Located some yotes

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GFAR100

Located some yotes

Unread postby GFAR100 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:36 am

I was out hunting some public the other evening and I was periodically doing a lone howl. After going silent for about 15-20 min. I heard one coyote let out a long loud response and then the rest of the group kicked in and called back to me with loud kiyi and howls mixed in. It was getting pretty dark and I don't have any night gear so I didn't get to continue the conversation and see if I could get any of them to come in to where I was. So what I am thinking is that I could still go back to that spot and call again. I think I have a good idea where they were calling from. But I don't know if coyotes this time of year keep to an area? I think it is breeding season around this time and I'm asking if anyone has any insight on any of this? Wondering If I should pursue these coyotes I located or just explore other spots and hunt some new areas. Thanks.

Nocturnal
500 Club

Re: Located some yotes

Unread postby Nocturnal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:38 am

GREGFARLEY100 wrote:I was out hunting some public the other evening and I was periodically doing a lone howl. After going silent for about 15-20 min. I heard one coyote let out a long loud response and then the rest of the group kicked in and called back to me with loud kiyi and howls mixed in. It was getting pretty dark and I don't have any night gear so I didn't get to continue the conversation and see if I could get any of them to come in to where I was. So what I am thinking is that I could still go back to that spot and call again. I think I have a good idea where they were calling from. But I don't know if coyotes this time of year keep to an area? I think it is breeding season around this time and I'm asking if anyone has any insight on any of this? Wondering If I should pursue these coyotes I located or just explore other spots and hunt some new areas. Thanks.

It is mating season. And I actually had this happen 2 weeks ago. We hunted over a frozen lake. And right at dark I gave out a howl. With a response back not 500 yards away. We looked at each other and basically high tailed out cause we didn't want to get busted. Came back the next day and started right back with a single long howl. And within 5 mins there it was. Guess what? I missed a 90 yard shot! Haha!! It happens I guess. But the real bummer is we were hunting the forest in west central wi. And put over 10 miles on foot and 15 hours of hunting to see one coyote. Tough tough hunting when your not in farmland. So I will say if you have located them right before dark. I am almost certain they won't be to far from where you heard them. Start with a howl.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GFAR100

Unread postby GFAR100 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:36 am

Damn! I'm sorry you missed em! Especially after all that hiking, but hey thats what we love about it right?HAHA. Sounds cool though hunting over that frozen lake, the public Im hunting in NY is a group of mountain tops, where I think I heard them calling from was down in a stand of white pine near a creek bed when I was coming off the top of the ridge. Anyways thanks a lot for the info I will definitely go back in the next couple of days and give them a howl, thanks again for the advice!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:55 am

That is a cool experience. Let us know if you go back to hunt them again.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:41 am

Get back in after them next time the wind allows a solid approach and set up. Right before dark will be best. Some lone howls or else a male challenge.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”