Anyone have luck howling?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Anyone have luck howling?

Unread postby Clevinger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 am

I am going out coyote hunting again this weekend. Given that they are breeding, do you guys think appealing to their territorial instincts with a couple howls is worth it?

Does that work for any of you?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Anyone have luck howling?

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:02 pm

I got some to run right into my set up in the summer with howls... Have not killed any breeders with howls but had them come in and would of killed them but winded me.
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

I would think as territorial as they are and especially during breeding time a howl would be effective this weekend good luck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 am

I have had good success howling during the breeding periods for your exact reason you stated with them being territorial.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Having them come in when howling is a rush. Me and my dad snuck into this beaver damn one afternoon, sat down and I did two challenge howls. I always use a stopwatch to keep my timing correct and when my dad shot this male it was 45 seconds after I started the clock. He came right across the beaver damn with his hair standing up down his neck and back, he was looking for a fight. His girlfriend was trailing him, she got lucky.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:38 pm

That is a great picture vance.

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm

solocam88 wrote:That is a great picture vance.

Thanks, we make a pretty good team, I always call and he does most of the shooting.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:15 pm

Nice!!

Vance, can you elaborate on your use of a stop watch? What do you mean by using it to keep your timing correct?
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:05 am

xpauliber wrote:Nice!!

Vance, can you elaborate on your use of a stop watch? What do you mean by using it to keep your timing correct?

When I call I use a stop watch to time how long I call and how long I don't call in a session. I sit for about 15 minutes for coyotes, I call three times during a sit. I don't call for much longer than 45 seconds X three during a fifteen minute set.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:54 am

vanceg wrote:

When I call I use a stop watch to time how long I call and how long I don't call in a session. I sit for about 15 minutes for coyotes, I call three times during a sit. I don't call for much longer than 45 seconds X three during a fifteen minute set.

Interesting. Have you found that it makes a difference being so particular with your calling sequences?
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:06 am

xpauliber wrote:
vanceg wrote:

Interesting. Have you found that it makes a difference being so particular with your calling sequences?

e
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:59 pm

Just in the Bedroom...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:10 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Just in the Bedroom...

Hahaha howling not squealing ed

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:17 am

I've had good luck howling as well. My caller remote has a built in timer. I start with single Coyote howls for 45 to 60 seconds. I tend to wait 5 to 7 minutes before i make another peep. Then i go into a rabbit/rodent/bird sound every 5 to 6 minutes. Sometimes I switch the sound to another after 20 seconds just to tweek it a bit because so many sounds are somewhat similar sounding. Then at the end I do 3 straight minutes of pup distress, 60 seconds of 3 different pup distress sounds.

All in all I set 45 minutes each set. Maybe overkill but I've called in many dogs with howls after 10 seconds, a few 5-10 minutes on with animal distress, and a half dozen in after 40 minutes of racket anf then have them burn in on pup distress.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:42 am

Vance, that's very interesting that you sit for only 15 minutes. How far are you relocating after each sit? Are you calling with very low volume and moving a shorter distance, or working up to a loud volume and them moving a long ways?

My friends always wanted to hunt like that, quick and out....and it worked some of the time, but I accidentally stumbled on long sits because I hate to leave a good setup too quickly. I started seeing more results from sitting for a while.

I do it a lot like Muddy but my sits are usually 1-2 hours each for coyotes.

- I slowly slip into a great spot that I know is near lots of yote sign and then let it settle down for 10-15 minutes.
- I start off light and low with some mouse squeaks in case something is really close. I just run it non-stop for about 2-3 minutes.
- Assuming nothing comes, I may give a lone female howl.
- Wait about 10-15 minutes for anything...and then start into prey sounds. Mostly cottontail, but sometimes I will throw everything at them. Woodpecker distress, kittens, baby birds, etc. I'll do this on and off for about 10-20 minutes.
- Finally I shut up and wait. I can't tell you how many times yotes come slipping in quietly an hour or more after I go silent.

It's good to know how to "speak coyote" at least a little bit because you will often get into a conversation with them. Most of the time, I get challenge howls thrown back at my lone female calls. So I usually throw out one or two challenge howls back and then after a few minutes of silence go straight into pup distress. Each hunt can be different though. I speak deer and turkey far more fluently than coyote, but I know enough to get by.

If it's a "fox" setup, I do it pretty similar but completely omit coyote sounds. I also spend less time on fox sets. 30-45 minutes and then move on.

However, foxes have done the same thing with slipping in an hour later. I even see the same exact thing when bucks respond to deer calling the same way, especially rattling. Something about a long period of silence lets those more cautious animals think it might be safe to go checkout what was happening. Same for turkeys too...It's basically my "thing". I like to give the cautious animals at least an hour of silence to respond and sometimes longer. They have all seen too many 200# bearded hens, two legged bucks and coyotes wearing cabelas camo.

This has never been more true than the past few years. Not sure if this is a country wide thing but....around here, predator hunting has soared in popularity. 10 years ago I never saw anyone else doing it. 5 years ago I started seeing guys every now and then. Now I run into people all night long. Many of them calling right from their vehicles or loudly walking into a great spot. :roll:

One last thing I've noticed is that quickly rotating through the prey sounds can be dynamite, especially on fox. 20-30 seconds of bird. 20-30 seconds silence. 20-30 seconds of cottontail, 20-30 seconds silence. Keep doing that and suddenly a sound change will trigger them for some reason.

I've actually watched foxes from a distance kind of pacing back and forth at a couple sounds, then suddenly it switches to a new one and they charge the caller. No idea why. To me it seems ridiculous, but discovered that with a buddy some years back.

I've also seen it work the opposite though. Had a few freeze up the second it changed. I saw them too late and was already switching sounds. That puts a halt on their charge.

By the way, who ever said "smart as a fox" never hunted a coyote because foxes are dumb as rocks when compared to coyotes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”