Carlson Choke Tubes

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Carlson Choke Tubes

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:27 am

I called Carlson's today to inquire about the diameter of their Coyote choke tube. They said it was essentially an extra-full turkey choke tube. When I asked what the diameter was they said they couldn't tell me because it was "proprietary" information. :snooty:

Needless to say I was a little put off. If they are just extra full turkey chokes that would put them in the 0.660-0.675" range. I don't see why the exact measurement is a closely guarded secret for a product I just ordered. Their website doesn't list it either. It's not like it can't be measured. :roll:

Is the "Coyote" designation basically just a marketing device? It seems like the turkey chokes would do awesome for coyotes. In fact, it seems like the coyote chokes are just turkey chokes with a different name painted on.

Uncle Lou

Re: Carlson Choke Tubes

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm

That is interesting. No kidding you can measure it when you get it.

Afraid to ask how much for the choke?

I got a H&R TK1 "turkey" choke in my H&R 3 1/2" single. I paid 80 bucks for the gun and like 45 for the dang choke. I do like the gun except it blows me up pretty good. I should go get some coyote hevi shot and compare it to the turkey loads, but those coyote loads are so stinking expensive I probably wont. Just shoot your Turkey loads, pattern and see what happens.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:That is interesting. No kidding you can measure it when you get it.

Afraid to ask how much for the choke?

I got a H&R TK1 "turkey" choke in my H&R 3 1/2" single. I paid 80 bucks for the gun and like 45 for the dang choke. I do like the gun except it blows me up pretty good. I should go get some coyote hevi shot and compare it to the turkey loads, but those coyote loads are so stinking expensive I probably wont. Just shoot your Turkey loads, pattern and see what happens.

I paid $40 bucks for it through Bass Pro Shops online store.

The product will ultimately be judged by its performance, but what customer service like that does is pretty much ensure I would go elsewhere for other chokes in the future.

I am looking for alternative combinations other than the coyote-specific shells which are $$$$$$.

4 buckshot is tried and true, but I am curious about turkey specific shells I already have. I will pattern them out and let you know. The turkey shells, again, are designed to group tightly over longer distances.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 am

I should add that I tried out the choke tube, and it patterned nicely at about 50 yards with 4 buckshot and nitro turkey loads. Thus, desirable choke tube, less than desirable customer service.

It's a glorified turkey choke.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”