Close Range Coyotes

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Close Range Coyotes

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:26 pm

What can I do to eradicate some coyotes in areas where my only tools are the shotgun or a bow? Trapping is not an option either landowner's rules or close proximity to houses and pets. I know a lot of time they hang up out of range or circle way out of range when calling. How can I get them within 50 yards of my set?

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Close Range Coyotes

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:27 pm

use the shot gun. if you watch some to the coyote hunting videos, the hunter has a rifle and a shotgun for close range.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:28 pm

BackWoodsHunter wrote:What can I do to eradicate some coyotes in areas where my only tools are the shotgun or a bow? Trapping is not an option either landowner's rules or close proximity to houses and pets. I know a lot of time they hang up out of range or circle way out of range when calling. How can I get them within 50 yards of my set?

set up were you know they cant get down wind...or use a squeaker call they work great, brings them in those last couple yards
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:use the shot gun. if you watch some to the coyote hunting videos, the hunter has a rifle and a shotgun for close range.

Right but I need them in shotgun range 100% of the time. one place is bow only.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:32 pm

i would use a shot gun .....hevi-shot makes some great loads called dead coyote...they also make a choke for it .....it works wonders ...my mossberg patterns great at 60 yards
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:35 pm

i also use a decoy ..a piece of fur on a shaker.. a little machine that shakes a spring with the fur on it....makes a great visual for the dogs to see
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 pm

I would go with 4/0 buck shot for yotes. Heavy loads should get you out to 60-70 yards. Might even push it to 75-80 on Yotes
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Shotgun and buckshot should work if you set up so they can't cross your ground scent, and they can't circle far down wind.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:04 am

Depending on the hunting pressure they get in that area will dictate how close they will come. I would use a bow and sit in a treestand so you can call and shoot multiple times. Start calling at the absolute last bit of light and be on your toes

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:02 am

If you can get an electronic caller and set it up a little ways away, that's your best bet. They have great eyesight and once they hear the call they sometimes will stay back and look for movement. You may not even know they are there. Around Waukesha they are used to hunters and they are pretty wary to calling. I usually set up about 30 yds from my son and call. I stay hidden and don't even try to shoot. He sits somewhere and looks for the coyotes. We can usually get quite a few every winter this way. The snow really helps pick them out further away. Sitting in a tree and calling them close can be tough. They may see you move if the focus on the source of the sound. For my area I use a dying rabbit call to bring them in from a good distance. If I don't see anything in a little while I move to a new spot. They learn pretty quick to avoid hunters. As soon as the CWD hunt is over I'll be in the Marsh hunting yotes. Good luck!

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:05 pm

I've called in a couple with mouth calls in tight proximity areas and my experience has been that it is incredibly difficult to pull off the shot even with a shotgun. I'm talking about basically sitting in the woods on the ground turkey hunting style. I think a remote call is necessary to be able to see them. They are like a deer only better where they can zero right into your location within a few feet when you are calling.

A couple years ago I was sitting under a pine tree in a woods transitioning from pines to hardwoods to swamp. I thought they would come from the swamp. After some calling and finally a mouse squeak I had a yote come within feet of me and we were face to face but I was setup in the wrong direction. I tried to swing and shoot but he was way too fast. I believe a remote call in this situation would have gotten me an opportunity at least.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
RED OAK

Unread postby RED OAK » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:52 pm

dan wrote:Shotgun and buckshot should work if you set up so they can't cross your ground scent, and they can't circle far down wind.

What tactics do you use to maximize keeping them off your ground scent? I know I have been busted many times by fox/yotes cutting my entrance trail to a set. Nothing like going in and calling and then walking back out after not seeing anything to see tracks coming in then leaving once they smell your entrance route. Maybe walking in to your sets with the wind at your back?

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:52 am

RED OAK wrote:
dan wrote:Shotgun and buckshot should work if you set up so they can't cross your ground scent, and they can't circle far down wind.

What tactics do you use to maximize keeping them off your ground scent? I know I have been busted many times by fox/yotes cutting my entrance trail to a set. Nothing like going in and calling and then walking back out after not seeing anything to see tracks coming in then leaving once they smell your entrance route. Maybe walking in to your sets with the wind at your back?

The biggest thing is knowing where the yotes likely are, and knowing how they are going to react. I don't hunt a spot till the wind is right. They like to come in from down wind most of the time.
When I have a chance I will bump one of my old successful hunt posts and map it out.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:25 am

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:49 am

x2 on the visual aid. some type of moving decoy and a remote call to get them into shotgun range.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”