheep farm. We hike back to the wood lot set the decoys out and callers. Run thru 30 minutes of a lamb in distress sound and we saw nothing.

Get back to the truck and I asked Charlie if he were ready for a donut and coffee. Next village has a old time bakery, with a few booths and a counter as years ago. I order a couple plain old fashion donuts and Charlie gets a frosted cinnamon roll to go with out coffee.

I ask Charlie if he wants to chance going out tomorrow, Wednesday. Weather forecast is calling for wide spread freezing rain in our hunting range. From Mt. Pleasant to the North West, St. Johns to the south West.

Bay City north central, Caseville north east and down thru thre thumb to China south east.

He said if it were raining he was going to take a drive and run the siren sound on his caller for a few places and possible even knock on a few doors asking for permission.
We leave there satfied with our treat and warming coffee. It is starting to get late in the afternoon so we made the turn to the east to hit a couple farms and then back south to home.

Another sheep farm is on the list Dan Ferrier place has been on our list of farms from nearly the beginning 17 years.

We park and gear up and head back to the back of the farm where a fence line provides cover for us and over looks the wood lot on the farm next door. After 30 minutes we had seen nothing, wait another 10 minutes to make sure and pick top our decoys and callers then head for the truck.

Make it the next place a Dairy operation been hunting this place about 5 years and in the beginning was a good place for us.
This day how ever we only are able to pull one from the wood lot to a calf in distress sound.Charlie has another one to skin a male with good fur.

Next farm another dairy farm Doug Tewilliger bought when he decide he wanted to go back to his roots in his early 40’s and has expanded a lot since then.

We again hike back to an area where we could over look a pond and wood lot. Got set up with two decoys again and callers this time we start with a female coyote calling for a mate. after 15 minutes we shut that off and started with group howls. Nothing showed up so we gathered our gear and headed back to the truck.

Have I mentioned that all the snow we had was all gone. Have I mentioned that every thing squishes underfoot. Mud lots of mud, Mud season once again I have it about 3 inches up the legs of my camo pants. They will have to be hung and brushed down, Kare would skin me and sell my hide if I asked her to wash them with all that mud on them.

We decide it is late enough to call it a day make the 50 mile drive to where we left Charlies truck.

We say if no rain we will hunt Wednesday. If it is raining we will skin what we have stretch and sew them. Of course Charlie is going to scout also.

Sure is nice being retired and no presssing projects to finish up.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”