Coyote Pups

Wolf, Coyote, Fox, Cats, Callings, Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would you shoot coyote puppies?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 66
john1984

Re: Coyote Pups

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 am

I never killed any coyote, missed one last year. Coyotes also put a hurt on pheasant and duck populations. Eating the eggs and sometimes the nesting hen.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Carol
Site Admin

Unread postby Carol » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:45 am

Carol wrote::doh: :doh: :doh: gotta toss pups into this :doh: :doh: :doh:

Rehabber friend of mine is rehabbing a few that will be ready for release real soon

Turns out this 6 pack of pups is NOT releasable!

They came in, eyes closed, after their mom had been shot. Rehabber noticed one had dew claws, which isn't a characteristic of wild canids. One research project the rehabber had considered was DNA sampling coyote intakes to see what percentage of dog DNA was in the mix. So, the rehabber sampled two out of this group. Turns out, they had a grandparent that was a full dog: a collie-west highland white terrier mix. After discussions with the USDA and Department of Fish and Wildlife, it was decided they shouldn't be released. Plus, they never "wilded" up. We know from wolf-hybrids, that even a small amount of dog DNA can remove the fear of humans. Rehabber says "This pack of coyotes is so sweet and loving, unlike any group of coyotes I've ever raised." They are now microchipped, vaccinated, and neutered.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then!

Some People Need a Shock Collar!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:22 am

Interesting stuff how DNA testing can be that specific.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Ragepassthru

Unread postby Ragepassthru » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:30 am

muddy wrote:2 pups mounted into book ends would look sweet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

:D
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:57 am

That'd be cool to have one of those coyote pups above...teach em to howl on command and you have yourself the perfect call :D only thing is if you kept it in the house they might wake you up at night lol.....I love to hunt and have killed several coyotes and bobcats....I don't think I could shoot a pup
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:59 am

KDWP estimates 80,000 coyotes killed by trappers and hunters a year in Kansas.

That is a big dent each year IMO.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
wiscbowhntr
500 Club

Unread postby wiscbowhntr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:16 am

I have killed a pup on two different occassions. One was a couple years back in July. I saw it wandering by itslef twice while checking trailcams. The third time it was realy weak and I didnt have the heart to let it live, it was suffering pretty bad. The other time was last week, I called one in while yote hunting so I guess you cold equate that to shooting a fawn. Not sure if it is considered a pup.
critterbuster

Unread postby critterbuster » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:45 pm

As stated above it is very difficult to manage a coyote population by means of elimination. Out west they have been trapping, poisoning, hunting from aircraft and other means for years and the population remains about the same. Sure it fluctuates, but not much. When their population is reduced below the norm and the food is there they will produce more pups and the majority will be females. The next breeding season the yearling females will be breed. This is out of the norm ….usually the young females will help raise the following spring’s pups then disperse. Coyotes are very efficient at maintaining their population.

The only way I know of to reduce their population is to limit their food intake. Good luck doing this. I worked on the Narragansett Bay Coyote Study " http://theconservationagency.org/coyote/ " where we trapped and GPSed coyotes to monitor their movements and behavior. The findings are based around food and cover. Sound familiar?

First post here for me…. Very cool board and I look forward to reading and posting....
Save a deer... shoot a poacher
--dave
TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Unread postby TJS » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:43 am

I never had the chance but if I ever do I will. My father shot many coyotes in his day and he always told me that after every coyote he shot, he wouldn't move for about 30 minutes, hoping the dead coyotes family was around to see it. I don't quite have that much hatred towards coyotes, but age is not a factor to me.
When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:37 am

When I was a teenager a litter of coyote pups was raised on a farm I hunted. They were very visible, I ran into them first turkey hunting when they were only a few pounds each, they came running right up to me and I got some photos of them. They were cute!

Well...the summer wore on and and they got less cute. They got to be about half grown and the deer just about disappeared off that farm, I spent a lot of time glassing it and scouting. I would see more coyotes than deer every trip, so I picked up my .22 and went to work....got 4 of the 5 pups and two adults over the next couple months but only one was a parent. I think the other adult I shot was a loner male. The one pup and adult left came by me bowhunting and I almost got another one with the bow but missed. Next year there were a lot more deer around. There were still yotes in the area but not a pack of them RIGHT THERE all the time.

Would I shoot them that size again? Hard to say but probably. "Cute" is entirely a human creation.
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:39 am

I put yes but I never have been in that situation. So I don't know if I could pull the trigger.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:51 am

I don't think I could but that's my heart telling me not my head . Perhaps I am too soft as I see coyotes as my buck eaters and those poor fawns. Imagine a fawn unable to run or escape and being ate alive without being able to defend itself that In 4 years will be a smart beautiful buck. Nature can be cruel we as humans are the ultimate predator I wouldn't feel bad either decision it's part of the life cycle just which life to save and take is the decision.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Predator Hunting”