Not to many hunt coyotes it seems.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Not to many hunt coyotes it seems.

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue May 08, 2018 1:02 am

I've lost all the places I used to hunt them. I'm still an opportunistic yote hunter if I'm on stand and see one, but haven't targeted them for a few years. Last couple years I was hunting them I became the family yote guide getting my brothers and cousins on some fun yotes to kill.

I run a primos alpha Dogg and hot dog howler. Florida if you got access to somewhere that was pine logged previously with some stump piles they love to den up in the piles and if you don't educate them to much you can kill quite a few off the same piece of property year after year. Wind is your friend I prefer a crosswind for my setups.

One huge key for me was starting the calling really low volume. I've educated quite a few early on blasting the electronic caller. Mouth calls like my howler are much more effective if I get on a yote that I know has been educated, because I can vary my calls in that little bit that gives them the realistic sound.

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 am

I kill 8 to 10 every year. I don't consider it hunting as much as just driving around fields and shooting. I don't particularly enjoy it, just try to keep these predators in check. I would probably enjoy it more with calling and short range equipment, I just already have to many hobbies.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 am

Our fur buyer just returned a couple weeks ago from a fur auction in Canada. He said prices are on the up swing and is giving us $65.00 for our sewn streached and fleshed hides.
If we don't want to skin them we can drop them off and still get $30.00 for our effort.

Here in Michigan it is pretty simple to get permission to hunt coyotes. Many times we get invited by work of mouth to hunt farms.
that is why you treat the farmers property with respect close all gates you found closed. Park out of the farmers way, where they told you. Don't be driving in new seeded fields or hay fields.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Wild Bill Army Scout

Unread postby Wild Bill Army Scout » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:39 am

A lot of good information and input about coyote on this thread...I usually hunt coyote where I hunt Whitetail, Pronghorn, and Turkey. First: I have read a lot of people noticing coyote during stand hunting; correct! Follow the food chain. Second: Coyote hate heat; whitetail and coyote conditions are similar. Most hunters are after whitetail, during prime coyote conditions. If it is +70 Degrees, you are going to have a hard time calling and seeing coyote, just as you would whitetail. The best time to hunt Coyote is when they are cold and hungry. Other great coyote periods; regardless of weather: Whitetail and Pronghorn fawning MAY-JUN (use a Fawn Bleat); Spring Turkey (use a Hen Yelp). I read a couple post about coyote unresponsive to electronic and other calls; correct! The only calls I have ever used for coyote are: Turkey Slate, Turkey Gobble, Grey Fox Distress, and Fawn Bleat. Coyote know what a Fawn Bleat and a Turkey yelp are and they typically react within 15 minutes. In addition, Coyote hate Grey Fox and there is something about a Fox Distress call, which a Coyote cannot resist. I haven't heard too many dying rabbits screaming in the deer woods, have you? If you can call a Turkey in and there are coyote in the area, you can call in a coyote; guaranteed. However, you are now hunting Turkey with an extreme sense of smell. "Engagement Area Development" is something I don't hear too many, if any hunters talk about. I typically walk the terrain from where I set up, identify the animals approach, and visualize where the animal will be killed; this is based on wind direction, my position, and my scent cone (the coyote will ALWAYS enter from the down wind side). Walking the terrain also enables you to see your hide position from the animals view, when it enters the Engagement Area. Once I walk the terrain and identify where the coyote will approach, I hang markers on branches and the ground to rapidly identify range from my shooting position. Then I move back to my hide position, give it about 15 minutes to settle down and start calling Turkey, back against the tree-facing the Engagement Area. If you emplace a decoy with this technique, you will need to use gloves and the coyote may still pick up your scent. I often use Grey Fox cover scent around decoy emplacement; it goes back to the Grey Fox-Coyote hate relationship. Coyote move in quick if there is a decoy; coyote move in slow and hang up on the down wind edge without a decoy. If you emplace a Turkey decoy, put it out 50-100 yards. This will enable you to continue calling. If you don't put a decoy out, you may spot a coyote hung up on the down wind edge, staring right at you..."Kill a Coyote; save a Fawn and a Poult!"
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 am

I plan to spend my first weekend in Montana chasing Wiley. I can't wait.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:48 pm

Have a lot of fun and good luck.

:D Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”