Full choke plus turkey loads?

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Full choke plus turkey loads?

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:19 pm

I am new to coyote hunting but have a benelli M2 I would like to use.

Eventually I might try the coyote specific loads and chokes, but for now would a full choke and remington nitro turkey (5 shot) loads be effective for coyotes out to about 50 yards?

Also, I ordered the primos double cottontail call. Will that be effective in an unpressured area for coyotes this time of year?

BigHunt

Re: Full choke plus turkey loads?

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

good luck hunting , its really fun i plan on going out this weekend with this full moon.

i use hevi-shot dead coyote it works wonders well past 60 yards!!!! i also use the dead coyote choke , both combinations are deadly accurate ! ;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:11 pm

That may work 50 yards would be pushing it tho. They are very tough animals. I always take the rifle if i can.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:12 pm

BigHunt wrote:good luck hunting , its really fun i plan on going out this weekend with this full moon.

i use hevi-shot dead coyote it works wonders well past 60 yards!!!! i also use the dead coyote choke , both combinations are deadly accurate ! ;)

Bighunt lets see some of your kills with this

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 pm

solocam88 wrote:
BigHunt wrote:good luck hunting , its really fun i plan on going out this weekend with this full moon.

Bighunt lets see some of your kills with this

:lol: pics are down in the garage on the pic board ...#1 its WAY to cold out to go down there and take pics of the pics ...#2 i really don't feel like getting dressed and going down stairs to take the pics because im to lazy :lol: and #3 i don't have to prove my self to no one!!!! :mrgreen:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Last april me and a buddy were calling birds at a farm in Carson city when suddenly something moving at a good rate behind our decoys caught my eye I said yotes, we both shot he missed mine rolled in mid run it was sweet! We paced how far the dog was away from our spit and we both came up with roughly 70 yards. I shoot a mossburg, tactical turkey model 535. The choke is a( mossburg x-factor turkey). The gun shoots amazing groups with the nitro turkey loads, or maybe I just got lucky but anyways it was a great day in turkey woods.

Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Alright, I broke down and ordered Carlson's Coyote Choke for my Benelli M2. HOWEVER, I looked at the prices for the Dead Coyote shells and feel they are too expensive for my tastes.

Will 4 buckshot or those nitro turkey loads work decently for coyotes through the Coyote Choke?

Turkey loads are supposed to be for tight groups at longer ranges, right? Shouldn't they be awesome for coyotes?
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 am

#4 buck is really popular with some guys i know who do coyote drives and run hounds for them.

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am

gogebicbuckslayer wrote:Last april me and a buddy were calling birds at a farm in Carson city when suddenly something moving at a good rate behind our decoys caught my eye I said yotes, we both shot he missed mine rolled in mid run it was sweet! We paced how far the dog was away from our spit and we both came up with roughly 70 yards. I shoot a mossburg, tactical turkey model 535. The choke is a( mossburg x-factor turkey). The gun shoots amazing groups with the nitro turkey loads, or maybe I just got lucky but anyways it was a great day in turkey woods.

Great combo there! My uncle uses the same gun and loads and its deadly!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 am

Clevinger wrote:

Alright, I broke down and ordered Carlson's Coyote Choke for my Benelli M2. HOWEVER, I looked at the prices for the Dead Coyote shells and feel they are too expensive for my tastes.

Will 4 buckshot or those nitro turkey loads work decently for coyotes through the Coyote Choke?

Turkey loads are supposed to be for tight groups at longer ranges, right? Shouldn't they be awesome for coyotes?

no prob , choose as you will 8-) they are expensive, but pattern both rounds at 60 yards and tell me witch is better....hevi-shot and the hevi-shot choke holds it pattern at long range.

for a good reference this is a turkey load of hevi-shot , see how well it patterns out to 40 yards , the second bird i killed this past spring was 53 yards and i just layed it out!!!!
you could use turkey loads but with such little bbs and lots of them, if your trying to sell or save the pelt it could get ruined at close range, verse the bucks shot that only has a couple BBs and will leave less damage to the hide because of a more expanded area of shot. with the hevi-shot choke even at close range the shot isnt tight like a full tukrey choke, but still holds its pattern out to long range.

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:54 am

BigHunt wrote:
Clevinger wrote:

no prob , choose as you will 8-) they are expensive, but pattern both rounds at 60 yards and tell me witch is better....hevi-shot and the hevi-shot choke holds it pattern at long range.

for a good reference this is a turkey load of hevi-shot , see how well it patterns out to 40 yards , the second bird i killed this past spring was 53 yards and i just layed it out!!!!
you could use turkey loads but with such little bbs and lots of them, if your trying to sell or save the pelt it could get ruined at close range, verse the bucks shot that only has a couple BBs and will leave less damage to the hide because of a more expanded area of shot. with the hevi-shot choke even at close range the shot isnt tight like a full tukrey choke, but still holds its pattern out to long range.

Thanks for your input. I intend to go out and pattern some of these but would like to narrow the choices first.

Who can I sell them to? Our main issue is that there are so many of them around my father-in-law's cattle farm that they are starting to come after things they shouldn't.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Clevinger wrote:
[glow=red]Who can I sell them to?[/glow] Our main issue is that there are so many of them around my father-in-law's cattle farm that they are starting to come after things they shouldn't.

you can sell them to local fur buyers ...go online and see who is around and what times ..if its a good dog you can get some good money ....
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”