The last horaw

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

The last horaw

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:50 am

Fire arm deer season starts 11-15 as it does every yer here in Michigan. Eric called and wanted to know if I was up for a last coyote hunt before all the farms we hunt were closed to coyote hunting.

I told him I sure was as I have been so busy I haven’t had most time for any thing remotely like hunting. Only been shooting The shot gun on a clays course with Chuck on Saturdays but mostly on Sundays.

It was decided we would meet at the old country diner that is open at 5:00am week days for breakfast for working people. There was Eric, Mike, Bill, Dean and Deans friend Jim who was just learning with Dean. It was decided that we would split into two groups. Eric, Mike and my self in one group, Bill Dean and Jim would make up the other group.

We wrote down the names of several farms and drew to see who was going to hunt where. We agreed to meet back at the diner at 1:00PM.

We drew Hasens sheep farm, Borden beef cattle farm and Giles Dairy farm. Decided to head to the farthest one out the dairy farm to start then work our way back.
The dairy farm was a bust, ran into the owner as he was finishing the milking said he had not heard or seen a coyote in a couple months.

We move on to Hasens sheep farm and go back to a brushy stone pile to set up. This set up draws coyotes out of a brushy grassy swamp area into a cut hay field. We went with a pair of decoys and use the destress lamb sounds in the caller. Only took about 5 minutes for a pair of coyotes came running into the field and put on the brakes at the edge and started working into the wind stopping to smell often at about 200 yards. Mike decided they would not get any closer so signaled Eric to fire on his mark.

To me it sounded as only one rifle as they went off so close together. There were two coyotes down. We still ran the sounds for the full 30 minutes but no more coyotes showed. Was easy drag on the snow that was left from the other day.
The two females fur was nice and thick was sure to bring some good jingle.
A bit of a disappointment no more coyotes showed up as the sheep farm has always been a hot spot.

Next we hit the beef farm, set up in a tree line where old broken down farming machines are parked to be parted out. A 40 acre wood lot just 100 yards across a picked corn field. We again went with 2 decoys, yes it is a beef farm but we went with a tried and true piglet in distress sound. I had told the guys I was going to take the up wind side to the set for a change. I was thinking the place was going to be a bust when a single coyote poked its head out of the woods. Stood there a bit them Turned to the decoy.

My 220 swift barked and I felt the push of the stock into my shoulder. As I lowered the rifle back on the shooting stick I saw the coyote spinning in the corn stubble. As I was deciding I was going over there and do the final shot it quit moving.
Since it was now 30 minutes we sat silent for about 10 minutes and go look at the male coyote who appeared to be a old fellow with well stained teeth and worn foot pads.
Still the fur was good. Guess the below normal temps we have been having are making for decent fur.

We get back to the diner to find the other guys had just got there them selves. They had a great morning with 5 coyotes in the truck. Of course we knew who had got the double. Since Dean had his Remington 742 redone he was making doubles so easy.

All you Michigan fire arm deer hunters have a great season.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”