Keep the pack packed.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Keep the pack packed.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Since my friend John passed away we have made Eric the groups unoffical leader. We have called the 30 some steady farms we do hunts on and gotten them to change their contact number from John to Eric. Johns wife Cheryl said she didn't mind fielding the call but we agreed she didn't need that reminder John was gone, she knows every day.

She has still came to our last two meetings held bi monthly. The other girls fuss over her a lot.

With that out of the way Eric called me Friday said a farmer had called and had a coyote coming to his yearling field and chaseing some of the yearlings till he went out there with his shot gun and scared it off.

Since I was not going to be able to hunt Saturday I told him to call one of the other teams. Saturday evening Eric calls and says that Mike and Lee were not able to call any coyotes in at that farm Saturday evening.
Eric said to be ready at 4:30 AM to be picked up and we would do a AM hunt there.

True to his word Eric arrived at 4:30 on the dot, I throw my gear in the back of his truck and head out.
On the way he told me that Mike and lee had talked to the farm owner and gotten a good lay out of the farm and set up by a stone pile on a hill near a drainage ditch. They had used a challange call to start out switched to a pup in distress and waited a full 30 minutes before calling it a set.

Eric said he had talked to Lee for about an hour and thought he had a idea how the farm was laid out and a different place we could set up if the wind was right.

We arrived at 5:30am sky is still on the darker side but lite enough we could walk with out flash lites on. Arrive at a fence line we follow to the top of a hill over looking a 10 acre wood lot. remove a Weasle ball decoy from the pack and carry it down and to the left about 75 yards place the caller about 10 yards closer to the hill top.

Once back on the hill top and nestled in the tall grass we check to see if we can see the decoy thru the scope and find it is lite enough to see. We start the caller going with a lower volume a distressed piglet, we tend to stay away from the rabbit in distress sound because so many use that sound. Many mouth calls are sold that makes that sound and I have not seen a Ecaller yet that doesn't have that sound.

At the 10 minute mark the volume is now turned up a bit louder just over half volume. run it almost a minute then stop for 2 minutes and again run it. At 15 minute the first coyote comes from the woods soon followed by another .They stand and look at the decoy with the flooping tail for a bit then start to work up the hill slowly. Eric signs I should target the first and finger trigger just when I am ready to shoot.

At about 100 yards I decided it is time to fire made the fire sign and squeezed the trigger of the Swift. when I got back on the scope I see a coyote flopping around where mine had stood and other was laying still down the hill.
as I scaned back to the flopping coyote it stopped moving.

Eric has a huge grin as we walk down the hill and find we had gotten two female coyotes appered possiable mom and daughter. Decide to just drag them back down the hill into the woods as the fur didn't look all that good and my self still have a couple back straps in the freezer.

Finished that chore gather our equipment and do a slow tour of the farm for future referance on where to set up and enjoy the wind in our face.

Back to the pick up the farmer came out of his shop and said coffee was redy if we would like a cup. Said he had heard us fire, how did we do. He did a little jig when we told him he had two less coyotes to worry about.
Surprizeingly the coffee was really good too.

I asked Eric where we would go next and he said he had a office meeting at 7:30 so we called it a day.

Fine with me I was able to meet Chuck and go shoot a round of clays at the sportsman club before it started raining.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Re: Keep the pack packed.

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:44 am

I hope you kill a pile of them
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:55 am

way to stay after them. :clap:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:02 pm

Great story!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:02 pm

I belong to a group of now 9 coyote hunters, one passed away unexpectedly in June. At least two members are hunting coyotes every day.

We get word of mouth recommendations from farmers to others who call us when they start seeing coyotes to close to their barns and homes. Once we make the first visits we usually have a open invation to return which we do on a regular basics.
As of now we have close to 50 farms to coyote hunt on. 42 where we can hunt small game, rabbits, squirrels and birds.
We have invites to bow hunt about 36 farms and gun hunt 30 of those after the first week.
There are 10 we can gun hunt deer from the opening day till the end.

In the last ten years the group has taken out over 1000 coyotes from four counties.

I enjoy hunting coyotes as much, well maybe even more than deer not that there is no season on them.

PeskyPopPop

Unread postby PeskyPopPop » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:27 am

Thanks for sharing. My brother and I recently took up predator hunting. No coyotes yet although I did manage to get a shot off at one and saw three more. Got my first gray fox the other day. Tried to post a picture of her for you but for some reason couldn't get it to work. I'm not the best with computers so it's no big surprised. Was hunting around 4500 feet in a bowl up in the Tortollita mountains in Tucson. Beautiful morning, 68 degrees, blue skies, a light wind in my face. Even had some grass growing at that altitude from the monsoons we had earlier. That little bugger snuck right up to the decoy and was only 8 or 9 feet away when I spotted her. Beautiful animal. Since it is my first predator and a nice clean shot the wife is going to have it pelted. They are one quiet animal, especially in the desert. Their natural camo makes them tricky to pick up. Having that decoy helped out a lot.

Anyway, great hunt on that coyote and congrats. My brother and I are hoping to get out tonight. Would be nice to report back that we put one down.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:31 pm

Some people just have to see pictures. We do not even carry a camera with us, heaven help you if you carry your phone and it goes off, so we don't carry them either.

We in the winter have snow and is deep we use snow shoes and every once of weight takes more energy to move so we have cut to the minium things we need.

Rifle and one load (mine holds 4 rounds) cross sticks, caller & decoy I also made a stand for frozen ground, plastic ground sheet to sit on and skid coyotes out to skin on. about 25 feet of nylon cord.

It takes a while to figure out just what works to call coyotes in. Got skunked for some time before I figured out what worked for me.
I don't think many start out first thing getting it right unless they are with some one who has did it for a while.

Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:12 pm

alleyyooper wrote:I belong to a group of now 9 coyote hunters, one passed away unexpectedly in June. At least two members are hunting coyotes every day.

We get word of mouth recommendations from farmers to others who call us when they start seeing coyotes to close to their barns and homes. Once we make the first visits we usually have a open invation to return which we do on a regular basics.
As of now we have close to 50 farms to coyote hunt on. 42 where we can hunt small game, rabbits, squirrels and birds.
We have invites to bow hunt about 36 farms and gun hunt 30 of those after the first week.
There are 10 we can gun hunt deer from the opening day till the end.

In the last ten years the group has taken out over 1000 coyotes from four counties.

I enjoy hunting coyotes as much, well maybe even more than deer not that there is no season on them.

Superb story. Also, very cool way to gain permission for deer hunting. :clap: :clap:
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:55 pm

I have a deer hunting camp near Rapid River backed up to a WHOLE BUNCH of federal land. All the years I have been hunting there I have seen 9 hunters 6 times was the neighbour up the road about a 1/2 mile.

But yes good way to gain deer hiunting access.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”