Wisconsin, now home to 800 wolves

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck snort

Wisconsin, now home to 800 wolves

Unread postby Buck snort » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:04 am

Give or take 500..... Lol

Seriously, how can they put a number on it, how can they possibly count them (serious question)?

http://fox6now.com/2016/06/16/dnr-wisco ... 00-wolves/

stash59

Re: Wisconsin, now home to 800 wolves

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:59 am

Buck snort wrote:Give or take 500..... Lol

Seriously, how can they put a number on it, how can they possibly count them (serious question)?

http://fox6now.com/2016/06/16/dnr-wisco ... 00-wolves/

The article said winter surveys. I'm assuming they do alot of flying then and can get some accurate counts that way.
Buck snort

Unread postby Buck snort » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:46 am

I don't see how it's possible to be accurate. With all the pine trees up there in the north, they could miss hundreds of them.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:01 am

I'm sure they use helicopters as well as planes. Plus they do boots on the ground surveys. Checking tracks, scat piles and other things.

I don't think their missing hundreds.

The other thing to remember is the wolves are gonna be where the deer are. Whitetails don't like deep mature forests. They use the transitions. So that's where the wolves will be also.

Now I'm not saying the DNR's system is perfect. Just that it's in the ball park.

900 wolves eat alot of venison in 1 year.
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:05 am

PETA and all the anti hunting crowd are loving it.
Between bears and wolves the deer don't have a chance.
I also heard the snowshoe hare population is really hurting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:03 am

This doesn't sound good.
http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/40-dogs ... s-puzzled/

Like the MN DNR I am guessing they don't really know how many wolves are out there, worse yet they keep lying about it and the numbers. MN has had 3000 wolves for 30 years now, I wouldn't be surprise if that number was really 10-15,000. You know WI numbers are much higher as well.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:01 am

wolves should be treated the same as coyotes in regards to management = a year round season. That judge might as well put coyotes and gray squirrels on the Endangered Species List also ,, makes the same amount of sense

[ Post made via Android ] Image
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:09 am

john1984 wrote:wolves should be treated the same as coyotes in regards to management = a year round season. That judge might as well put coyotes and [glow=red]gray squirrels[/glow] on the Endangered Species List also ,, makes the same amount of sense
gray squirrels ARE taking over :lol:
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:10 am

olivertractor wrote:
john1984 wrote:wolves should be treated the same as coyotes in regards to management = a year round season. That judge might as well put coyotes and [glow=red]gray squirrels[/glow] on the Endangered Species List also ,, makes the same amount of sense

gray squirrels ARE taking over :lol:
"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
C&T Archery
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ctarchery?ref=hl

Unread postby C&T Archery » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:41 am

800 times what? 5? 6? 7?
http://www.ctarchery.com
email: sales@ctarchery.com

[glow=red]Farmers Insurance -- Chad Ratzburg Agency
FOR A FREE LOOK AT YOUR AUTO, HOME, ATV, BOAT, LIFE OR BUSINESS INSURANCE NEEDS. PM ME OR EMAIL ME
Email: cratzburg@farmersagent.com
[/glow]
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:08 am

john1984 wrote:wolves should be treated the same as coyotes in regards to management = a year round season.

Wish NY would do year around on yotes.

I couldn't imagine having to deal with Wolves

Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:24 am

The wolves are out of control! And yes they are off by 100's. I've talked to a wolf tracker in the north woods. He gave the dnr hiss tally. They told him his numbers were wrong! They estimated my county to be around 30 wolves and broken up into a few packs! What a crock! I must be a wolf magnet than. We hear them almost every single night. And sometimes we hear two or three packs sounding off within ears distance. Something needs to be done! Before it gets way out of control. This next election will determine our fate for wolves. That's my thought anyways.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:54 am

headgear wrote:This doesn't sound good.
http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/40-dogs ... s-puzzled/

Like the MN DNR I am guessing they don't really know how many wolves are out there, worse yet they keep lying about it and the numbers. MN has had 3000 wolves for 30 years now, I wouldn't be surprise if that number was really 10-15,000. You know WI numbers are much higher as well.

Lying about actual numbers may be much closer to the truth. The US Fish and Game lied about how many packs of naturally existing wolf packs were already established in Montana and Wyoming. Before planting the new packs.

But I don't really believe that's happening now. Especially here in the Midwest.

Yes the wolves have been increasing. But also the deer numbers have been decreasing in these areas with established packs. Thus it would stand to reason that coyotes, dogs and other animals will now be targeted for food. With the normal food sources now dwindling.

Maybe we just need to be patient. What always happens when a prey animal diminishes their food source. They get weak, sick and have huge die offs. Nature always strives for balance!!!

This will bite PETA and all the other promoters of unnatural "conservation" efforts right in the behind!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:30 am

When hunting Minnesota the wolf population seems high, but it is no where near what I see in Wisconsin, yet the WDNR claims we have far less... I had about 40 different wolves on my bear baits in Black river falls. Every bait had a wolf pack on it... My baits in Minnesota about one out of 5 got hit, and usually a lone wolf, or two. Not a whole pack. I would say there are thousands of wolves in Wisconsin.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:58 am

Wisconsin is about 56,000 sq mi. North of HWY 8 has about 20,000 SQ. MI. If there is one wolf every 10 SQ. Mi , then it is common sense there are 2,000 wolves north of HWY 8. Price co. is 1,200 SQ MI. It is not outrageous to say there are 120 wolves in Price co. The 2,000 wolf estimate does not even include between HWY 8 and HWY 64. There is plenty of wolf habitat in that area. Then there is Black River State Forest, and other counties that have wolves. There is hardly a doubt there are at least 2,000 wolves in Wis. Most likely more.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”