Have you ever heard a redfox scream?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Have you ever heard a redfox scream?

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:02 am

I was out earlier this year hunting predators after dark and running a rabbit distress call when all of the sudden, I heard this awful scream and then what sounded like a barred owl hooting. I thought "well, an owl is a predatory bird so maybe it came in looking for an easy meal".

I later found out that what I heard was a redfox scream and it's often mistaken for an owl. Regardless, in the pitch black of the night, it was a little eerie. haha Here is a video of the different fox vocalizations (what I heard was at 1:35 on the video).

[bbvideo=425,350]https://youtu.be/J6NuhlibHsM[/bbvideo]

superseal

Re: Have you ever heard a redfox scream?

Unread postby superseal » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:53 am

I see several fox while hunting....just never hear them. Good stuff!
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:15 am

Once in th UP of Michigan watching a bait on a small lake. I had no clue what it was until it came onto the lake to the bait, then I missed.
[ Post made via Android ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:31 am

Thanks for sharing.

I heard fox bark before, but not the screaming.

I heard an awful skreech just before I shot my bear on 2014. I would have thought bobcat, but I dont know. Then shortly after had a bear in the bait.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:33 am

Wow, never heard it. Have heard a bobcat though a few times, about as equally creepy sounding as that.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:38 am

8-) 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:49 am

I have heard that Vixen Scream before but never connected it with a fox. Always creepy to hear because it sounds like a woman screaming in terror. :o

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:03 am

Cool! I like the range of vocalizations shown

slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:09 am

Dewey wrote:I have heard that Vixen Scream before but never connected it with a fox. Always creepy to hear because it sounds like a woman screaming in terror. :o

I've heard it too. Very creepy. Didn't know it was a fox till I got back home and looked into it. It sounds just like a ghostly woman scream. Like in the movies. I was sitting on the ground gun hunting waiting for daylight. My gun was loaded real quick.

E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Yes. A long time ago . I was probably 17 and walking in to bowhunt before first light . I heard it twice then saw it on the other side of a field after daylight broke . I'm pretty sure it scared the crap out of me ! :lol:

Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:36 pm

Cool video! A few of those sounds are totally new to me like the howl and the gekkering.

However, the fox barks and screams I hear a lot. We have a million foxes here though. Reds and greys. The alarm bark becomes familiar when they circle down wind and decide to bark at you for 10 minutes. Buggers....

I can actually do the sounds with my own voice...hurts my throat though if I do it too much. I have used it to call in hung up foxes. Scared the bejeezus out of my friends the first time I did it. We were all sitting relatively close one night watching different directions and different woods roads. Heard a fox scream in the distance so I answered back.

I forgot to tell my buddies I had been practicing the sound for a few weeks and had it pretty well perfected. LOL My one buddy said he couldn't hunt anymore that night because he had to go home and change his underwear. lol

I do agree too, before I knew what it was, it was a pretty haunting sound. lol

There is some kind of owl or pterodactyl that comes in to prey calls too though. It's definitely up in the trees and it flies....dang thing makes some weird shrill noise. That thing scares the heebies out of me if I'm getting a little drowsy and not paying attention. I still don't know what it is and I've been predator hunting for at least 10 years.

There's also a few weird coyote vocalizations I've heard that I have never seen anyone talk about. They definitely communicate more than we know....especially when they are hunting your calling. They seem to split up and talk to each other with weird little like yips and indescribable sounds. Gets the hair on my neck to stand up sometimes.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:29 am

I always knew they yipped but never heard it unless I mstaked it for a Bobcat. However, I was watching a little pile of corn while sitting in my cabin and a red fox came along and started eating it in the spring time. I saw this 2 times once a red fox and one time 2 grey fox .Does that count????
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:19 pm

https://youtu.be/jofNR_WkoCE

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”