click-I dont like that sound

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

click-I dont like that sound

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:32 am

Talked Ellie into going for a walk with me this morning. She got up around 6:45 and I asked her before she knew how cold it was.

It was a brisk 19 degrees with a fresh dusting of snow, so I knew it wouldn't be a long outing. 5 yards from the truck I stopped to point out some tracks, I said "what are these Ellie". In her I know 7 year old tone she said "coyote tracks dad". I had just put four slugs in the magazine of the 870 and wasn't really predator hunting. I had a piece of fabric in the hand holding the gun and a small bag of corn in the other. Was going to throw some bait for later tonight or tomorrow- late antlerless firearm.

As we crested a small hill I look down and spot the coyote. I dropped everything but the gun, put the sights on it and - CLICK.

Never racked one in the chamber.

Ellie was pretty excited I thought she may post her sightings, She saw the coyote and lots of other wildlife this morning. She even helped me push a small thicket with field on three sides where there were some does bedded last saturday and sunday. None today.

Here is a pic of the thicket and ellie waving to all you BEASTS

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
BigHunt

Re: click-I dont like that sound

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:38 am

SWEET encounter Lou........to bad on the click iv had that happen to me before :lol: goose hunting
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:02 pm

I had that "click" sound(with a round in chamber) on my old deer rifle when I had in my scope crosshairs one of the largest bucks I have ever seen in northern WI. :evil: That was my old Model 100 Winchester and even though I loved that rifle it had to go because that was not the first time that happened. Had a few different gunsmiths try to figure the problem out and ended up selling the darn thing and buying a Browning A-bolt.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:44 am

Cool story. I bet Ellie was excited... I was on a deer drive once in sub-zero weather during a late season CWD hunt and had a coyote bust cover and run thru a field right past me. The cold weather had gummed up my shotgun oil and the gun did the ol click on me. I chambered 3 rounds trying to get the gun to go off and finnally when the yote was about 100 yards out and flying I hit the trigger one last time and somehow managed to put one right thru his ears.
There were some of the guys watching and after the drive they asked why I waited so long to shoot... I just smiled and said I like a chalenging shot... :lol:
Then I went home and cleaned the gun and got proper cold weather lube.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:09 am

Cool regarding Ellie pointing out the yote track.

Always a fun morning with the kids in the woods.

Good luck on the upcoming doe hunt.
NightwishMike
500 Club

Unread postby NightwishMike » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:44 am

Cool story Lou. Good luck with the does

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:29 am

Very good stuff, building memories of a lifetime.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”