Coyote Pups

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you shoot coyote puppies?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 66
moosehound

Coyote Pups

Unread postby moosehound » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:12 pm

A Couple years ago I was turkey hunting and stumbled across two coyote pups. I put the gun up but I couldn't pull the trigger. I kept telling myself "DO IT" but I just couldn't. And know I wonder how many fawns and turkeys those two have probably killed.

I hunt whitetails all year long.
Dewey

Re: Coyote Pups

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm a softy when it comes to stuff like that. No way I could kill a baby animal no matter what it is.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:42 pm

I couldn't do it....But mom, dad , grandma and granpa and all other kinfolk older than a year would eat lead for sure!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:31 pm

I don't think there is an animal God has created that I could hate... I don't blame coyotes or wolves for doing what they do. I do think they need to be hunted... But, I would not kill pups.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:22 pm

no,not a pup.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:48 am

I voted yes, I probably would but have never been in that situation. My neighbor Randy was faced with the same situation turkey hunting about 10 yrs ago. He didn't shoot either and I would of put him on the yes list, so maybe I would go soft
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:34 am

Don't think I could. There would be an urge though to.
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:14 pm

I think a Yote with a bow is one heck of a trophy. To just wantonly kill a couple of young yotes wouldn't give me any pleasure or satisfaction. I wouldn't kill the young Yotes. I don't hate yotes, I respect their instinct to survive.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:20 am

I wouldn't, I would prefer to trap them or call them in the fall.
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:10 am

:doh: :doh: :doh: gotta toss pups into this :doh: :doh: :doh:

Rehabber friend of mine is rehabbing a few that will be ready for release real soon

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:23 am

They don't discriminate on fawns...and for those of us who play the management game the answer has different implications. Last year I found 14 sheds, this year 3 and I found 6 dead and a random leg......two were fawns....family lost a number of cats and we have lost sheep and turkeys in the past....although i see the above points clearly; prevention beats cure. It also sets a precedent on where they feel safe to be and raise their young. Just my take...
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:21 am

gjs4 wrote:They don't discriminate on fawns...and for those of us who play the management game the answer has different implications. Last year I found 14 sheds, this year 3 and I found 6 dead and a random leg......two were fawns....family lost a number of cats and we have lost sheep and turkeys in the past....although i see the above points clearly; prevention beats cure. It also sets a precedent on where they feel safe to be and raise their young. Just my take...

I voted yes. The above point makes perfect sense to me. As much as I respect the nature of a coyote to survive, in my point of view harvesting an adult coyote has absolutely no more meaning than harvesting a pup. It all evolves around prevention.

I have and continue to go out to hunt coyotes. I do enjoy the hunt of calling them in for an ethical shot and dispatching them quickly. However, the reason behind hunting them for me personally is to help fawn recruitment where I hunt.

I have also went to farms where I do not deer hunt to assist farmers in sheep and calf loss. I have hunted them in a subdivision where house pets were killed or injured by coyotes as well.

So as sad as it is to see a cute little pup harvested, I don't enjoy shooting them but always feel good knowing they will not live any longer to reproduce
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:24 am

no, I like all animals. wolves included. I have always had a fascination with nature. all creatures have their place in the eco system. do all animals need to be managed? yes, no doubt, but I don't have the "kill em all attitude".
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:29 am

gjs4 wrote:They don't discriminate on fawns...and for those of us who play the management game the answer has different implications. Last year I found 14 sheds, this year 3 and I found 6 dead and a random leg......two were fawns....family lost a number of cats and we have lost sheep and turkeys in the past....although i see the above points clearly; prevention beats cure. It also sets a precedent on where they feel safe to be and raise their young. Just my take...

"prevention beats cure. It also sets a precednet on where they feel safe to be and raise their young. Just my take."

you could relate that to humans too. are we not overpopulated? just sayin.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:42 am

Humans make relativity no difference in Coyote numbers. The only thing that seems to effecivly control there numbers is disease. I have seen trappers and hunters try as hard as they can but still make little impact.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”