Coyote Pups

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.

Would you shoot coyote puppies?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 66
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Coyote Pups

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:44 am

I voted yes. The above point makes perfect sense to me. As much as I respect the nature of a coyote to survive, in my point of view harvesting an adult coyote has absolutely no more meaning than harvesting a pup. It all evolves around prevention.

I have and continue to go out to hunt coyotes. I do enjoy the hunt of calling them in for an ethical shot and dispatching them quickly. However, the reason behind hunting them for me personally is to help fawn recruitment where I hunt.

I have also went to farms where I do not deer hunt to assist farmers in sheep and calf loss. I have hunted them in a subdivision where house pets were killed or injured by coyotes as well.

So as sad as it is to see a cute little pup harvested, I don't enjoy shooting them but always feel good knowing they will not live any longer to reproduce

Soooo... In areas where farmers complain about deer eating there crops, should those farmers be able to go out and slaughter new born fawns in may and june?

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

dan wrote:
I voted yes. The above point makes perfect sense to me. As much as I respect the nature of a coyote to survive, in my point of view harvesting an adult coyote has absolutely no more meaning than harvesting a pup. It all evolves around prevention.

I have and continue to go out to hunt coyotes. I do enjoy the hunt of calling them in for an ethical shot and dispatching them quickly. However, the reason behind hunting them for me personally is to help fawn recruitment where I hunt.

I have also went to farms where I do not deer hunt to assist farmers in sheep and calf loss. I have hunted them in a subdivision where house pets were killed or injured by coyotes as well.

So as sad as it is to see a cute little pup harvested, I don't enjoy shooting them but always feel good knowing they will not live any longer to reproduce

Soooo... In areas where farmers complain about deer eating there crops, should those farmers be able to go out and slaughter new born fawns in may and june?

Well as a matter of fact, farmers in areas of Ohio I hunt, do obtain deprivation permits. These permits are used obtained and only valid during the summer months. I think June-August....but I cant say for sure as I have never been on his farm during the deprivation shoots.

The farmer I am talking about there will let ANYONE deer hunt as long as they are safe and stay within his borders. However most of the hunters (minus the Amish) are in there buck hunting...and not enough deer are being harvested.

He still looses thousands of dollars per year in crop damage. A fawn to him is nothing other than another deer. I can see both sides, and could easily make an argument for either side. However, I think its a personal preference.... I CHOOSE to shoot any and all coyotes I see where I live due to the fact I know how many they are, and how many fawns, calves, baby sheep and goats are dying due to the coyotes.

I don't practice harvesting of any immature deer, but going back to your comparison, if I were a farmer raising crops to fund my life and lifestyle, I wouldn't feel anymore remorse shooting a fawn than I would shooting any other deer.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:21 am

Oh, one more point

The reason permits are issued during the summer months are to prevent wanna be hunters from obtaining permits and then "slaughtering" bucks rather than the permits being used as intended....to decrease population in and around agriculture area.

I think I have read before that the shooter is obligated to call dnr and surrender any antlers harvested.

But killing deer for the reason of population control isn't restricted to mature or even adult deer only, as shooting yotes should morally be restricted to adults. Heck I couldn't understand wanted a pup to grow up and have the chance to reproduce if killing them for population control is the reason behind shooting one. And if shooting a yote for prevention wasn't the reason for shooting it, or wanting one to mount, is there any other reason to shoot one?
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:17 am

I respect those who respect all life regardless. Showing some compassion is never a bad thing. Thats just being a decent human being. Nothing wrong with that.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:29 am

If I thought they needed killed, I would. I've done worse. :o

For the longest time, I gave coyotes a pass, choosing not to shoot them as I figured they are part of the natural order of things. I've only killed one, that one was caught in a snare.

With the amount of rabbits in the farm yard/garden this year, I think my "friends" have forsaken me. :shock:
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:08 am

dan wrote:Humans make relativity no difference in Coyote numbers. The only thing that seems to effecivly control there numbers is disease. I have seen trappers and hunters try as hard as they can but still make little impact.

I disagree. I have seen the opposite. Especially when pelt prices plummeted years ago. Populations exploded after that.

dan wrote:

Slaughter? That's a word I'm only used to seeing anti's use. I'm not trying to pick on you here (I know you can take it though :mrgreen: ), but I'm just surprised to see you put it that way. They can and do shoot them here in Michigan starting in July (June?) and they can even do it with a spotlight. I don't agree with it because there are plenty of people that would gladly help out during hunting season and I don't like to see the babies shot. I couldn't do it and don't support it. If it's a quick clean kill then I guess it beats the fawn being drug down and eaten alive by coyotes. Especially when the fawns mother gets shot before teaching the fawn all it can about evading predators. Which is why I prefer not to shoot a doe with fawns if there are no other adult does in the family group to finish teaching them. I also don't agree with the summer shooting because the suffering of the fawns that loose their mothers too early for them to survive.

As far as the question asked in this thread goes, I answered yes, but that is only if I am shooting the adults. To me it would be heartless to let the pups starve and die of thirst or be killed by other predators if I was shooting their parents. A well placed bullet to the brain (lights out instantly) would be much more humane, but I would do it with a heavy heart. I believe all creatures are born in innocence or at least relatively so. It would be hard for me to kill a cute little coyote pup. I may let my soft heart get in the way and take the pups to a rehabber, but from a logical standpoint it would be better to just end it then and there. Otherwise I would be saving one life from the quick death I could give it and the result would be many bad deaths for fawns and others.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:29 am

I'm a fan of Charles Darwin, survival of the fittest.

I also have some admiration for the selective breeding/culling of animals; all animals: pets, livestock, wildlife.

Some may find this harsh, so be it.
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 am

As much as I love to hunt yotes I wouldn't shoot pups. The pleasure I get is the hunt, being able to coax those mature Wiley .'s in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 pm

I'm at the top of the food chain for a reason...
As long as all the cute fuzzy hair is gone then they'll be gone too...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:20 am

2 pups mounted into book ends would look sweet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:23 am

i would kill the pups. and i do think people can put a hurting on the yote heard. if they want to. for example when i bought my place i got lots of yote pics then when the am1sh moved around me for 1 or 2 years i barely got a pic of a yote. thats not coincidence . i dont shoot any of them cause i dont feel like wasting my arrows and sets when im hunting deer. but i have nothing against killing any of them. i let my neighbor shoot em when im done deer hunting for the year, so he built a blind on his yard by my open field, he said the acre of corn left standing on my field this year brought in the deer which brought in the yotes
BONECRUSHER

Unread postby BONECRUSHER » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 am

dan wrote:Humans make relativity no difference in Coyote numbers. The only thing that seems to effecivly control there numbers is disease. I have seen trappers and hunters try as hard as they can but still make little impact.

Even more so now that they are moving in to very populated area where they can't be hunted or trapped. It's pretty amazing here in s.e. Michigan to see where they are popping up.

Scott Hill

Nose to the wind, Carbon to the cheek and finger on the trigger
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:45 am

BONECRUSHER wrote:

Even more so now that they are moving in to very populated area where they can't be hunted or trapped. It's pretty amazing here in s.e. Michigan to see where they are popping up.

I remember about 15-20 years ago driving thru a bad neighborhood on Milwaukee's north side and seeing a coyote trotting up the side walk with people out doing stuff around it not even noticing... I wonder if they thought it was a dog. Anywho, kind of showing up everywhere.
derekt28

Unread postby derekt28 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I voted "no", there is just no way I could shoot a pup. They are totally innocent at that age, wait until they are older and causing damage, and when they can use their senses. At a pup age, they sniff everything they come in contact with.
NRA Life Member
GSSF Member
Certified Glock Armorer
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:52 am

I watched the latest episode of "Carnivore" a bit ago, and they removed 3 yotes that where inundated with ticks and mange, it was nasty. If I seen a pup that was in the same condition as those coyotes that were removed, I would have to put a end to their misery. Coyotes do serve a purpose in the food chain, and they are needed. However, as many of us know that we have entirely too many...

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”