Coyote Question?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinfool14
500 Club

Coyote Question?

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:30 pm

i sat out tonight about an hour before dark and started calling..i was situated in the middle of a hay field next to a round bale and faced a big woods where i expected the yotes to come from..about 30 minutes into my setup..i looked to my right and there where 3 coyotes running at me coming in downwind just as i suspected..but they stop about 400-500 yards out and sat on there butts watching..i had the gun on them and thought about shooting but didnt want to screw up the area for another hunt..the yotes took about 5 minutes and then got up and trotted to the big woods in front of me and starting howling! i called for awhile til dark and nothing came out..my question is will it pay for me to go back to the same spot in the morning and call? or will the yotes be someplace else traveling and they are kinda "call shy" for a few days? or should i go a few hundreds yards downwind from where i was tonight and try calling there?

huntinnurse
500 Club

Re: Coyote Question?

Unread postby huntinnurse » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:22 pm

They got you pegged there, I would move. One of the things I am learning is they are easy to educate. When you see them, shoot them. Otherwise, they will be difficult to call again and will teach their young who are probably just out of site but watching and learning.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:03 pm

They probably came and checked out your call at dark after you left and now they have smelled your set. The ones I have called in during the evening have came in when you can barely see and thats pretty lucky to get them out in the open a half hour before dark. I think they are more easy to call in during mornings when it is just barely light out. They know they need to move fast to get that last meal before it gets light. They might come back out in the morning tho you never know, you cant shoot them laying in bed 8-) . If you go in the morning I would have someone setup where they came out so you get a closer shot and have the caller a long ways from there. They must feel safe to come out there when it is that light out.
That might work.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:12 pm

I think they may have caught your wind when they circled. Calling with the same call, or from the same location likely will just educate them more.
I personally have better luck in the mornings than the evenings. I think they are a little leary when it 1st gets dark.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:48 am

thanks for the help! i figured they got my wind also..i thought i would give it a few days and try it in the morning or wait until a full moon...i agree tho, the mornings are better than the evenings
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:54 am

Make a point of useing a different call. The ones that were tricked will recognize the pitch of the same call... I did that once, called in a pack and shot one with the rabbit squeel and then the next time I hunted the same farm used a puppy cry. Called em all back in again and shot another one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”