Earning some Christmas Jingle.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Earning some Christmas Jingle.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:59 am

With deer season being over for my self, Dean and Eric we decided to do a coyote hunt.
We left it up to Eric to contact a few of the farms we hunt on about a 3 month basics to see if they had deer hunters using the property.

Eric came up with 5 farms where the deer hunting was finished so we made plans to do coyote hunts on them.

In the mean time I had came down with a cold but could take meds and function with out coughing and having a runny nose, so decided to go and not cancel out. I could also use some extra Christmas spending money.

We met at Deans house for breakfast and work out a travel plan on the 9th. Dean isn’t to bad of a cook with simple stuff like eggs, sausage and toast. Plenty of coffee was made, enough to even fill a couple of thermos bottles.

Decided the Brodric sheep farm would be the first place we hit. They pasture a couple hundred sheep in the winter so they make some thick wool and the coyotes like to do raids on them.

We have now been hunting there about 8 years so know where to park out of the family’s way and what route to take to get near the over grown wood lot where the coyotes always come from. We have a standard knoll in a fence line where the wind has it seems always been in our favor.

Since sheep are a bit on the large side we set out two decoys close together with feathers clipped to the tails. We have recorded some sheep in distress sounds in the past so we go with that sound at first. We haven’t hunted here in about 4 months so there should be coyotes in the area.

Wasn’t 5 minutes of a distressed ewe and we had a sighting, a single coyote slinking along the edge of the wood lot in and out of the brush stopping to look at the decoys. We were hoping there were a couple more a bit deeper in the wood lot following along with the one we were seeing. Finally it is near the west fence line it was ranged at 237 yards before, it stepped out in the open throwing its head up to check the air currents before advancing on our decoys.

The decoys were 75 yards out so the coyote would be in the open for a while to reach them. When it was about 25 yards out in the open two more popped out in the open behind it and quickly caught up to the leader.

No way would I be able to turn for a shot so it was up to Eric and Dean. I was able to turn my head enough to watch the coyotes out of the corner of my eye. When the guys fired I still jumped as the first shots rang out then a 3d shot from Dean then a 4th and 3 coyotes were down.

Waited till the 30 minute mark and no more coyotes were seen so we went and picked up the decoys and callers. Then we went and checked the coyotes, all 3 were females appeared to be the same age. At least a couple years old by the stained teeth and worn foot pads.
Fur was very nice on them since we have had below normal temps since mid Oct.

Next on the list of farms was Nye’s beef operation about 10 miles away. This farm we also have hunted for about 10 years one of the original. We had gotten a call to take care of coyotes that were coming into the feed lot and eating feed. Again we have been there so much we know where to be out of the way of daily operations. We also know that the swale that is dry from about Mid July to Oct when the fall rains start is the place we will most likely draw coyotes from.

We get set up and use a piglet in distress sound an a pack of coyotes partying sounds and once again two decoys. This time I am in the middle of the group setting in the brush around a huge stone pile. We were about to pack it in when a coyote was seen coming thru the grass. I was once again in the wrong spot for a shot as it was to my right but Eric had a great shot when it came out in the pasture and headed for the decoys. We had been there a full 30 minutes when Eric fired so we got up and picked up our gear and looked at the coyote a big male. The fur once again was some good looking stuff.

It is getting to be nearly noon so we decided to head back to Deans off load the 4 coyotes in his cleaning room.

His wife had made a big pot of ham and bean soup for us and baked some bread. The soup was just the ticket for me as it helped clear my smeller and covered up the new dose of meds I had taken.

We decided we would skin out the 4 coyotes before heading out in the afternoon evening hunt.

The skinning went quick and Dean brought the tractor and loader around to remove the carcasses to the bury pit.

A trip back in the house for more coffee and some of the blue berry pie we had been told would be ready about 1:30 PM.

While having pie and coffee we decided we would hit the Watson beef farm first it was the very first farmer who had called John way back in 2001 to come and get rid of the coyotes causing trouble there.

We get there and make the walk back to a sand pit over looking a low area and then brush along the river. I worry about the guys catching my cold so I set up down wind from them, which put me to the right of the group.

This time we waited a full 15 minutes before any coyote responded to the piglet sound and the decoys. Once again a single and finally in my zone, the 220 swift did its job and I finally had some extra Christmas money.

When we got back to the truck there was a package sitting on the tail gate with 3 Christmas cards. We loaded up the coyote as we were taking our camo off Ben Watson came out.

He said there were steaks in the package for the three of us to divide up between us.

Of course we told him there was no need to do that as being able to hunt his place was thanks enough. Since there was only about a half hour of day lite left we called it a day.

On the ride back to Deans we decide I would skin my coyote there and the steaks we would save for our holiday party between Christmas and New Years. It was going to be held at Erics as we didn’t want to impose on Cheryl and use the sugar shack there as in the past.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Jackson Marsh

Re: Earning some Christmas Jingle.

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:22 am

Sounds like a fun day of yote hunting! :clap: :clap:
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:45 am

Every day spent with friends is a good day. even the days when we do not get any coyotes.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Sounded like a great time! :clap:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:21 am

These are great stories, thanks for sharing.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”