Unwanted Surprise

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Unwanted Surprise

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:34 am

I'll provide a little of the back story. Last week I was doing some yard work and noticed some scat by field that appeared to be coyote but I wasn't sure because I've got a lab/shepherd mix that occasionally gets a slow rabbit. I haven't seen or heard any coyotes at our house since we've lived there. We do have a fox den over the hill and we periodically see two fox during the winter months. They aren't shy and my dog doesn't bother them and they obviously don't bother her so we have (mainly my wife) come to enjoy having them around. There are still rabbits and pheasant around the house so the fox must not do too much damage. Fast forward to this morning as I was backing out of my garage my dog is squaring off in the yard (not the field), 50 yards from the house with a large coyote. I jumped out of the vehicle and yelled and the coyote retreated with my dog on it's tail. I immediately went to the gun cabinet and grabbed my mosin nagant. As I walked out of the basement door I called my dog back and she made it back to the house. The coyote began coming back towards the house and I thought to myself what the h e double hockey sticks is this thing doing. I'll be honest I was not happy, I got a good rest and took the 300+ yard shot. It was quartered toward me and I hit it right in front of the hind leg. She spun around a couple times and took off. I then realized there were two more in the fence row about 75 yards away, by the fox den. Whether they were after the fox or my dog, it doesn't matter, they picked a fight with the wrong redneck. The war is on this weekend. :D

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Unwanted Surprise

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:41 am

They sound pretty brave... You should be able to call the other two in.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:24 am

I haven't been coyote hunting since I moved back to northern Indiana because they haven't been a problem on any of the farms I hunt and I only see them every few months while driving. I did keep all of my calls just in case I would ever need them again, so it looks like the time is now. Hopefully I'll have pictures after this weekend, I will probably continue to only shoot them when they become a nuisance but for now I'm going to consider to these a nuisance. Besides, coyote doesn't taste as good as pheasant or rabbit.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:36 am

I saw a huge coyote (dark grey almost black) while scouting yesterday. He saw me and took off. I thought to myself a couple that size could be trouble if they were aggressive. I might start packing in the field if I see many more like that.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 am

Redman232 wrote:I'll provide a little of the back story. Last week I was doing some yard work and noticed some scat by field that appeared to be coyote but I wasn't sure because I've got a lab/shepherd mix that occasionally gets a slow rabbit. I haven't seen or heard any coyotes at our house since we've lived there. We do have a fox den over the hill and we periodically see two fox during the winter months. They aren't shy and my dog doesn't bother them and they obviously don't bother her so we have (mainly my wife) come to enjoy having them around. There are still rabbits and pheasant around the house so the fox must not do too much damage. Fast forward to this morning as I was backing out of my garage my dog is squaring off in the yard (not the field), 50 yards from the house with a large coyote. I jumped out of the vehicle and yelled and the coyote retreated with my dog on it's tail. I immediately went to the gun cabinet and grabbed my mosin nagant. As I walked out of the basement door I called my dog back and she made it back to the house. The coyote began coming back towards the house and I thought to myself what the h e double hockey sticks is this thing doing. I'll be honest I was not happy, I got a good rest and took the 300+ yard shot. It was quartered toward me and I hit it right in front of the hind leg. She spun around a couple times and took off. I then realized there were two more in the fence row about 75 yards away, by the fox den. Whether they were after the fox or my dog, it doesn't matter, they picked a fight with the wrong redneck. The war is on this weekend. :D

Whoa! If you need backup let met know! I got my .222 dialed in and double 12 just in case they get too close! Good luck with'em!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:18 am

Kinda off topic, but has anyone been followed out of the woods in the dark by coyotes? I have once, kinda creepy, and ever since I carry a sidearm.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:54 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Kinda off topic, but has anyone been followed out of the woods in the dark by coyotes? I have once, kinda creepy, and ever since I carry a sidearm.

I've been followed twice, but that was early in the morning. I had one follow me and once I got in the stand I could see his silhouette at the base of my tree sniffing around. I had a drag rag with doe in heat, so that probably what prompted him to follow. I also had one (or more) follow me in the bottoms of a CRP field. That was eerie. The were yippin and howlin' what sounded to more than a 100yds behind me. I had a small light and was shining across the field and seen their little beady eyes.I really don't think they would've attacked. Probably more curious than anything. So, yeah that's when I told myself I need to start packin' my sidearm.
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Kinda off topic, but has anyone been followed out of the woods in the dark by coyotes? I have once, kinda creepy, and ever since I carry a sidearm.

I've been followed twice, but that was early in the morning. I had one follow me and once I got in the stand I could see his silhouette at the base of my tree sniffing around. I had a drag rag with doe in heat, so that probably what prompted him to follow. I also had one (or more) follow me in the bottoms of a CRP field. That was eerie. The were yippin and howlin' what sounded to more than a 100yds behind me. I had a small light and was shining across the field and seen their little beady eyes.I really don't think they would've attacked. Probably more curious than anything. So, yeah that's when I told myself I need to start packin' my sidearm.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:05 am

BowtechHunting wrote:

Thats what they did to me too. They started howling within 50 yards right after sundown and I could hear them scurrying thru the woods all around me. I grabbed a big stick and continued to walk. I wasn't really scared but I was hoping to beat one down that got close enough. They stayed away but I had a feeling they were wanting a piece of me.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”