Red filter

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Petersheim18

Red filter

Unread postby Petersheim18 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:01 am

I'm going coyote hunting and I need a good flashlight that has a red filter. For under 50 bucks
Also is it possible to make a white flashlight red??? I've tired used clear tape and coloring it red but that didn't work so well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Red filter

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:18 am

Petersheim18 wrote:I'm going coyote hunting and I need a good flashlight that has a red filter. For under 50 bucks
Also is it possible to make a white flashlight red??? I've tired used clear tape and coloring it red but that didn't work so well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yes you can make a regular flashlight red by using a red filter. The way a filter works is but filtering out everything but the red light wavelengths so there is a lot of wasted energy there that doesn't make it through the filter. IMO it is best to just get a red light and use that.

I don't use a red light to hunt predators so I don't have any suggestions to offer. I am sure others will be along to share what they know. You may also try posting your question over on the CPF forums.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php
Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:13 am

They don't make the sniper light I have anymore, but this is pretty close to what mine was and the cheapest they offer. This is $75 though so a little over your budget....but well worth it if you can save a little more.

http://www.sniperhawglights.com/30LR-Fl ... p/30fl.htm

The other option is the "Ultrafire" lights. I have the 502b (maybe 501b?) (I'm not sure about the models, but very very similar to these. These lights are definitely good enough for predator hunting. I can pick up eyes at over 300 yards and see an animal pretty clearly out to about 100. The batteries that come with them are pretty worthless, so pick up some of the hawg light batteries too, they last much longer.

I use my ultrafire a lot and it's probably 9 years old. Some people claim they are junk, but I don't think it can be beat for the price. I even bought some different ultrafire batteries and they were better than the one that came with it. But the blue ones from sniper hawg lights are the most reliable batteries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rechargeable-30 ... SwaA5Wj8YM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rechargeable-30 ... SwaA5Wj8YM

If money is definitely an issue, without a doubt, look at the Ultrafire lights. Hope that helps.

Edit to add:

I should also add that my friends and I messed with filters and such before buying better lights. The filters will really cut down on how far the light casts. Granted you don't need much light to "get eyes" but to identify the animal you need more light. I like to wear my light on my head and set it so I scan with the halo but when I lean into the gun, the main beam can be on the animal. I would get a red led and forget about filters.

I also use this strap for my head, which works great. (didn't see any US sellers, but maybe amazon, just wanted to show you which one works for me) Holds the flashlight pretty well....I like it better than a gun mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NiteCore-HB02-H ... SwkNZUl8u1
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:28 am

I will also add that my one friend uses a white light. He's shot some preds using it....

I prefer the red because it saves my nightvision and I definitely think it spooks animals far less than white.

If you're new to lights and coyotes, a few keys to remember are:

Make sure the light stays on the whole time. Turning it on and off definitely spooks yotes. I've seen it a few times when guys don't believe me and try to save battery.

Keep it pointed high so only the halo is shining the eyes.

If you're in woods or brush, move it slowly because it seems like they can see the shadows from the light. I've seen foxes and yotes spook at fast light movement.

They can't see you behind the light so you can get away with a lot of movement, as long as you're behind the light and not illuminated by it.

Scan on your way into spots. (this is why I carry a lot of batteries) I can't count how many times we got eyes in a field or on a trail on our way into setup. Sometimes you can call them in right then and there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”