A day with a friend.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

A day with a friend.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:57 pm

Eric has been my hunting partner for over a week now. I am doing all I can to go out with him as much as possible on week days. Our group draws partners for 2 weeks at a meeting we hold.

But with the grasses growing tall and bushes being fully leafed out I don’t have a lot of desire to go after coyotes that are tough to view.

He was on his way home from the office nearest his home Monday night and a coyote crosses the road ahead of him, when he gets to that spot he sees it crossing a corn field heading to a small wood lot.

Stops and gets his plat book finds the owner of the property’s name then the charm of a smart phone finds the phone number and contacts the owner. Got us permission to hunt coyotes on the property. Calls me once he gets home and says to get ready for early Tuesday morning and meet him at the near by park and ride lot at 4:30 am. We will try the area since there are corn fields we may be able to get a coyote of 3 to come out of cover to find what is making that distress noise.

I meet Eric as directed transfer my gear to his truck, then we head out. Get to the farm just as it is light enough to see 10 feet with out a light. Dress grab the back packs with the callers and decoys our rifles and head out down a lane to a fence line separating a hay field from the corn field with the woods across the way.

Set out one of modified weasel balls with couple feathers clipped to the tail so it looks a bit bigger. Set the caller out and back off into the grass beside the fence.

Start the call low with a piglet in distress sound very mellow to start with the idea the coyotes will be near that wood lot this early in the morning going to lay up for the day. About 5 minute mark turn the volume up a bit, wasn’t long and here comes a coyote about 250 yards out, wait for it to work it’s way closer. Once it gets a bit out in the corn field can see it is getting figitty stopping often and watching the decoy.

I sign to Eric to fire, one coyote down almost instantly, wait out the 30 minute mark nothing more shows up so we walk out to the coyote. It is a good sized male, fur is fully summer and not worth enough to drag the coyote to the truck. So it was taken to the fence line near the woods for other critter food.

Eric says a bunch of farmers who were lucky enough to quickly get the corn and beans planted are doing hay now. More open areas to call coyotes into and they come easy to squeaky mice who have lost their cover. We hit up a couple of those farms where we get one more coyote. No more luck after that second one so we head for a local diner for Breakfast.

Eric over a plate of flapjacks and eggs suggest I run home and grab my ultra lite fishing stuff and meet him at the river boat launch for a float fishing trip.

Had a good time till we pulled the canoe out about 5 miles down stream.

:D Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: A day with a friend.

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Man y'all had a very good day I'd say! Did y'all get on any fish? Thanks for sharing!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
alleyyooper

Re: A day with a friend.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:22 am

Caught a bunch of small mouth bass. Most were barely legal so we released them we kept 2 each that were 10 inches.

Also a whole mess of small hamer handle pike.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”