Coyote hunting this winter/spring - how have you done?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Coyote hunting this winter/spring - how have you done?

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:13 am

So despite a very mild winter, we are having incredible luck on coyotes. I am up to 11 over the last several months, 8 of them just in the last month. By far my best year, my brothers have shot a bunch more. I am running out of room in the freezer for the pelts :lol:

Are the other coyote hunters around the midwest seeing anything like this? Usually a hard winter means better hunting, we can't figure out why this year has been so good. We are calling them in without any snow left on the ground.

Wondering if its just because there are more of them because fur prices are so low, a lot less trapping going on around here.

Just curious what you guys are seeing. Thanks!

Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Coyote hunting this winter/spring - how have you done?

Unread postby Nocturnal » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:28 am

Mid February in southeastern wi was pretty awesome. We took 6 yotes in one week. 1 out of 3 sits yeilded in a yote or two. 3 of us went north for two full days. We hunted 16 hours the first day and 11 the next. We pulled one onto the ice at 6:30 in the morning. They were extremely call shy for some reason and that was the only one we saw. I didn't hunt as much as I normally do and this was the first year I didn't trap.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:45 am

There is a group of guys near me that run yotes with dogs. They are very effective and usually take down 20+ a yr. I"ll have to try and get a count from this year. Last I heard they were having a great yr. I think it was mostly because we had a some mild winter weeks with little snow so more guys joined in on the hunt. All close range kills with shotguns. Sometimes they can't shoot bc the dogs are literally right on the yotes tail. Sounds like it can be pretty intense.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:10 am

Had a great year here as well...haven't been out as much as I like, but the times I've been out they've been responsive to calling.. missed some shots I shoulda had, but fun time for sure. Shot my biggest yote this season as well..I wish I would have weighed him....

strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 am

This was my 1st year attempting to trap in Northern WI. I tried for a week but came up empty. Still in the huge learning curve. In one spot I was in, the landowner called the day I left and said he was listening to a pack of coyotes..and believed I just was about 100 yards off (but he didnt tell me about the spot before I started...future plans)

I'm very interested in calling and hunting. If anyone in Wis is up for having another shooter I would LOVE to learn the game !!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:08 am

Kokes that is a monster!

My two biggest this year were a 41 lb male and a 39 lb female. A 50 pounder is extremely rare but I have shot 1 of that size many years ago. That was mid summer though.

Just bagged #9 over a span of 31 days yesterday. Big female, 35 pounds, not rubbed yet either. But the one before that was badly rubbed.

I am used to averaging several days of effort per coyote so this is incredible. The hills are just full of them. And with the snow that we are supposed to get tonight the streak is gonna go at least another week....
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun May 14, 2017 1:46 am

I've never tried it, but it is high on my list for next year!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun May 14, 2017 2:11 am

I have tried it a few times, with no success. My son & I are rookies, and only have a few spots we've tried.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:02 am

Guys near me that run dogs ended up wit 35 for the year, which they said was slow. Season closed March 26th in NY. Wish it alteast stayed open through turkey season and fawning season. I call 1 or 2 in each yr whIle turkey hunting and just have to watch em trot off.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:25 am

A guy in NE VT used to get road kills and put them out at places where he could sneak up 200 yards downwind and peak around a corner - he'd shoot a bunch, 30-40 per year.

I've only seen 3 in the woods - missed one, shot 1, and unwillingly watched 1 - buddy was in the way and he didn't shoot.
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:40 am

Was on a turkey setup in the early evening, about 45 minutes before sunset. I owl hooted attempting to get a gobbler to sound off. In trots a yote from about 200 yards away. I'm guessing the owl hoot may have sounded similar to a yote howl. He came right down a logging road and stopped at 50 yards. Sure he winded us . Any further and he would have been my first !
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:35 am

I'm planning to go tonight with the fawn in distress call. We'll see.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:43 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:I'm planning to go tonight with the fawn in distress call. We'll see.

Called in a few angry does, but no coyotes :violin:
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:45 pm

Kokes wrote:Had a great year here as well...haven't been out as much as I like, but the times I've been out they've been responsive to calling.. missed some shots I shoulda had, but fun time for sure. Shot my biggest yote this season as well..I wish I would have weighed him....

That's a huge dog, Kokes!

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”