Their back.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Their back.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:44 pm

Got woke up this morning 3:00 AM by Coyotes carrying on. I figure on the piece of property we just bought to our south.

Once we reached a decent hour I am going to call and see if I can round up some one to hunt this evening with me.

Couldn't get any one to go in the evening with me but my friend Dean said if I made butter scotch pancakes he would come Monday morning.
At 5:00 AM monday morning i get a call from Dean, is it raining there? Yes it is and pretty heavy also, Weather people are saying may clear after noon.

Dean tells me he can't get free till Wednersday morning but the deal is I have tyo feed him breakfast.
Not sure if Wednesday is going to work as they are predictioning rain again.

Yes I know we can hunt in the rain as coyotes need to eat even if it rains. We just don't see a reason to subject or great to the wet, or our antique bodies.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
alleyyooper

Re: Their back.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:41 am

Dean was going to come for breakfast Monday morning then go out and see if we could call in the coyotes making a ruckus and waking me from a sleep.
But when I woke Monday morning I expected a call that the rain was stopping one of my coyote hunting group from coming.

Sure enough the phone rings at a quarter to six and Dean says raining here how about at your place. I told him it was a cold misty rain that every so often would come down hard with a cold wind gust. A new date was set for Tuesday morning the 16th.

Sure enough 5:00 AM I hear a truck coming down out drive way, flip on the front flood lites and the porch lite letting Dean know I am awake. As he reaches the front porch I sling the door open and say a hardy welcome. Has been a while since I have seen Dean mostly my fault.

I swear this guy has not eaten in weeks as he was putting away my butterscotch flap jacks by the stack not a little short stack either but the taller 5 stack. He also was putting away the sausage but who could resisted the Maple flavor. Was glad I had bought them on sale a while back and putting them in the freezer for later use.

We talk of what we had been up to me I have been getting fire wood around for the winter and attending car shows and shooting clays with Chuck as his health has declined and about all he can do for fun. Don’t know just how much longer he will be with us.

Dean has been busy also having just returned 25 days ago from a trip to New Zealand to fish and take his wife to all the tourist spots there.

Finally we finish having breakfast and talk strategies on where we think will be the best place to ambush some coyotes. I let him know all the beans have been taken off in the area but still lots of leaves on the low bushes and trees yet.

Finally we see a bit of lighting to the dark sky in the east so I grab my gear as Dean goes out to get his, we meet in front of the garage then walk back to the path that goes off to the east which swings out a bit where I think the coyotes were when they woke me.

We final reach the back line fence and decide with the north east wind we would set up in the cleared stretch about 25 yards wide there and clear to the north line . I walk down to the creek about 75 yards away and set the decoy out and place the caller about half way back

A full 30 minutes there using our ever popular and productive sound the piglet in distress. Nothing showed but we sat an extra 10 minutes before packing it in. We walk out of the area then discuss another area to set up and Dean pointed out since it is a vacant field and the woods of our home site the coyotes could have just been passing thru.

We make it to the next set up in the vacant field about 500 yard south of the first set where I have permission to hunt coyotes. We set up on the edge of an over grown area with a thick Stand of oaks giving about 50 yards clear shooting. Set the decoy out all the way across the clearing and about 25 yards to the West.
30 more minutes and nothing showed up so we packed up and walked out to where we could talk again.

Again decided the coyotes must have been just passing thru. No! I have not been hearing them in the evenings or in the early mornings. I try to keep the area to hot for coyotes to settle in the area.
Decided to call it a day since the whole plan was to make it a miserable area for coyotes to live in.

A date was set for me to join Dean Friday morning at his place for Breakfast then drive to a few farms we have permission to hunt in the north east corner of the county.

Still was enjoyable to spend time with a friend and enjoy the brisk morning air.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”