Setups

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Setups

Unread postby Casper » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:21 am

What do you look for in a spot before you start calling? I have never had any luck calling them in so I would like to learn from anyone who has had some success. I've always used mouth calls, but I will be getting a FoxPro for Christmas. The terrain I hunt his hill country.

The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Setups

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:55 am

There are a lot of people out there that are better predator hunters than me, But I have had some success. For me, I like to have snow, and a large opening downwind so if they circle I can get a shot. I don't do well with mouth calls, and I think that cause the pinpoint where exactly I am... I put out the recorder up wind of me usually, but not always, in an open area and hit the remote from my hiding spot. If I am hunting woods or thick cover I like to hunt out of trees just like for deer. I never used a light, so I did my best at grey light in the mornings. I hunt a spot only for about a 1/2 hour then I move on... If they come in, its usually within minutes of the call starting up. They usually circle downwind, and many times another well placed hunter 100 yards down wind would of gotten the yote.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:06 pm

i look for open areas down wind of me cuz most of the time they come in that way to check to see if the animal is realy hurt .....scenting the area
i use a electronic call and put it up wind of me so if they do come in up wind of me they still be down wind of my decoy
ill call for maby 10- 15 minutes and then move on ...like dan said i see most with in minutes of calling ...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
CowboyColby

Unread postby CowboyColby » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:26 am

Went last weekend and hunted 9 different sets and what we always try to do is set up in some little hills with the wind in our face. I use an electronic caller, a montana coyote decoy, and a mojo critter. I tried a couple sets without the montana decoy and the dogs would hang up around 400 yards. In the places I used all three dogs came running right in to around 20 yards before being shot. Rabbit distress was the sound I had the most luck with and saw 8 coyotes total. The first set up had a double come in and due to not looking at my terrain well enough before hand didn't see a small break in the ground the masked the coyote about 50 yards and lost sight of him until he was leaving and missed a couple shots as he was leaving the other had hung up about 120 yards. Should of shot him first then hit the other as he tried to make his exit. Its all trial and error but alot of fun. Good luck
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Good Stuff Cowboy. Welcome to the site and look forward to your input. Any pics of set ups, kills, or tips would be appreciated. And would love to see your black gun.

Shootemup
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bowman81

Unread postby Bowman81 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:42 pm

I use a remote electronic caller most of the time. I set it out about 50 yds. crosswind of me. That way I usually get a shot at the critter as it swings downwind. I use a duck feather with a string tied to it and an alligator clip as a decoy. I hang it from a bush or twig. The slightest breeze sends it twirling and flicking providing some visual interest to the set.
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:33 am

I'm just getting into it but I have had some success... I like to setup with something downwind of me that a yote wouldn't want to cross like a road or pasture... If I don't have that option I setup crosswind were I can see a decent ways in front of me and to the downwind side of me... Entry is very important, stay away from the patch of woods you expect them to be in and never expose yourself in a field your going to set up on... Use cover to get to your spot, basically treat every field or open area as if its being watched

[size=75][b][i][ Post made via Android ][/i][/b][/size] [img]http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/images/mobile/Android.png[/img]
CowboyColby

Unread postby CowboyColby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 am

Well I lost a calf to coyotes this last weekend so I know how I'm going to spend this coming weekend. There are a couple coyotes out here that have a time clock on their lives. I went and looked around the area the calf was killed and decided on a place to set up. There is an old rock house foundation in the corner of the pasture that borders a CRP field. I'll wait for a south east wind and then set up leaning against the old foundation. Place my montana coyote decoy about 30 yards away and my mojo critter about 15 yards away and hit the rabbit distress maybe have to try the calf bawl sound but am afraid it may draw the cows over to me which I don't want. I'll post up some pictures of my kill. Here is one from last weekend.
CowboyColby

Unread postby CowboyColby » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:01 am

Scratch the pic I they are on my phone and I can't find this website on tapatalk. Anybody have it on their phone?
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Good stuff Cowboy. I dont know about tap a talk, but I shoot my photos from my phone straight to photobucket, then an easy click to post here. Let us know if you need help with that. Tapatalk, maybe one of the younger smart phone users can chime in.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Im not sure what enables it on Tapatalk but I cant hit it. If you use your regular browser, it adjusts for it.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:15 pm

CowboyColby wrote:Scratch the pic I they are on my phone and I can't find this website on tapatalk. Anybody have it on their phone?

I guess the beast isn't tapatalk friendly yet?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”