Question For The Coyote Hunters Out There

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

LenH
500 Club

Question For The Coyote Hunters Out There

Unread postby LenH » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 pm

2 weeks ago at about 6:45am I slowed down my vehicle and was preparing to stop to go fishing and rolled the windows down.

EXACTLY here I heard what had to be a dozen coyotes almost screaming. It sounded like they were only 30 yards from the road.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=43.2 ... 5&t=m&z=15

I questioned my place to go fishing as being potentially dangerous.

The guy I was with was flabbergasted.

We stopped the vehicle and got out.

The first door slamming silenced the yotes.

Would you have fished here?

Southern Man
500 Club

Re: Question For The Coyote Hunters Out There

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:57 pm

It might have creeped me out but yea I would have fished. I've never had a coyote even remotely threaten me. Nor have I ever heard of such, they all run for the hills when they see you. We have a bunch of them here too. Alot of times out my back porch I hear them screamin. I figure they caught a rabbit or something.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Fish! I have ran into yotes and wolves numerous times, they scatter pretty fast. I have been a mile from my truck walking out in the dark and they are going off in every driection, I never get worried, just another critter in the woods.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:26 pm

nothing to worry about ...in most cases, there more scared of you.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Nothing to worry about, but it will make your hair stand up in the dark.... At least it does for me when I hear them close by howeling away and moving towards me.
I had a bunch of yotes mirroring me across a large ravine while elk hunting in Colorado, I think they were just curious, and knew I wasn't a threat either.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:07 am

I have yotes out in the middle of the day right now. Told Dan I heard them on day at 11:55 am and he thought I was nuts and not hearing what I thought I was hearing. Then a week later the kid is down in the woods hammering away making a banging noise and a yote moved in and was barking at him. This was about 10;45 am.

I am hearing them a lot during the day.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
robert richer

Unread postby robert richer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:49 am

I do alot of coyote hunting and have read a bunch about them.

I have plenty of coyotes in my area where I live, suburban area of Milwaukee.....

From my experience and understanding, coyotes will yip and howl when especially a less dominant coyote(s) or pack are hunting and surround thier prey and confuse thier prey so that the alpha male and beta female either obtains the opportunity to make the kill or gets first dibs on the fresh kill.

So what you heard was most likely a kill sight or process of a kill happening.You were in no danger.

I have experienced this and have heard stories of this quite recently matter of fact.

You would be surprised how coyotes either in a pack or one or two are out there within yards from you in the dark. They seem to be active in the dawn or right before. They are curious, opportunists and definately weiry / scared of humans. although if full of rabies or disease they will mess with you.. Sometime you might want to consider a side arm while approaching you deer kill, especially in the dark.

Friend of mine had a dog that was lured close to the edge of the field by a less dominant coyote just by it barking slightly and yipping. Once the dog got into the woods to follow, there were four more waiting for him. Unfortunately for one of the more dominant coyotes (big male) had no idea I was 25 feet up in a deer stand observing all of this and he received a carbon surprise. This is a true story.

If I were to be most caution about coyotes it would be with toddlers, small pets and if I were to be injured (blood) and lame where I couldnt walk and extremely weak. Coyotes will take advantage of the weak.

Carol not sure how old the "kid" was but I'm sure the coyote most likely a young coyote was just being curious and looking for a "weak" opportunity.

My Smith and Wesson .45 along my hip makes me feel better regardless.

Good fishing, enjoy yourself, good experience with hearing the coyotes.............but clean your fish at home. :shifty:
RJR-007
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:26 am

I get a little antsy when i hear yotes hollering in the woods when I'm approaching the woods, but thier just like any other animal, they get tuck tail and run. I do like to listen to them however.
Hilts

Unread postby Hilts » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 am

Earlier this fall I had one walk to within 10 steps of me as I was on the ground at dusk packing up my stand and sticks. I turned around and he stopped. I started talking to him and it didn't seem to bother him. He actually took another step towards me and then just stood there and watched me walk away. It was very unusual. I have never seen one that bold with people before.

I did have a pack circle me one night. They moved out of my way when I started talking to them though.

That being said... I don't get too nervous with yotes around, wolves, now that's another story.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Hilts wrote:Earlier this fall I had one walk to within 10 steps of me as I was on the ground at dusk packing up my stand and sticks. I turned around and he stopped. I started talking to him and it didn't seem to bother him. He actually took another step towards me and then just stood there and watched me walk away. It was very unusual. I have never seen one that bold with people before.

I did have a pack circle me one night. They moved out of my way when I started talking to them though.

That being said... I don't get too nervous with yotes around, wolves, now that's another story.

Funny story. Let me set this up, I was coming in from the grocery about 9PM, and remind you that I live basically in the city/kindasuburbs nothing fancy just a small city...city. Anyways, I hear yotes from time to time at night, but NEVER seen one close. There are wood patches hear and there and a large block of woods a mile as the crow flies. So I'm walking my groceries to the door, open the door and as soon as the door shuts, I seen a yote fly right next to the step between the door and the car less than 3 yards!! He stopped in the front yard let out a series of yips, I dropped my bags ran outside he bolts to edge of the driveway and sits under the street light. I walk towards (wish I had my bow) him at 15yds, and he begins to paw and yip, while my beagle is throwing fits in the house, howling at the top of his lungs! It was awesome! I've never seen one that close to this neighborhood. With that said, I believe yotes in some parts are beginning to get a little comfortable being around humans, as for the most part, they are evolving to see us as not a threat. That's no good....
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 pm

I hate coyotes but theyr'e pretty harmless.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”