Not to many hunt coyotes it seems.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
alleyyooper

Re: Not to many hunt coyotes it seems.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Learn to sew the holes up. Really isn't all that hard to do and there are even you tubes to watch and learn.

If you trap them how do you dispatch them? Club them in the head so there is no hole?

:D. Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:16 am

wonder what they taste like I never shot one for simple reason I don't want to kill an animal I don't eat I know lion tastes good though
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Come coyote hunt in Massachusetts, it compares to the deer hunting in Iowa & Wisconsin. :lol:

I am just getting into myself, hoping to bag one this weekend.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Watching WXYZ TV 7 Detroit news this morning and they had a story about a ladies small dog that was attacked yesterday by a coyote.

I find that a good enough reason to shoot them.

They taste fine, If I gave you some cooked meat and not tell you (which I never would do) you were eatting, you would like it and ask what it was.

:D Al
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:44 am

alleyyooper wrote:Learn to sew the holes up. Really isn't all that hard to do and there are even you tubes to watch and learn.

If you trap them how do you dispatch them? Club them in the head so there is no hole?

:D. Al

Fur buyers don't like holes. Even sewn holes. The hides lose value. When you trap, you shoot them in the top of the head from point blank range. Holes in the head don't matter. When you hunt them, you shoot them in the heart-lungs like any animal. Those holes are not good for getting value for the hide.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:49 am

Predators (coyote and bobcat) are open season for hunting and killing on public land in my home state. Draw back is, hunting predators is only allowed during another coinciding hunting season using the same weapons allowed to hunt whatever game is in season. So if I went coyote hunting it would have to be with a shotgun using number 5 shot as if I was turkey hunting. During turkey season or again with a shotgun during squirrel season.

I guess I could try going after coyote during turkey season one day, but I see my time being better spent fishing or scouting for deer season. I'd also prefer to have a decent mentor to show me the ropes of coyote hunting. I'd like to skin them and have the hides tanned so there would be a bit of reward for the effort. Going out and dropping money on a caller and a critter waving tail isn't in the budget, especially not knowing if I'm gonna like it.

I don't know how I feel about eating coyotes. I have plenty of venison to last till next deer season. I don't turkey hunt either, it's not for me I don't care for turkey much. If I wanted turkey I'd just buy it at the store. Turkey isn't something I prefer to eat, it's ok fried but it's still second to fried chicken, chicken tenders, or chicken nuggets IMO.

I kill every coyote I can during deer season. If it's a shot I can make, its a shot I will take. I've hit them with an arrow before never recovered and killed them with muzzleloader and rifle.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:51 pm

I used to hunt them quite a bit but I guess have become more soft in my old age. Hunting here in the Southeast for them is different. I like to hit up farms. Cattle farms or even better chicken farms. If the wind is in your face they will try and circle down wind. A cross wind is usually an easier bet. I’ve found that they will not just cross a field to come to your call. I like to sit watching a corner or point, ditch, or brush rows. I try to setup with some kind of barrier: open field behind, chicken house behind, etc. As been mentioned don’t slam doors and be quite. I’ve walked up on several just walking in. Also as mentioned start calling soft then work up louder and whenever you stop calling, sit an extra 10 or 20 min. Make sure to look everything over before leaving. Don’t miss one either. They learn real quick and seem to tell all their buddies. Also, I quit using an electronic caller. I find mouth calls that they don’t sell in big box stores work best
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:35 am

Our fur buyer takes well sewn hides with no problem. Told us at last Sundays meeting we will get $65.00 for a while as that is in line with the Canadain fur auctions sales. He takes his hides early in march to sell at the auction.

Was also told at the meeting by one member that a rabbit in distress started low volume for about 5 minutes then raiseing and lowering rhe volume for about 10 minutes 2 minutes of slielnce. then cut loose with a pup in distress loud has been working for him and his partner.

We hold our meetings every 2 weeks and there are 10 in the group, one is off to college and one is in a nurseing home recovering from a accident.

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:35 am

I wounded one with a bow about 25 yrs ago. It was chasing a snowshoe Hare and fought it right in front of me. I shot it and had a blood trail but never found it. One time I was calling for them along a river. I decided it was no use. So , I go take a walk and came across some strange tracks in the snow so I followed it. When I was down following it I ended up 25' from where I was calling. It jumped up on a stump and watched me. No doubt it was a bobcat the way it clawed at the trees and knocking bark off the trees. SO, I follow the bobcat tracks, and then see a coyote. Yep, a whole 50' from me as I dial down the scope form 9 power I take a last second pot shot and no luck. SO, discussed, I go back to the cabin and pass where I was calling in the first place just to see fresh coyote tracks 5' from where I was calling in the first place. I have given up on it but would like to start again but seems so futile when I could be scouting for deer. I have to say there are an awful lot of tracks in S.E. Wisconsin . and I get them on the cam in northern Wisconsin much more often than I used to .
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:25 am

I have bagged a few...its not as big a passion as deer hunting but something to do on the side.

Sounds like I need to take my coyotes elsewhere to sell :lol: Fur prices stink right now, including yotes around here. Eastern yotes are worth very little, westerns from the plains states are supposedly hot I am told.

I know fur fairly well having grown up trapping. My top 2 yotes this year got $25 and $30 apiece and they were great fur - perfectly prime, light colored, nice bellies, XL yotes. 5 years ago I was getting $60-80 dollar tops. I am holding onto half a dozen for next year in the freezer to see if the market is any better then.

I am up to 15 this year....snared 7 shot 8. Might beat last year when I finished with 17, would have never guessed I would get that many. Im pretty sure its because there isn't much trapping going on with the low fur prices. Most years I don't get near that many. They are thick around here the last couple years.

I prefer a mouth call, I know a lot of guys swear by electronic callers. If there is much hunting pressure in my experience the yotes wise up to electronic callers. Kinda like diaphragm calls for turkeys, most of them have a similar pitch I think. But they are a good way to start out and do have the benefit of helping a solo hunter set up downwind of the call....yes about 90% of yotes will try to come in from downwind. And I think a 3 or 4 year old yote is 10 times smarter than a deer of the same age. You don't fool many of them!

Quite a few I bag just while deer hunting. This year shot one with the bow, one with the smokepole.

Anyway...yea getting after yotes is fun!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:56 pm

I kill them when I can, just don't have a lot of fun hunting for them. Guess cause it cuts into my fishing time. I normally get one or two during deer season however I missed 2 shots at them this season.

I have the best luck just driving back roads at daylight and shooting em from the fence line out in the farm fields. Ranchers sure are more willing to let u coyote hunt than deer hunt. Don't think anyone has every told me no when I asked to predator hunt.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 am

While deer hunting is a passion with me and I spend nearly every minute of the season in the woods. But our deer season only goes from Oct 1st archury to end Jan1st archery with fire arm and muzzle loader season in-between.

So with coyote season now being 12 months of the year it leaves plenty of time for hunting coyotes and still have time to fish.

With hunting coyotes we also have ran into some great deer hunting as the scouting is done along with killing coyotes.

We change up our sounds with the E caller Ico Tec has a sound libary where you can down load sounds to put on a SD card.

Last few sessions my partner and I have been useing the sounds of a couple barn cats having a disagreement. Coyotes love cat meat It seems, come in smoking hot.

Autumnrider

Unread postby Autumnrider » Sat May 05, 2018 12:12 pm

alleyyooper wrote:Coyote hunting I believe is different east of the big muddy than west from my readings. I am going to talk east side of the big muddy.

With coyotes you have to play the wind like deer only more so as the coyote likes to circle around so it can get your scent.

Random noises are also not good so leave the cell phone at the truck or at home, rattleing keys, change and such has to stay other places than your pockets. Don't be slaming the doors on your truck get them to where a good push shuts them. Shut up!!!! No talking once parked and out of the truck, going into a set and even coming out because you may want to try that set a few weeks down the road. Work out signs on what you want to do with your hunting partner. Also you can hunt alone and it work pretty good but having a partner so you have 2 extra sets of eyes and watch each others backs helps.

These days the woods and surrounding fields are pretty silent for the most part other than sounds wild life makes and the wind in the trees. Start calling with a low volume, after 10 to 15 minutes go to medium volume another 5 and near full volume. We only call for about 20 minutes per set and most coyote hunting forums and blogs say 20 minutes, so people have gotten the idea that at 20 minutes you pack up all your stuff and get out of dodge. we always stay a full 30 minutes slient watching, many times as long as 40 minutes.

Again use sign to pack it in and keep your rap trap shut till in the truck and driving away. Once again you may want to set up there again and the less the coyotes smell and hear makes it better at a future date.

When the snow gets gets deep enough you don't want to walk in it we use home made cross country skis, they are wider than the skinny skis sold for sking on groomed trails. Down hill skis found at yard sales and some chisle work on the bottom to make a fish scale sort of patteren and old rubber tractor tire bindings for our pac boots. there does come a time when the snow gets so deep we turn to snow shoes.

Don't like the weight of bi pods and we also like to set so maked cross sticks 1/4x1/4 that are adjustable in how tall they can be. For dragging out coyotes we are going to skin we use plastic, old shower curtins are thicker and work real well even on grass.

I have learned a lot from Varmint al's web site, how to make bifor pods or cross sticks, Sounds you can listen to and get an idea how you should sound with mouth calls. sounds you can down load to an MP3 player and then make your own caller on the cheap, Although the Ico Tec 300 is less than $100.00 and has real good reviews.

My first E Caller used a MP3 player for the sounds and cost less than $50.00 to make about 17 years ago. Radio Shack parts except the speaker.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/servic ... 79/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/servic ... 97/enhance

All great tips.
I would like to add try to get a cross wind while calling, try to find areas with a lake, clear cut, field, just something that will keep the wind away from a dog's nose or an area it can't circle without you seeing him.
One other thing, here east of the "Big Muddy", it's thick and the action is usually surprisingly in your face quick, so keep your gun at shoulder and ready. Shotgun with #4 buck is great.
Autumnrider

Unread postby Autumnrider » Sat May 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Oh, forgot to mention......if your not saving the hide and your just wanting to exterminate, July, August and September are my favorite times to call. Young dawgs are out!
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Mon May 07, 2018 10:09 pm

We sell the hides. Our hide buyer became part of our group a year and a half ago because of his daughter who wanted to hunt them.

We like fence row corners on high ground a lot also we use decoys set in the open near the call/speaker to draw them away from us.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”