100% newbie - Need coyote 101 course

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

100% newbie - Need coyote 101 course

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:46 am

I like to think that I'm a well-rounded outdoorsman and hunter but this winter is my first time hunting coyotes and I've been extremely humbled. I've been out tons of times calling but haven't gotten one to respond yet. I don't have a light yet so I've just been going out at dawn and about an hour before dark. I've paid extreme attention to the wind and tried to setup with the wind blowing into the open. I'm mainly hunting big woods settings with massive laurel beds and open hardwood timber.

When you walk out in the woods to call a coyote in, what does your routine look like? (What calls do you use, how long do you call, how long do you wait, etc.). I'm a complete amateur at this so any tips are greatly appreciated!

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: 100% newbie - Need coyote 101 course

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 pm

I've called in many, but I'm no expert. A few things I know though. They have to be fairly close to hear it. I had one going across a field at about 400 yards. I hit the rabbit call and no response. I couldn't believe it. Get in a wooded area it might be less. Also don't miss one. Chances of a response to another call is slim. Though I've had it happen. I also start out calling soft then get louder. If one is close a loud call can run them off. For me howling has only had a response early and late but only had one come into it. That's harder to do though. Also not had any luck with electronic calls. All my responses have been mouth calls. I like to look for ones that aren't sold in big box stores like bass pro, Academy, Walmart etc. Hard to do though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:58 pm

I am by no means an expert but will try and hunt coyotes from time to time.

Found out in northern Wisconsin my calling success is not good.

If I got to Iowa or western Wisconsin my success if much better.

Not sure if due to a population difference but think it has more to do with open areas versus northern Wis. thick woods.

I believe you need to find in thick woods natural opens were coyotes fear being exposed thereby not smelling you.

In Iowa and Western Wisconsin many open areas I hunt so coyotes are limited in scenting me.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:53 am

I think scouting coyote should not be overlooked. It seams when many people first start going they buy some new calls, then go out and cold call, and hope they come running in.

For some, that has worked out ok. For me cold calling hasn't produced around here (SE Michigan). When I occasionally get into them, my scouting time was there.

I would pick up a copy of predator xtreme. There is a lot of good information in there.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:18 am

Scout, scout, scout and then scout .....
If them doggies aren't there your not going to call them in. This time of year vocalizations are a great way to go, after starting with some distress calls ..... Hunting here in Michigan I stick to the thick nasty areas which they tend to prefer, on occasion you'll call em' out into open areas. Good luck and don't give up, ir will eventually come together ...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”