Coyote Down - With Setup Pics

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Coyote Down - With Setup Pics

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:05 pm

Just thought I would post this to maybe help someone out. I'm not expert but have had good luck calling in coyotes. Being on here and learning about wind has definitely helped.

This is a farm with chicken houses that I've had good luck calling in. I talked to the owner after killing this one and he lets another guy coyote hunt it and said the guy hunts it all the time and has never had any luck. He drives in on a 4 wheeler and probably has no regard for wind direction. Also, I would bet he over calls and uses the same sounds on his electronic caller over and over. I got this coyote yesterday just 3 days after he had been there. So here's my setup.

I always start out at the blue X by setting up on that brushy fence line. If it's early in the morning I sneak in and make sure no coyotes are looking around the chicken house. I caught one doing that one time. I've called in doubles twice and several singles on that x. If they have hay bales out I setup in the field with two people, one on each side of that brushy draw south of the blue X. I start out here with a soft rabbit distress and gradually get a little louder. I did this yesterday with no luck. The land owner said he hears them by the creek/river that cuts through the woods to the north and west, and this is where the other guy always goes. After we setup on the blue X, we walked the fence line down and setup at the green x. There was one lone tree just below the x if you can see it. I picked this spot because any coyote in that thick area to the south will have to come in cross wind with that west wind. They can't circle down wind from there without me seeing. Also, in the south, I've noticed coyotes almost never bolt out into an open field during a calling sequence. They will come out from the woods in a corner or through that brushy draw around the blue x and check things out in the field.

I started calling soft again. You'd be amazed how sometimes just a few hundred yards can make a difference in if a coyote can hear. Still nothing so I switched to a louder call. Now I had dogs barking from adjacent properties. Still nothing, so after few min, another short sequence. Still nothing but then I saw some birds fly off from the thicket. I called once more and nothing. We were just about to leave when I looked at that red dot on the brush line and saw what looked like a coyote. I glassed it and sure 'nuff he was there, but hung up looking mostly downwind. I kept calling but this time softer and he kept looking back and forth and into the field. My cousin was going to try to flank him since he was hung up. Finally he started coming in but hung again mid field (other red dot). After a few soft calls and him not seeing anything (i forgot my rabbit decoy) he started to bolt. I shot him at 230 yrds and didn't get a good hit and then popped him at 260 in the neck.

Darion

Re: Coyote Down - With Setup Pics

Unread postby Darion » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Way to go!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:17 pm

nice I hope to put a few down next week. What did you shoot him with? of an exit!

NM looked again just a lot of blood.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks guys! It was a 243 savage model 10 predator. It's accurate but heavy. The exit wasn't too bad just lots of blood like you noticed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Good job

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Congrats and thanks for taking the time to do the write up! Have you ever tried hunting them after dark? You can pick the eyes up hundreds of yards out and not worry about missing one that may be hung up and you didn't see it.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:03 pm

xpauliber wrote:Congrats and thanks for taking the time to do the write up! Have you ever tried hunting them after dark? You can pick the eyes up hundreds of yards out and not worry about missing one that may be hung up and you didn't see it.

Thanks guys and no problem xpauliber! I would love to but it's not legal without a permit. I'd love to have a thermal imaging scope and drop them like that too.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:33 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:32 am

Nice job!!! Thanks for the details !!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:33 am

So where was your call in relation to the red X where you shot it from?
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:53 am

I've really gotten into predator hunting since last January and what I realized is that I don't really know much about my prey (in relation to how much I know about whitetails). So I've really started looking into information about the life of a coyote.

Here are a couple resources for you to check out:

http://www.tombechdel.com/ This guy is from PA (my home state) and claims to have shot over 500 coyotes in PA. There's a DVD about halfway down the page that I got that is GREAT! He covers the senses & life of a coyote and shows some setups for wooded & hilly areas (not just wide open plains like out west).

He also has an awesome story about a hunt where the property was infested with coyotes and the landowner got in touch with him to hunt. He set up in the middle of winter and started calling and he said it looked like a caribou migration coming at him but it was coyotes. I think he shot 6 dogs that hunt.

He goes a little over the top on his scent control routine in my opinion especially later in the DVD when he says that you MUST do your sets with the wind in your favor or the game is over. Kind of defeats the need for scent elimination. Anyways, I highly recommend it if you're interested in learning more about coyotes.

http://www.downwindoutdoors.com/ These guys are from New York state and they do an awesome job calling in dogs and filming them in the eastern US. You get to see their setups, a timer for how long they've been on stand, and all of their hunts are done during daylight (mostly at dawn). The one thing that struck me about their hunts is that they use hand/mouth calls and not electronic calls. I always thought the advantage of the electronic call is to get them responding to something away from your location but these guys are consistently successful with hand/mouth calls. They can change the tone, volume, pitch, etc. which helps to keep the coyotes from becoming educated to the sound of the same electronic caller. The one guy even called a dog in just doing a howl with his mouth.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:38 am

Thanks for sharing the set up. I struggle with that
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:15 am

No problem UncleLou! Xpauliber, I was setup on that green x calling and facing toward the red dots. I figured they would come in from that bottom red dot and he did. They could have come in around that corner in front of us or west toward the river....even from behind. With this wind though they'd have to come from the road or chicken houses to wind us which would be very very unlikely. If they came from behind the cows would have alerted us. Though that's a possibility, they typically won't come across a big wide open field but rather do like this one and hang up in the woods edge and check things out.

If they do come in they use cover like the brushy draw out by the yellow x and just pop out staying close to the cover. I called a bobcat in last year with a similar setup with the main road behind me sitting by a lone tree in an open field. He came out of a cutover.

One thing to keep in mind is give it some time before you leave after calling and check carefully around. We almost left too fast and I happened to make one last check of the woods edge and saw him.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:17 am

Also take two people if possible. One can watch the side and back behind and the other can watch in front. Sometimes putting someone 30-50 yrds downwind is a good idea. They will circle if they can and I got busted by one a few months ago by not doing so.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”