Not to many hunt coyotes it seems.

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

Not to many hunt coyotes it seems.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:01 am

Seems like there isn't a hot bed of coyote hunters on this site.

:mrgreen: Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.
Weaver.b

Re: Not to many hunt coyotes it seems.

Unread postby Weaver.b » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:52 pm

I was just day dreaming at work today about how id love to be able to read as good of tactics to kill coyotes as what we get to read about deer on here. I dont know crap from apple butter when it comes to actually successfully hunting and trapping yotes but I would sure like to get good at it.
When my time upon this earth the days they are fulfilled let me die at least as clean as those I killed
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:07 pm

I've tried it a few times, just never really had any success. Or found any great spots to hunt them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:21 pm

I’ve always had better luck killing them on stand deer hunting. Just never had much luck calling, hand calls or automated callers. It takes very little to educate them so I figured I was always doing more harm than good.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:35 am

Coyote hunting I believe is different east of the big muddy than west from my readings. I am going to talk east side of the big muddy.

With coyotes you have to play the wind like deer only more so as the coyote likes to circle around so it can get your scent.

Random noises are also not good so leave the cell phone at the truck or at home, rattleing keys, change and such has to stay other places than your pockets. Don't be slaming the doors on your truck get them to where a good push shuts them. Shut up!!!! No talking once parked and out of the truck, going into a set and even coming out because you may want to try that set a few weeks down the road. Work out signs on what you want to do with your hunting partner. Also you can hunt alone and it work pretty good but having a partner so you have 2 extra sets of eyes and watch each others backs helps.

These days the woods and surrounding fields are pretty silent for the most part other than sounds wild life makes and the wind in the trees. Start calling with a low volume, after 10 to 15 minutes go to medium volume another 5 and near full volume. We only call for about 20 minutes per set and most coyote hunting forums and blogs say 20 minutes, so people have gotten the idea that at 20 minutes you pack up all your stuff and get out of dodge. we always stay a full 30 minutes slient watching, many times as long as 40 minutes.

Again use sign to pack it in and keep your rap trap shut till in the truck and driving away. Once again you may want to set up there again and the less the coyotes smell and hear makes it better at a future date.

When the snow gets gets deep enough you don't want to walk in it we use home made cross country skis, they are wider than the skinny skis sold for sking on groomed trails. Down hill skis found at yard sales and some chisle work on the bottom to make a fish scale sort of patteren and old rubber tractor tire bindings for our pac boots. there does come a time when the snow gets so deep we turn to snow shoes.

Don't like the weight of bi pods and we also like to set so maked cross sticks 1/4x1/4 that are adjustable in how tall they can be. For dragging out coyotes we are going to skin we use plastic, old shower curtins are thicker and work real well even on grass.

I have learned a lot from Varmint al's web site, how to make bifor pods or cross sticks, Sounds you can listen to and get an idea how you should sound with mouth calls. sounds you can down load to an MP3 player and then make your own caller on the cheap, Although the Ico Tec 300 is less than $100.00 and has real good reviews.

My first E Caller used a MP3 player for the sounds and cost less than $50.00 to make about 17 years ago. Radio Shack parts except the speaker.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/servic ... 79/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/servic ... 97/enhance

:D Al
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:36 am

Me too. I've shot 2 with my rifle while deer hunting and called a few in inadvertently while turkey hunting. I bow hunt turkeys and the coyotes hung up just a little too far for a shot. Maybe they didn't like my cheesy decoy?

Emrah
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:40 am

I'm out ice fishing and scouting in the winter anyways. But I don't know if I would coyote hunt simply because I really don't want to shoot something I have no use for. That being said, JoeRE's coyote coat really has the wheels turning :think:

Right now if I shot one I would probably have to leave it lay. I just have nothing to do with it. Thats why I don't hunt them
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:55 am

something I just never had any interest in, ice fishing too
alleyyooper

Unread postby alleyyooper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:29 am

I sell the hides and they are worth some pretty good JINGLE if the hide doesn't have mange. Were getting $60.00 for them last winter, our fur buyer says should be worth a lot more this year with the colder temps.

Plue we eat some of them.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:53 pm

I'd rather trap them than hunt them. Get more money for hides with no holes.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:13 pm

We had alot of sickness in our house during that big cold snap otherwise I'd have been out. Lost all our snow in a warm up but its finally starting to get cold enough to freeze the ground again, ill be hitting it here next week I hope.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:46 pm

A few guys from work invited me to run some with dogs. But it just never interested me. I did shoot one with the bow once.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Yeah, I can trap them and get 10x as many as a guy hunting them. They are primarily nocturnal , so as long as I keep mytraps working I will be in business.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:24 pm

I would really love to learn to effectively trap/snare coyotes. If anyone wants to post some info or links to good info that would be awesome.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:28 pm

alleyyooper wrote:I sell the hides and they are worth some pretty good JINGLE if the hide doesn't have mange. Were getting $60.00 for them last winter, our fur buyer says should be worth a lot more this year with the colder temps.

Plue we eat some of them.

Considering 1:3 coyotes have mange around here....they’re literally not worth the effort. Last time I heard, I believe pelts weren’t even bringing $8 for this region. West and extending North to the panhandle they were bringing $20-$30. Don’t quote me on numbers but it was night and day difference on price.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”