Man Vs Wolf

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Man Vs Wolf

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:54 am

Blackhorn wrote:I got to experience this last July. Not fun. I was running bears with dogs. Treed a bear and noticed one of the younger dogs didn't make the tree. When I finally found him he was stripped. One wolf was still on the kill. When I first saw the wolf he was already within 10 yards. No sticks or rocks and no time to get one. I had to keep my eye on him and yell the whole time. He was within 10 yards for the 15-20 minutes it took me to go 150 yards. I almost climbed twice. The worst part was when you couldn't see him in the brush and then he'd appear again. I was in a nasty thick swamp with no visibility. Scary situation. I would have done anything to try and survive if it would have attacked but to think you're gonna choke out a killing machine like a wolf is hilarious. Worst day I've ever had in the woods.

Your probably right! But the question was what would you do? Most of us would try what we said or what others brought up. Point is we'd all fight like to try and survive!!!!!!!!

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:00 am

stash59 wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:I got to experience this last July. Not fun. I was running bears with dogs. Treed a bear and noticed one of the younger dogs didn't make the tree. When I finally found him he was stripped. One wolf was still on the kill. When I first saw the wolf he was already within 10 yards. No sticks or rocks and no time to get one. I had to keep my eye on him and yell the whole time. He was within 10 yards for the 15-20 minutes it took me to go 150 yards. I almost climbed twice. The worst part was when you couldn't see him in the brush and then he'd appear again. I was in a nasty thick swamp with no visibility. Scary situation. I would have done anything to try and survive if it would have attacked but to think you're gonna choke out a killing machine like a wolf is hilarious. Worst day I've ever had in the woods.

Your probably right! But the question was what would you do? Most of us would try what we said or what others brought up. Point is we'd all fight like to try and survive!!!!!!!!

I did what I had to, kept my eyes on him and kept yelling at him and tired to get to safety. I can tell you that when the wolf came at me I wasn't thinking of choking it, I was thinking keep him in front of me, that was the hardest part.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:11 am

scary, and they think we need more in the state.

reminds me of the guy 2yrs ago in central wis. that was scouting for gun deer season, and got jumped by 3. He was fortunate that he was packing.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:28 am

I've heard of police dogs breaking officers arms in a training scenario where they were in the protective suit!

Also had some family friends working a movie set where a real wolf was being used and they said it was by far the biggest dog they've ever seen. In reality I'd try and climb a tree then try a flying elbow 8-)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:35 am

Twenty Up wrote:I've heard of police dogs breaking officers arms in a training scenario where they were in the protective suit!

Also had some family friends working a movie set where a real wolf was being used and they said it was by far the biggest dog they've ever seen. In reality I'd try and climb a tree then try a flying elbow 8-)

No doubt, the one I dealt with was massive. German shepards are small compared to wolves.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:54 am

Blackhorn wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:I've heard of police dogs breaking officers arms in a training scenario where they were in the protective suit!

No doubt, the one I dealt with was massive. German shepards are small compared to wolves.

No kidding!!! largest domestic doc track I've seen was from a huge St. Bernard. about 4 1/2" long by 4" wide. Not including claws. Largest wolf track was 6 1/2" long by 6" wide. Sheperds are actually a large medium sized dog.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:56 am

stash59 wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:

No kidding!!! largest domestic doc track I've seen was from a huge St. Bernard. about 4 1/2" long by 4" wide. Not including claws. Largest wolf track was 6 1/2" long by 6" wide. Sheperds are actually a large medium sized dog.

I laugh when I hear someone say I think I saw a wolf. If you think you might have, you didn't. No mistaking one, they are beasts.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 am

stash59 wrote:

Exactly. Nobody has any experience with an actual attack. When your fighting for your life it's amazing what humans can do to survive.
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 am

Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:

Exactly. Nobody has any experience with an actual attack. When your fighting for your life it's amazing what humans can do to survive.

Well I was as close as anyone to being attacked. When he got within 5 yards a couple times I never thought about grabbing it I thought about climbing. I'm pretty sure anyone else in my situation would have done the same.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:17 am

About 10 years ago while late season bow hunting I was followed out of the woods by an entire pack. I was very nervous but stayed calm and kept a steady pace. No way I was taking on an entire pack. They seemed more curious than anything and never got aggressive. This was far NW Vilas County.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 am

This guy was able strangle a wolf:

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/02/ ... abid-wolf/

I can see dan doing this in one of his videos "got me a wolf" :lol:

This old woman killed one with an ax

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newsho ... axe#page-2

I am not trying to say that I could do it myself, I am just saying its been done.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:23 am

mag1 wrote:scary, and they think we need more in the state.

reminds me of the guy 2yrs ago in central wis. that was scouting for gun deer season, and got jumped by 3. He was fortunate that he was packing.

Media sure wrecked that story and made him seem like the bad guy cause the first media to get the story was the NRA and not the AP

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/outd ... 83371.html
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:48 pm

Also to get further into it I bet time of day has to play a big factor. I'd rather take one on during daylight than at night!

Just another reason to stay far South :D
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Twenty Up wrote:Also to get further into it I bet time of day has to play a big factor. I'd rather take one on during daylight than at night!

I'll take the wolves compared to some of the stuff you guys get. Snakes, hogs, gators, fire ants, crazy big skeeters, southern rednecks, tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, tropical storms.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Jonny wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:Also to get further into it I bet time of day has to play a big factor. I'd rather take one on during daylight than at night!

I'll take the wolves compared to some of the stuff you guys get. Snakes, hogs, gators, fire ants, crazy big skeeters, southern rednecks, tornadoes, hurricanes, flooding, tropical storms.

AMEN to that brotha!! :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”