Calling strategies

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

365all_out

Calling strategies

Unread postby 365all_out » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:17 pm

First yr getting into some coyote set ups. Have trapped before but minimal and have tried calling yrs ago with mouth calls but not a valid effort.

Picked up a fox pro electronic caller as I’m going to start making this part of my winter hobbies.

Question is do you guys have a preference on morning or dusk and a calling sequence.

Do you use locator and then fall into a distress calls? Time of yr matter for different sounds?

Thanks!

alleyyooper

Re: Calling strategies

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:07 am

We go out for a full day many times. Usally just do Mornings and evening hunts when it is a bright sunny day. Seems to us the coyotews like to lay on hills sides soaking in the sun on thiose days.

We tend to stay away from the rabbit in distress sound as so many beginners buy that type of mouth call the first time and have educated many coyotes to that sound.

We use a lot of piglet in distress and despite no pigs in the area the coyotes respont to it. there are a lot more free sounds on the net that work. Varmint Al's site has a bunch along with how to modify a weasle ball into a decoy.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Wild Bill Army Scout

Unread postby Wild Bill Army Scout » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Alleyyooper provides great information. In addition, I read a couple post on another predator topic about coyote unresponsive to electronic and rabbit calls; correct! I am a West Coast hunter and the only calls I use for coyote are: Turkey Slate, Turkey Gobble, Grey Fox Distress, and Fawn Bleat. Coyote know what a Fawn Bleat and a Turkey yelp are and they typically react within 15 minutes. In addition, Coyote hate Grey Fox and there is something about a Fox Distress call, which a Coyote cannot resist. I also avoid rabbit calls for the simple reason: “I haven't heard too many dying rabbits screaming bloody murder in the deer woods,” have you? I have hunted Coyote in the East and my “GO TO CALL” on the East Coast is a Turkey Slate…If you can call a Turkey in and there are coyote in the area; you can call in a coyote, guaranteed! However, you must consider you are now hunting a Turkey with an extreme sense of smell, which will ALWAYS approach from down wind. I have also prepared Coyote areas on the East Coast by spreading Fox Urine in an area. Fox Urine WILL attract Coyote and make them more active in a specific area…Coyote hate Fox. Per "365all_out" question: The best time to hunt Coyote is when they are cold and hungry (NOV-FEB). Other great coyote periods; regardless of weather: Whitetail and Pronghorn fawning MAY-JUN (use a Fawn Bleat); Spring Turkey (use a Hen Yelp). I also watch the Moon Phase; cold winter hunts that provide moon rise during daylight also provide great opportunity. There is something in a dog’s DNA, which makes them more active when the moon is up-regardless if it is day or night. In addition, many states allow baiting Coyote; you would be amazed how many Coyote you can pull and hold into an area by pouring a half gallon of bacon grease into the dirt a week prior to your hunt. It isn’t cheating; you still have to call those rascals in. “Kill a Coyote, save a Fawn or a Poult!”
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
365all_out

Unread postby 365all_out » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks guys. Been out for about 15 sets and no luck. Did call in 2 but no shots. I’m running a Fox pro wildfire. Been out a couple times at night trying to locate with Howels with no luck. The minimal success has kept me very interested. Will. E getting out tomorrow morn. I have been staying away from the rabbit distress and running with kitten, Fox and pup distress as the main sounds.

Good info on the Fox stuff!!!
Wild Bill Army Scout

Unread postby Wild Bill Army Scout » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:22 pm

365all_out: Take a look at where you are setting up...As stated, I am a West Coast guy. However, I do not set up like the guys on T.V. in wide open spaces, with large fields of view. Coyote bed down on Whitetail corridors, funnels, and extremely thick brush along River Bottoms. You can get a Coyote to pop out in the open if you set up off those three type of spots. Hunting Whitetail and Turkey is very similar to hunting Coyote. Coyote travel deer corridors and funnels; as well as Turkey Track. Coyote ambush Whitetail along Corridors and Funnels at night and wait for Turkey during Fly Down. Sounds familiar, right? Coyote hunt just like you do; also consider Whitetail are most susceptible to predation during fawning and winter. I find most success setting up using the same fundamentals for Coyote as I use for Whitetail. If you read some of these threads, pay attention to how many hunters have spotted most Coyote on a Whitetail stand. Coyote run, travel, and hunt along deer trails; they travel the same way. Instead of thinking about hunting a coyote in a wide open space; think about setting up to hunt Coyote like hunting for yourself while you are hunting Whitetail. Whitetail funnels that lead to shallow water crossings often lead to coyote sighting; those rascals typically bed down around those areas and wait. If you find a Whitetail funnel leading to a shallow water crossing, look for dog tracks in and out of the water. Those rascals WILL BE LAYING in the brush on the down wind side and they already know you are there. You WILL NOT be able to call them in on that day...You will need to come back another time and set up down wind. When you put it all together, there is a huge sense of accomplishment in bagging the most highly developed predator in the deer woods. Good luck

I attached a couple clips of Coyote killing mature deer. They always seem to get a deer to the ground by nipping at the hind legs and rump...

Coyote Killing Mature Deer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocKEor ... jreload=10

Coyote Killing Mature Deer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbd77d7VYqI

Pretty interesting article on Coyote damage to deer populations: https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/a ... er-hunting
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
Wild Bill Army Scout

Unread postby Wild Bill Army Scout » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:51 pm

365all_out: Below are a few more motivators to "Destroy" as many Coyote as possible...Most predator hunters don't fully understand how many deer get eaten. Gives you a whole new outlook on setting up for Coyote...Follow and hunt the "Food Chain."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf71GzR8Xew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9E0ialHlH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wnQXP3M2Q8
365all_out

Unread postby 365all_out » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:58 am

I have been gravitating towards more set ups that have more cover. A lot of farm country and swamps in my area. Today I went to some areas that are typically flooded in fall to see if they have gravitated to these types of areas since being froze. Did find a decent amount of tracks and did two sets with no luck. I am completely new to this and my scouting has been revolving around my hunts meaning I’m basically going off past intell of sighting during deer season or scouting for deer. I know I’m in the right areas in a way but Not sure I’m getting to where they are during midday or a solid bedding location. Did 2 diff properties with 3 sets and noting showed.

Thanks for the YouTube videos. The reason I’m getting in this as an addition to my hunting is the fact it’s similar to deer hunting which is my main passion. We don’t have a lot of guys that hunt them in my area and the ones that do group up and run dogs on them.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:15 am

Put a Siren sound on you caller to locate coyotes. Like many pet Pups they will howl during a siren sound. Think it hurts their ears. find that sound on the internet.

Stop making noise that doesn't need to be made. Don't slam the car/truck door get them close and push.
Like any type of ambush, tape up or remove rattleing equipment like sling swivels. I carry much of my equipment in a back pack. No need to keep rattleing ammo in yoiur pockets either, just load the rifle and you will have plenty for a 30 minute set.
Shut up!!!!!! All your talking to your partner should be over when you park, anything you may need to know is done with minimal signs/signals .

We never blast the caller. About half throttle at first and the last 5 minutes maybe full throttle. Set the caller neer but not on top of the decoy.

We add goose and turkey feathers to the tail to make them look bigger with roach clips and fishing line. We use several different models. Mine is set up so you can push the rod into soil that isn't froze. I carry a 12'x12' x2' hunk of ruff sawn hard wood plank I can stick the rod in if the ground is frozen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ThYP80M2eU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qm25HaEEs4

There are more decoy set ups on You tube, google weasle ball decoy you tube

Hope this helps

Wild Bill Army Scout

Unread postby Wild Bill Army Scout » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:30 am

Bro, I have not used a "Weasel Ball." That is ingenious! I would almost guarantee: "spraying that set up with Grey Fox cover scent and using a Grey Fox distress call" would produce results. Thanks Alleyyooper, I am definitely going to try that set up with Grey Fox conditions. That dog gone thing looks like a Grey Fox flopping around waiting to get eaten.
Dunning Kruger

Unread postby Dunning Kruger » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Read a few posts about using fox urine and distress. You guys specify gray fox. Any particular reason? Just because thats what you have in your area, or because it seems to get more attention than red fox scent / calls? In my part of the country we dont have grey fox. Supposedly we have a very very few red foxes, but despite running dozens of trail cameras year round, and putting a lot of miles in looking for fresh lion tracks in the snow ive never even seen a set of fox tracks. Wonder if trying fox urine setup with a cross wind and fox distress would be worth my time. Both foxes and raccoons are extremely rare around here due to our crazy lion / wolf / yote / bobcat numbers.
Wild Bill Army Scout

Unread postby Wild Bill Army Scout » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:03 am

Dunning Kruger; Fox and Coyote compete...Both species have a difficult time coexisting. I also use Grey Fox urine as a cover scent on my boots, when I hunt whitetail. I have had Coyote follow my tracks right to the bottom of my treestand; because, they believed they were following a Grey Fox. This has happened on several occasions in areas that do not hold Grey Fox and it appeared the Coyote were very interested, even though there weren't Grey Fox in the area (darndest thing). I do know that the average Grey Fox is 15" to the shoulder, 24" in length, and 8 lbs. The average Red Fox is three times that size and get up to 31 lbs. Although a Grey Fox is truly a tiny dog; it acts more like a cat than a dog. I can only assume this is why Coyote are so interested in Grey Fox; besides completely hating one another. I only use Grey Fox Distress and a Turkey Slate to call Coyote...Good luck. Check out that "Weasel Ball" Alleyyooper posted; I may incorporate that into my Grey Fox set up as well.
365all_out

Unread postby 365all_out » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:24 am

You guys putting cover scent right on the actual decoy, ground, or a scent wick type of thing that you package and reuse????

Just courious
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:27 pm

Personaly I fail to see why you want to use a cover scent for a 30 minute set max? Yes that is thr amount of time we stay on set.

Isn't like your going in to a stand to deer hunt for a whole day.

You hunt the area that works for the wind patteren for the day, we tie a small string on out trucks antena so we get a general Idea of direction also tie a bit of thread to the sling swivel stud so we can tell as we are walking in to help decide where we are going to set up.

We always hunt edges so the coyotes will really have to make a huge circle to get in our scent cone across open ground..

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”