Wi coyote rifle question

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Wi coyote rifle question

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:32 am

If my interpretation of the wi small game regulations is correct, i can use a rifle to hunt coyotes even in an area that is shotgun only during the gun deer season? Anyone care to agree or disagree? Im thinking about doing this but it doesn't seem to make a ton of sense because it kinda throws out the whole purpose behind a "shotgun only deer zone"

[ Post made via Android ] Image

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Re: Wi coyote rifle question

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:22 am

hunter_mike wrote:If my interpretation of the wi small game regulations is correct, i can use a rifle to hunt coyotes even in an area that is shotgun only during the gun deer season? Anyone care to agree or disagree? Im thinking about doing this but it doesn't seem to make a ton of sense because it kinda throws out the whole purpose behind a "shotgun only deer zone"

I understand the confusion. I don't get it either on some of the rules. You can use any method of "modern firearms" which would include a muzzle loader, but during muzzle loader season you can't use "modern firearms"- but some people use rifles. We don't have a shotgun coyote season, you can use "modern firearms" to hunt them, so I guess that would include a shotgun or bow, the way that I understand the "rules". You can't hunt coyotes at night, which I wasn't aware of, but I guess you can in some states- thus the reason for low light scopes and lights.... :think:

It's all a bit confusing at times I suppose...
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 am

hunter_mike wrote:If my interpretation of the wi small game regulations is correct, i can use a rifle to hunt coyotes even in an area that is shotgun only during the gun deer season? Anyone care to agree or disagree? Im thinking about doing this but it doesn't seem to make a ton of sense because it kinda throws out the whole purpose behind a "shotgun only deer zone"

I just looded through WI DNR website- it doesn't make much since to me...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 am

BowtechHunting wrote:
I understand the confusion. I don't get it either on some of the rules. You can use any method of "modern firearms" which would include a muzzle loader, but during muzzle loader season you can't use "modern firearms"- but some people use rifles. We don't have a shotgun coyote season, you can use "modern firearms" to hunt them, so I guess that would include a shotgun or bow, the way that I understand the "rules". You can't hunt coyotes at night, which I wasn't aware of, but I guess you can in some states- thus the reason for low light scopes and lights.... :think:

It's all a bit confusing at times I suppose...

You can coyote hunt at night I think you meant? Or are you talking about a different state? This was a Wisconsin specific question (I can't see where you are from)

I'm just asking the question more specifically towards this time of year, now that there are no deer seasons going on.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:26 pm

Well to answer my own question, I called the DNR Question Hotline and they told me that YES you can use a rifle to hunt coyotes in an area that is shotgun only for gun season, as long as it is not gun season at the time you are using that rifle.
BowtechHunting
500 Club

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 pm

I was just giving a example of how it is here in Kentucky. They never really give you a exact answer on what the rules are. Here you can't hunt coyotes at night- but you can in some states. Sorry for the confusion...
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Hey no problem, I just wasn't sure if you were talking WI or somewhere else because I couldnt see where you are from. I guess we're pretty privileged to get to night hunt yotes here in WI. I havent hunted coyotes a lot but the few times I have it was pretty awesome, full moon and snow on the ground, you can see almost as good as daytime.

And I agree with ya on the hunting regs, it seems like if the game warden wanted to get you he could find some nit picky rule to fine you on. I guess if all else fails I try to just do what I believe is ethical and try to keep us hunters looking like responsible people.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:12 am

If you use a rifle just be careful of the local ordinances. Just because the DNR allows it doesn't mean the township will.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Chris Conroy wrote:If you use a rifle just be careful of the local ordinances. Just because the DNR allows it doesn't mean the township will.

Good call. Might just call the local police station to ask them I guess? Assuming they would be the ones that would show up if I did violate some unknown laws haha.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”